English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 June 2019, 03:23   #1
studio460

Can macOS or non-UAE Windows PC manage files on an Amiga-formatted USB-thumbdrive?

I don't own an Amiga floppy drive. I have an A1200 coming with an installed Gotek with a supplied USB-thumbdrive with Workbench 3.1 on it. Can macOS or non-UAE Windows PC manage files on an Amiga-formatted USB-thumbdrive?
Old 17 June 2019, 03:25   #2
studio460

[Side-topic: PCMCIA-CF reader:]

Can macOS or non-UAE Windows PC format/manage files on CF media to be read in an Amiga?

If it's easier/faster, I can also install my PCMCIA-CF reader as a readable volume in Workbench. Then I still have to somehow transfer files to the CF card on a macOS or non-UAE Windows machine.

Apparently I have to "install" fat95 and compactflash.device (the newer version) on the Amiga for it to recognize the CF media. According to another member here, that's all he did and then his Amiga instantly recognized the volume (the only issue was, he reported that he was unable to format CF cards in his Amiga). Found out how to "install" fat95 and compactflash.device in this post here. Basically:

Copy "compactflash.device" to: SYS:DEVS
Copy "fat95" to: SYS:L
Copy "CF0" to SYS:DEVS/DOSDrivers

Update: To make life easier, I just purchased EasyADF and EasyADF Update from AmigaKit. They state that they will also e-mail the ADFs upon request (since I don't own an Amiga floppy drive), so I requested that in the comments.

Last edited by studio460; 17 June 2019 at 03:32.
Old 17 June 2019, 04:01   #3
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I don't own an Amiga floppy drive. I have an A1200 coming with an installed Gotek with a supplied USB-thumbdrive with Workbench 3.1 on it. Can macOS or non-UAE Windows PC manage files on an Amiga-formatted USB-thumbdrive?
Gotek is managed on any computer that can access usb drive.

Disk images in form of ADF are put on to the root of the drive and accessed via boot prompt (when Gotek is set to 000 I believe)

I'm not sure why you needed to buy an ADF Transfer kit however, unless you have a floppy drive that you wish to write ADF to?
Old 17 June 2019, 06:10   #4
studio460

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Gotek is managed on any computer that can access usb drive . . .
Oh, great! So either my iMac or Windows10 PC can read and write to the Amiga-formatted USB-thumbdrive?

Quote:
Disk images in form of ADF are put on to the root of the drive and accessed via boot prompt (when Gotek is set to 000 I believe) . . .
Cool. I only have a handful of ADFs I need to install.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you needed to buy an ADF Transfer kit however, unless you have a floppy drive that you wish to write ADF to?
No, I don't own an Amiga floppy drive. I just thought for $6, I get a tool that puts the correct, up-to-date files in the appropriate directories to enable my PCMCIA-CF adapter (i.e., one less thing to figure out if I ran into trouble). Then I can begin using my PCMCIA-CF reader to transfer files to my internal 8GB DOM instead of the much slower Gotek device (still have to figure out that patch to use all 8GB of the DOM).

Last edited by studio460; 17 June 2019 at 06:18.
Old 17 June 2019, 08:36   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Oh, great! So either my iMac or Windows10 PC can read and write to the Amiga-formatted USB-thumbdrive?
The thumb drive must be formatted fat32 to be usable with the Gotek. The ADFs on the thumb drive are then inserted into the virtual gotek floppy drive using the user interface (display + buttons) of the gotek.
Old 17 June 2019, 10:12   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

@studio460
AmigaOS can read and write Pendrive, MemoryCard with native AmigaosOS or PC-WinDOWS filesystems.

If you want to Partition and format with AMiGA FileSystem a Pendrive or a MemoryCard you must first initialize it and with HDToolBox and with this tool create partitions, after a restart you can format.

If you want to display a Pendrive or a MemoryCard with a PC Filesystem (FAT) on AmigaOS you have to mount these devices through a Mountlist as you did for floppy PCs (PC0,PC1 etc..).

In the screenshot you can see a partitioned and formatted pendriver in FFS
In the video you can see the Mount/Dismount of two MemoryCards in FAT

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 July 2019 at 09:15.