English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 October 2009, 02:46   #21
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Thanks. If it was taken from a sort of "level editor" I would've been right instead

It's always a decent guessing game if you don't have enough context. Surely you won't disagree with me that even from German to English, I may completely mistranslate things although I know both languages very well.
Not until I've launched the game, I finally know the actual context ...

example of an adventure game:

"Ich kann sie nirgends finden!" ("I can't find [...] anywhere!")

"sie" may be a girl ( = "her"), or also some things or persons in plural (= "them").
Solely depending on where in the game this text actually appears
Old 07 October 2009, 07:59   #22
Jope
-

Sure. And I can't really say that TurboRaketti II has a very intuitive user interface for the turboranking (the instructions for name entry say enough, I think). It's quite impossible to translate correctly unless you have played it. :-)
Old 07 October 2009, 21:21   #23
Rixa

Quote:
Originally Posted by absence View Post
Which meaning of sweet is it? Sugary, friendly/kind, nice-smelling, nice-sounding, etc.?
Like I said, it's not a word that is very familiar to me, it's probably more used in some other region. But anyways, I meant sweet as in 'cool level!', not as in 'such sweet little puppies!'.

according to wiktionary it is sweet only when used figuratively, like of a smile or an expression - and probably like its used here unless its telling of the taste of the liquid in that pool. But even though its sweet, there's more to it. Perhaps a bit smug or bitter-sweet? I asked someone how they would describe a muikea smile and they replied with the smiley :>

Wiktionary says that when it describes a taste its actually sour, but people I asked did not agree. Perhaps someone from some other region has more insight.

Regarding my 'awkwardly translated' bit: I agree that it's awkward but so is the original - it actually speaks of the menu appearing 'in your field of vision' and it sounds just as odd in Finnish. Its clearly just the author being cute after making such a fuss over only writing in the middle of the box, even though thats all you can do there. Which he also states.

Suppose it's between hard and impossible to be really true to the source material, and there's not that big a body of text to begin with. Perhaps it would be better to just make everything proper English and maybe add some new gags in the same spirit where they fit, if possible. But please translate 'BENZIINIÄ' as 'GAZOLINE'. I mentioned this earlier but omitted it by accident in my bigger posting. The word is just gasoline with an s substituted by z for either cuteness or to suggest that the ships run on some sort of alternate fuel.

By the way, there is a background story to the game. It was shipped as a printout with the floppies sent to registered users. It's short, silly and has little to do with the gameplay - I think it said something about parallel-orcs attacking colonies of refugees from doomed earth and arranging for individuals to fight it out against a clone of their own with those ships. Just FYI.

Quote:
As for the problems on newer Amigas, do you know what is required to make it work?
The ship graphics break if the mouse pointer is in high-res. The other graphics break if SetPatch has been ran. I'm not sure why, but I find that running tude fmode=1x will fix it. The tude documentation hints that with higher rates the data needs to be properly aligned in memory, so it probably isn't. Perhaps it could be fixed?

Of the final two letters in the little graphic; I can't think what they might be an abbreviation of.

This project of yours sounds really nice, particularly since the original source code has been lost in a hard drive crash.
Old 08 October 2009, 00:27   #24
absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
I asked someone how they would describe a muikea smile and they replied with the smiley :>
It looks gullible. Or corny.
Quote:
Suppose it's between hard and impossible to be really true to the source material, and there's not that big a body of text to begin with. Perhaps it would be better to just make everything proper English and maybe add some new gags in the same spirit where they fit, if possible.
That's probably the best. We'll see what happens.
Quote:
By the way, there is a background story to the game. It was shipped as a printout with the floppies sent to registered users. It's short, silly and has little to do with the gameplay - I think it said something about parallel-orcs attacking colonies of refugees from doomed earth and arranging for individuals to fight it out against a clone of their own with those ships. Just FYI.
Haha, cool. I didn't know that. It very much reflects the whacky menu text.
Quote:
The ship graphics break if the mouse pointer is in high-res. The other graphics break if SetPatch has been ran. I'm not sure why, but I find that running tude fmode=1x will fix it. The tude documentation hints that with higher rates the data needs to be properly aligned in memory, so it probably isn't. Perhaps it could be fixed?
I searched a bit on the net, and it seems SetPatch sets the fetch mode to a high rate, requiring stricter alignment. Fixing the alignment of the game data is probably more than I'd bother (the code is very unstructured, so it's hard to find all the places that need fixing), so the easiest would be to set the fetch mode to 1x while the game is running. I really have no experience coding for the Amiga, I've been doing this with a 68k manual and the hardware reference close at hand. My naïve approach of clearing the FMODE register did not work, so I'm not quite sure what to do. Not much point in trying to fix the sprites as long as the screen is completely garbled, so I'll leave that for later.
Quote:
Of the final two letters in the little graphic; I can't think what they might be an abbreviation of.
It could always be something really obscure, like the initials of a name. The author probably knows, but he still hasn't returned my e-mail.
Quote:
This project of yours sounds really nice, particularly since the original source code has been lost in a hard drive crash.
I'll release the new "source" when I'm happy with it if anyone wants it. I'll try to ask the author first, but according to the readme of the 1998 release as a free version, he'd have released the source if it wasn't lost, so it's probably ok. There are plenty of bugs and opportunities for optimisation. I probably won't do too much with it, as I'm more interested in porting it to cross-platform.
Old 08 October 2009, 00:42   #25
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

hey, i never saw this thread. sounds interesting

Rixa - I hope you do re-consider doing a whdload slave with translations. It'd be welcomed i feel. Maybe you could just do a slave that supports both original and translated versions - that'd be a lot easier i think!

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 08 October 2009 at 01:16.
Old 08 October 2009, 10:04   #26
Jope
-

Quote:
Regarding my 'awkwardly translated' bit: I agree that it's awkward but so is the original - it actually speaks of the menu appearing 'in your field of vision' and it sounds just as odd in Finnish. Its clearly just the author being cute after making such a fuss over only writing in the middle of the box, even though thats all you can do there. Which he also states.
Indeed, but while the Finnish version was sort of cute, it's quite difficult to convey the same cuteness while keeping it understandable. :-)

Sorry for attempting to fix your translations, don't get mad. ;-)
Old 13 October 2009, 00:20   #27
Evore
SuperDude

Quote:
Wiktionary says that when it describes a taste its actually sour, but people I asked did not agree. Perhaps someone from some other region has more insight.

Well, according to official explanation, muikea means:

Finnish dictionary:
Virallinen selitys (Nykysuomen sanakirjan mukaan):
Muikea: 1. hapan, hapahko, (happamen) kirpeä
2. vars. kuv. makoisa, makea; imelä, makeileva

The most accurate explanation for muikea in this case would be "sweet and sour", since this word means two things at the same time, sweet and sour - like the taste of the sweet and sour sauce.

This word is not in common use. Not many Finns know the meaning even after having read the explanation from the dictionary.

Last edited by Evore; 13 October 2009 at 00:36.
Old 25 June 2013, 03:20   #28
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

Was this ever finished?
Old 25 June 2013, 07:43   #29
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It must have been too hard to translate!
I mean eg. how do you possibly translate correctly "Et kilistä mun kassakonetta!" or "Piti perkele mennä persettä tarjoamaan!"
(taken from the TurboRaketti homepage)
Old 25 June 2013, 09:10   #30
absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroelsDK View Post
Was this ever finished?
Unfortunately not, I got caught up trying to port the game to C++, which is a time consuming task. There's only so much time in a day...
Old 21 January 2015, 20:56   #31
TurboRAKETTI

Time passed...
Is there still a chance that the dream of TurboRAKETTI in english will come true?
Is there any way to help you?
I have made an overview of the translation which might be useful:
http://turboraketti.bplaced.net/Turb...ranslation.htm

Old 22 January 2015, 01:52   #32
absence

Nice overview! If I some day finish the cross-platform port/reimplementation it will probably contain a translation. Unfortunately there has been no progress lately. Disassembly requires lots of time and patience, but shifts in my priorities has left far less time for it. While there's always a chance, I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen soon. Useful help would be to identify the exact fonts in the images I posted so translated text can maintain its original look. I'm afraid it won't bring the port closer to completion however.
Old 22 January 2015, 21:00   #33
TurboRAKETTI

The fonts are called dpaint (size 5) and topaz (size 8).

Old 22 January 2015, 23:51   #34
absence

Nicely spotted! The DPaint font lacks all kinds of glyphs, so I guess those were simply drawn by hand. Topaz isn't used in any of the images except the title screen however. There are also other fonts, like the big word "keskelle", "benziiniä", the huge "voitit", the menu, etc.
Old 23 January 2015, 09:13   #35
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
TurboRaketti is NOT in Hall of Light? Even Lemonamiga has it!
Old 23 January 2015, 11:16   #36
TurboRAKETTI

Yes. They have their reasons... No PD etc....

Old 23 January 2015, 12:04   #37
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRAKETTI View Post
Yes. They have their reasons... No PD etc....
Code:
The legal owner of this copy of the game:
  (name, address)

NB!!! This program is not PD, so do not copy or otherwise distribute
  it, but conveniently order your own version by mail at address:

(name, address)
  Tel (941) 741 786

Price only 36 FIM + postage
Old 23 January 2015, 16:18   #38
daxb

I`m also a fan of Turboraketti (played it many nights with a friend in the nineties) and would like to see a translation to english (must not be complete). At least a whdload install exists since 09.06.2014. 2003, tripper did a translation of the statistic screen for me.

@absence:
Wouldn`t it easier or less time consuming to rewrite TR instead of making a cross platform port from disassembler source?
Old 23 January 2015, 19:37   #39
TurboRAKETTI

The Hall of Light considers TR as some crappy shareware-game...?

Old 25 January 2015, 12:22   #40
absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Wouldn`t it easier or less time consuming to rewrite TR instead of making a cross platform port from disassembler source?
I haven't been porting the machine code opcode by opcode, so in that sense what I started is more like a rewrite. Problem is that without source code I'd have to guess at all the details, like how to implement ship handling, gravity, etc. so it wouldn't feel like the original game. The disassembly is just for understanding all the details.