English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 16 November 2002, 12:40   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile REQ: Metal Masters (cracked (!) 2-disk version)

Hi,

before you shout "look in TOSEC!" please listen first.
The DEFJAM version doesn't seem properly cracked, maybe just hacked.

It IS a 2-disk version, but after one fight, the following happens:
You get a manual check. This manual check CANNOT be passed successfully with the DEFJAM version, just try it out yourself. After three false tries, the game resets and you can't go on.
I also tested the other versions without [cr .. ] with same results.

The only version that works beyond the manual check is the Superjammers crack, but it's one-disked and all the nice intro stuff is ripped away.

So, does anyone have a good 2-disk version?
Or could anyone upload the DEFJAM version from a CD? I doubt the disk 2 named [cr Defjam] in TOSEC is really the "original" disk 2 from that crack! It could also be a disk 2 from an original version, this would explain it all!

Last edited by andreas; 16 November 2002 at 13:10.
Old 16 November 2002, 19:29   #2
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Well, I have a 2-disk Defjam version here on disk, which I just wanted to delete, because I think this game isn't that good to keep it on real Amiga disks...
I have both disks, but I am not sure if this would be of any help since it is the mentioned Defjam crack, with an additional trainer menu done by Style.
Now I wanted to check for the fault after level 1 by playing wih trainer, but I have no idea how I can select the unlimited money in this stupid Style trainer menu.
The only thing which is great is the music in this intro !! It reminds me from some other music, but I cannot remember where I know it from ???

Should I tranfer my disks and upload them ? ( would disk 2 alone be enough ? )
Old 16 November 2002, 20:06   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Ok, I played this game now, and I was very astonished what an ultima pile of crap it is !!
The programmer of this nonsense must have had his mind stuck in his ass, or otherwise I cannot imagine how someone could have this brilliant idea to let a game be controlled via joystick put into port 1 !! ( normally mouse port in a one player game ), instead of port 2, like it is in 99.9% of all games.

But ok, after the first level there comes this protection also on my disks, and after clicking anything the game loads a little bit and then fucks up in a black screen.

There is just one thing that surprises me:
There are some names of people stored on my disks that must have played this game earlier, and some of them are in higher levels, like 10 ! So they must have known a way to overcome the protection.
I think I will upload both disk as soon as I have transferred them.
Old 16 November 2002, 20:42   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Smile

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc
The programmer of this nonsense must have had his mind stuck in his ass, or otherwise I cannot imagine how someone could have this brilliant idea to let a game be controlled via joystick put into port 1 !! ( normally mouse port in a one player game )
Hey, calm down.
As you got the game on real disk, could you try on your REAL Amiga if you can control the game with MOUSE?
I think on the real thing it should work, WinUAE is a little "stubborn" still with the mouse control in this game.
Old 16 November 2002, 22:15   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Okay I have compared the Original Disk2 with the Defjam disk 2 and the only differences are:

The bootblock and any "Empty" tracks/sectors are all that is different.

The Empty tracks on the original are filled with the following byte sequence: 44 5F 53 E6 44 5F 53 ET 44 5F 53 E8 44 5F 53 E9
and a couple of other variations (like WCOPY WCOPY) repeated.

The Defjam disks simply have BLANK (00) repeated, empty data.

So it looks like the DEFJAM crack disk 2 is a slightly modified origial disk2

While i'm at it the alternate version simply has a different bootblock (both disks, 858 bytes different).
Old 16 November 2002, 22:29   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Okay I just compared the files on DISK2 of the Defjam crack with the same files on the superjammers 1 disked version and found that the files are EXACTLY the same, (They are crunched with Imploder on the Superhammers crack!)

I also compared the files with those on the original (Comparing all 3) and they are identical, so it looks like it hasn't been cracked properly!
Old 16 November 2002, 22:39   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Okay I might have a version here that works (Well I have been playing about, and hopefully fixed it myself!)

I tried it but WinUAE just dies after the protection check (It does seem to start loading though!), this is probably a bad config, can you post your config and I'll retry it.

Laters
Old 17 November 2002, 00:23   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
Okay I just compared the files on DISK2 of the Defjam crack with the same files on the superjammers 1 disked version and found that the files are EXACTLY the same, (They are crunched with Imploder on the Superhammers crack!)
Might be, but this one works! (Superjammers version)
After one (!) mere random try with the manual check, you do get the "OK" from the game to continue your fight.
Quote:
I also compared the files with those on the original (Comparing all 3) and they are identical, so it looks like it hasn't been cracked properly!
My words. Therefore this thread.
Unless the TOSEC disk 2 is not the disk 2 from the original DEFJAM crack release! That's also a problem .. so if someone got the disk 2 of the DEFJAM version from BBS days (preferably DMS), there might be a chance to get a cracked disk 2! Twist?

Thanks for testing, bippym!

Please put your version in the zone. I'll try to find a working config ASAP.

Last edited by andreas; 17 November 2002 at 00:28.
Old 17 November 2002, 00:29   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

You didn't understand..

The superhammers crack works right?

Well the files on the superhammers disk that also appear on the original were compared and are also EXACTLY the same, so the DISK2 is NOT the problem.

The main .exe (m1. or m.) have not been cracked properly!

I'll up mine to the zone!

Last edited by BippyM; 17 November 2002 at 00:34.
Old 17 November 2002, 00:34   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
You didn't understand..

The superhammers crack works right?
Yes, (It's SPELLJAMMERS, btw .. nevermind )

Try it out yourself if you don't believe it
You complete your first round of the fight, you get the manual check and after 1 try, the game will let you pass. I swear.

[EDIT] I think i DO understand now...
The "preparations" for the cracked version to pass the manual check are not done on DISK TWO, but on DISK ONE!
So it's disk one of the DEFJAM version that's not properly cracked, right mate?

Last edited by andreas; 17 November 2002 at 00:54.
Old 17 November 2002, 00:40   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Right, I did test it and got the problem Overdoc got It did NOT reset, so maybe I am using an incompatible config.

Have you EVER tried this game before that actually worked, cuz ALL the files work!

It looks like it hasn't been cracked properly!

Try mine, it asks for the protection, then goes thru, the disk tries reading some tracks then it freezes
Old 17 November 2002, 18:26   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Cool

Okay, thanks goes again to bippym for trying to get a cracked version by mixing the improperly cracked DEFJAM version and the well-cracked, but shortened Spelljammers version, but unfortunately it did NOT work.

The copy protection seems to be a bit smarter than it looks, thus it can obviously withstand attempts to bypass it by just copying over some files from another version.

So what we need is another crack!
Old 17 November 2002, 20:58   #13
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

@ Andreas:

I played it on the real thing, ofcourse ( since I have it on real disks )
I think it is not possible to play it via mouse. I did't find an option where mouse control/joystick control can be set.
So, since port 1 is configured for joystick inputs it cannot be configured to accept mouse inputs at the same time. But when you have a mouse connected to port 1 and move it around you can get some movements by chance, but you cannot control the game since this is just happening by chance now and then.
Maybe that was the reason you thought it can be played by mouse ?

I have also transferred my disks now, but later found out that both have a virus on them ( lamer exterminator & byte bandit )
So I think I'll better not upload them....

But I am still wondering how these guys stored on my disks can have played this game so far (some level 7, 8, some even level 10 !! ) when there is this copyprotection after level 1 ???
Old 17 November 2002, 21:50   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc
@ Andreas:

I played it on the real thing, ofcourse ( since I have it on real disks )
I think it is not possible to play it via mouse. I did't find an option where mouse control/joystick control can be set.
So, since port 1 is configured for joystick inputs it cannot be configured to accept mouse inputs at the same time. But when you have a mouse connected to port 1 and move it around you can get some movements by chance, but you cannot control the game since this is just happening by chance now and then.
Maybe that was the reason you thought it can be played by mouse ?
Exactly! And you can use the mouse buttons for shooting fire at your opponent, so this must have worked somehow in the original, maybe the DEFJAM guys messed up everything which can be messed up in any way!
Quote:
I have also transferred my disks now, but later found out that both have a virus on them ( lamer exterminator & byte bandit )
So I think I'll better not upload them....
Yes, please send me an e-mail (profile) and I'll upload the disks after I removed ALL the viruses! OK?
Quote:
But I am still wondering how these guys stored on my disks can have played this game so far (some level 7, 8, some even level 10 !! ) when there is this copyprotection after level 1 ???
Speaking of "stored"...

That's another thing that worries me a lot!
With the DEFJAM version, after *not* passing the copy protection, Disk 2 is not validated anymore!
Try it out and then boot from Disk 2! It works but "Please insert volume L in any drive" is definitely a symptom for a disk that lost its validation state. I think it's long word 79 (or 78) in the Root Block (#880) that's changed from FFFFFFFF to 00000000 by some stupid routine!
Grr, I hate that!

But thanks for testing in any case!
Old 17 November 2002, 21:55   #15
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Ok, I found something out:

1) Disk 1 is just the intro disk. It isn't needed for the game and the game will boot straight from disk 2

2) If you boot from disk 2 directly then the copyprotection is disabled

This solves the problem, but doesn't cure the fact that this is a fu$%ing, fu$&ing crapgame !!!