English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 04 October 2005, 22:02   #21
lopos2000
Zone Friend

I do apologies. Was a bit quick with that statement. I did not mean to upset anybody.
Old 04 October 2005, 22:11   #22
RetroMan

Please don´t take this as a personal attack or something ! It´s just that we mods do need help from the regular forum users to do the best out of our job .... I just wanted to point that out
Old 04 October 2005, 22:34   #23
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Please don´t take this as a personal attack or something ! It´s just that we mods do need help from the regular forum users to do the best out of our job .... I just wanted to point that out
None taken.
Old 05 October 2005, 11:41   #24
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I do so sincerely hope that EAB doesn't turn into the modern world equivalent of silence, because anyone is too afraid to say anything lest it offends someone.

The fact is, just about anything anyone says has the capacity to offend someone else, but where do you draw the line? I get sick and tired having to keep up with the phraseology of what I can say and can't say just in case I offend someone.

I get sick of the assumption that because I say something 'wrong', the other persons reaction is automatically to assume I'm homophobic or racist.

An example: Black people..... or is it now coloured.... or is it now people of colour.... or is it African American...

Or, Gay people.... or is it homosexual people.... or is it faggot... or is it.... well you get the general idea.

I have nothing against gay or black people, someones sexual orientation or the colour of their skin bothers me not one bit. But I do hope that EAB doesn't have to turn into the forum where absolutely everything is having to be analysed because it 'might' offend someone. Political correctness has only one place, and thats consigned to the bin!

When I hear gay people talking to each other and calling each other faggot, i'm guessing the word has lost its power to offend. When I hear black people call each other n*gger, i'm guessing that the word is losing its ability to offend, despite the fact I've just had to put an '*' in it, because of course as a white male its not acceptable for me to use the word, i'm guessing because it would be deemed as racist. Which in itself is a racist assumption that I would use the word in that way.

Just my two pence worth.
Old 05 October 2005, 11:48   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Oh, and this isn't a pop at Bippy either. He's doing a sterling job.
Old 05 October 2005, 11:56   #26
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Political correctness has only one place, and thats consigned to the bin!
I agree with this 100%.

I would say more but its political so Ill refrain.
Old 05 October 2005, 12:41   #27
woody57

I heartily agree with both Galahad Flt & Dastardly you cannot offer real opinion without expresion , the guideline's should only be applied to if an answer is in fact pertinent to the thread, as opposed to having to apply word filters to your normal phrasing.

However the subject of deliberate personal attacks is a seperate issue & biggoted or agressive responses to fellow posters was I believe the real issue being raised by METHANIODas opposed to your indispuitable right to describe hardware,software and and services as whatever derisory string of invective you wish to use .

Just my opinion of course
Old 05 October 2005, 14:01   #28
BippyM
Global Moderator

There are no issues here with the general chat etc.. what we don't want to see are people being attacked, called names etc.. we come here to read about amiga and have some fun.. I agree 100% with something Woody said in another thread regarding members posting obscene or non-warranted stuff in on-topic threads.. we have off-topic for that kind of thing..

RCK is well aware of what is going on here atm and he is going to look into a solution as soon as he is back (about a week)
Old 07 October 2005, 14:10   #29
RCK
Administrator

I'm with Bippym, Galahad/FLT on this topic, I think my opinion could be resumed with Bippym's sentence:
Quote:
I don't have a problem with posting random shite in off-topic as long as:
1). It isn't racist, political or religous or overly nasty towards another member
2). Its not sick, over rude or gory
Now if any member feel offended, they should use the "Report bad post" link so moderators could take action like temp ban IF they feel it's justified.

ps: remember that we are a huge community and we can't have whole members happy, it's life !
ps2: I have no problem to temp ban people who are not speaking of Amiga and start fighting themselves