English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 November 2022, 19:02   #1
ImmortalA1000

Did the Amiga ever have an analogue steering wheel?

Not that Freewheel bullshit or whatever it was called like the one used on Wii racing games, a proper steering wheel like on OutRun arcade cab or that was sold for Playstation/PC etc.

Did they even exist before Windows 95/PS1 era?

I am thinking of making one that is variable digital so you get the benefits of analogue wheel without having to re-code games to support it by using joystick left/right control lines on the D9 port.
Old 18 November 2022, 19:08   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Wonder if that should be doable using mouse signals
Old 18 November 2022, 19:25   #3
ImmortalA1000

Do you mean adapting a PC steering wheel to use mouse control in a game (yes that is possible with a bit of 3D printing for some parts) or the way I am thinking of doing it (which is for games that only use joystick control like Lotus II etc)?
Old 20 November 2022, 17:56   #4
Daedalus

There are a few driving games that can use the mouse for pseudo-analogue steering.

I don't remember seeing an Amiga-specific wheel other than the Freewheel (which came in analogue and digital varieties), but IIRC there were a couple of digital ones from the likes of Quickshot in the 8-bit era that could be used with the Amiga - I remember one that even had pedals. The PC had analogue wheels and pedals that produced the same signals as an analogue joystick and could be connected to the Amiga with a simple adaptor. I didn't have one, but I did love playing F1GP on the Amiga with an analogue stick. It was like a brand new game having the analogue control.
Old 20 November 2022, 19:27   #5
modrobert
old bearded fool

The Amiga have paddle pins in the joystick port which could be used for steering wheel, but don't remember any racing game using it?

https://old.pinouts.ru/InputCables/A...y_pinout.shtml
Old 20 November 2022, 20:21   #6
Zak
Zap´em

I have made an adapter back the day for using an analogue joystick, the ones that you can plug into a PC soundcard. There are Amiga games, that you can use it with, I think F1GP was one of them, but it was a long time ago and I could memorize wrong, but there definetely are Amiga games for analogie joysticks and I used them. Isn't a steering wheel just a big analogue joystick? I never used a steering wheel, but I think it is.

You know, analogue joysticks would have to be calibrated or something, you can't just plug them in and use them with any game. The game has to be ready for them.
Old 20 November 2022, 20:36   #7
Daedalus

Yep, as I posted above, F1GP supports analogue controllers, and an analogue steering wheel is just a fancy paddle (as is each axis of an analogue joystick), which the Amiga has supported since day 1.
Old 20 November 2022, 21:10   #8
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yep, as I posted above, F1GP supports analogue controllers, and an analogue steering wheel is just a fancy paddle (as is each axis of an analogue joystick), which the Amiga has supported since day 1.
Sorry, I didn't read enough before posting. There were also other games for analogue joysticks, but I don't exactly remember them. F1GP is the best.
Old 21 November 2022, 00:25   #9
Daedalus

All good Yeah, most flight sims supported analogue sticks too - Birds of Prey, Tornado and F1GP were the games that I used an analogue stick for quite a bit.
Old 21 November 2022, 02:53   #10
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There are a few driving games that can use the mouse for pseudo-analogue steering.

I don't remember seeing an Amiga-specific wheel other than the Freewheel (which came in analogue and digital varieties), but IIRC there were a couple of digital ones from the likes of Quickshot in the 8-bit era that could be used with the Amiga - I remember one that even had pedals. The PC had analogue wheels and pedals that produced the same signals as an analogue joystick and could be connected to the Amiga with a simple adaptor. I didn't have one, but I did love playing F1GP on the Amiga with an analogue stick. It was like a brand new game having the analogue control.
Off the top of my head I remember Indy 500 had mouse support, also I think either No Second Prize or the Psygnosis polygon motorbike game did too.

It is possible to build a larger version of the mouse wheels and attach them to the shaft of any modern console,PS2 etc, or PC steering wheels.

It's a shame Sega never did a proper steering wheel for the Saturn, Sega Rally was a work of art technically, sublime to play but no proper steering wheel.

My idea is basically to build about 10 'flashing light circtuits' and use 5 each for left and right lines on the joystick and the circuits pulse the signal at increasing rates from once every 2 seconds to 2 or 3 times a second. Position 6 is full on grounded left/right signal line to the joystick. You could do the same with the brake and accelerator control too. If I ever build a workshop I would build a Lotus II sit down cab like the old Pole Position arcade cab and fit that system inside it. Could do it for Lotus III but no idea if my A1200 even works, been in the box for 8 years now. Judging by the A600 and CD32 problems I don't hold out much hope.
Old 21 November 2022, 07:42   #11
nikosidis

There are adapters from PS/2 to Amiga mouse.
Using a wheel with PS/2 interface would work.
Problem might be to get pedals working correct, gears etc.
Old 21 November 2022, 07:56   #12
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I have a boxed analogue steering wheel made by Logic3. No adaptors, no hacks or tricks, just the wheel. And it is just the wheel, literally.

[ Show youtube player ]

I tried to combine with the Quickshot footpedal, but they did not worked together, probably due to their analouge / digital operationg method.

Last edited by Reynolds; 21 November 2022 at 08:02.
Old 21 November 2022, 09:15   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Not analogue, but look which Amiga steering wheel is for sale in local market. Language is unreadable for you, but pictures speak for all

https://aukro.cz/pocitac-amiga-commo...cni-7022593334
Old 21 November 2022, 09:31   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Voja View Post
Never seen analogue stick for DB9 at HW level, and surely no support in Amiga games. That is way beyond tech, like asking for rumbling controller for CD32
Pay attention to what I have written above. There are a number of games that support an analogue stick, and while there have only been a couple of DE9 (not DB9) analogue controllers, the once common ones for the PC with a DA15 connector work fine with a simple and cheap adaptor, which is what I used and still use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Not analogue, but look which Amiga steering wheel is for sale in local market. Language is unreadable for you, but pictures speak for all
Oh, that is glorious!
Old 21 November 2022, 09:47   #15
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post

https://aukro.cz/pocitac-amiga-commo...cni-7022593334
A must have item for all HC gamer
Old 21 November 2022, 09:51   #16
Aardvark

Quote:
Never seen analogue stick for DB9 at HW level, and surely no support in Amiga games. That is way beyond tech, like asking for rumbling controller for CD32
Amiga Reference Manual disagrees with this statement http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node010D.html
There are some 30+ Amiga games with analogue joystick support http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?...quickmatch=176

Last edited by Aardvark; 21 November 2022 at 10:50.
Old 21 November 2022, 12:37   #17
S0ulA55a551n

I cant really get on with any game with a steering wheel unless it has force feedback
Old 22 November 2022, 23:13   #18
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Not quite, the Colecovision had an analogue steering wheel, and to a lesser extent the Atari VCS had Driving Controller for Indy 500 even before that, whilst Jay Miner and co. were still deciding whether to go with the 68000 or Z8000 CPU lol so it's nothing like 'rumble controller for CD32' situation

There is the slight problem 1991/92 Lotus II was the first arcade quality racing game for Amiga, I wouldn't spend £40-50 on a steering wheel to play Amiga OutRun etc

Last edited by ImmortalA1000; 22 November 2022 at 23:16. Reason: typo
Old 22 November 2022, 23:14   #19
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I cant really get on with any game with a steering wheel unless it has force feedback
lol you probably don't have nostalgic memories of spinning the wheel like a loon on Pole Position or Sprint in the arcaded then
Old 22 November 2022, 23:19   #20
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Amiga Reference Manual disagrees with this statement http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node010D.html
There are some 30+ Amiga games with analogue joystick support http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?...quickmatch=176
1999 Virtual GP is the only racing game I saw.

It is possible to make a steering wheel that works exactly like a mouse though so Indy 500 and Red Zone (?) polygon based motorbike games would be playable I guess if you did it that way.