English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 January 2022, 17:07   #1
Fiery Phoenix

North West Computer Museum

Wondering if anyone has heard of this?

Based in an old mill in Leigh (near Wigan) they have a website, Facebook and Twitter accounts. Crowdfunder account for it stands at £240 of a £5k target - but not sure how well known this is - I only heard about it the other day.

Appears was due to open in Aug 2021 but was delayed and the website states due to open asap.

It sounds interesting to be fair, history of home computers, ever changing exhibits, guest speakers and get this - clubs for Retro Computing, inc. Amiga

I know there are few NW members on EAB and Lemon so thought good to post to see if anyone aware of this

https://www.nwcomputermuseum.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/northwestcomputermuseum/

https://twitter.com/joekay66
Old 31 January 2022, 20:28   #2
sneeker

I was/am/might be (not heard anything for ages) going to volunteer as its only 20 mins from me now. Its been an in progress for quite a while, was going to be in wigan until the council decided they needed to pay full rent, business rates etc and they couldnt afford it.
Old 31 January 2022, 21:13   #3
Fiery Phoenix

Wigan council eh! There was supposed to be a festival at Robin park and suddenly changed to Ewood Park in Blackburn due to the council there.

Harsh when trying to get a new venture off the ground. Wish them well and will defo have a peek when fully open as only about 20 mins or so from me in Bury.

Be good if they do have some sort of retro club, bit of in-person 2 player action on some games.

The mill seems to have archery and table tennis clubs, so appears to be good old size
Old 01 February 2022, 13:14   #4
Fiery Phoenix

I dropped them an email and got the following reply:

Thank you for your email and many apologies for the delay in replying.

We are still closed, the Mill was closed in June 2020 due to insufficient fire escape facilities.

But we are close to being back open now. There is a new fire escape but everything now had to go through fire department and building regulators. Floor two is now open, floor 3 is about to be re-opened and our floor 4 is currently being built for fire regulations. Which hopefully will not be long.

We are not a museum to look at the computers, most of the machine will be usable from the 70s to the latest technologies including VR. We want to show people how technology has changed over the last 50 years. There is also a workshop (Education Suite) where you can learn Electronics, programming (many different languages) and crating VR apps and worlds.

When we do finally open there will be plans for retro fairs, Christmas fairs and so on. Also gaming competitions with other computer museums down south, Netherlands and Germany. I have built a good working relationship with these museums.

We will be posting on various forums when we finally open and look at other options and projects we be looking at.

Hope to see you soon.

Kind and warm regards
Old 01 February 2022, 23:59   #5
lesta_smsc

If you look at the stuff that's happening, they were invited to Gadget Show and also large donation from Northampton University... for a site/company I've hardly heard of, they seem to be getting noticed!
Old 02 February 2022, 00:16   #6
Fiery Phoenix

I'm ready to get my geek on!

Would be good if did have some meets / compo's there and get a few NW EAB peeps there!
Old 02 February 2022, 12:11   #7
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Sounds a lot like the Retro Man Cave
Old 30 January 2023, 20:14   #8
Fiery Phoenix

They finally opened this weekend and actually had a spot on the local Look NW BBC News

[ Show youtube player ]