English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 January 2023, 20:51   #41
RichL

£3 or £5 - not really putting it out of peoples reach here.
Old 26 January 2023, 21:13   #42
BigD

@brotherbarr

It should be free P&P you greedy person! This was a free game given as a tribute to Amiga owners who never lost the faith but you my friend are just in it for the money!

@Amigans

Hopefully, the Angry Video Game Nerd will buy it and burn it on his channel to prove a point! Capitalism gone wrong!

Sanity mode reactivated.....I would have thought a donation to the Retro Man Cave or the Leicester/Swindon Computing Museum would have been the move of an Amigan! Shame!
Old 27 January 2023, 03:45   #43
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Wings of Fury is up for £100.
I have that! Disks only though ... wonder how much that would fetch! lol

I'm sure I have the Putty disks somewhere too.

I was never one to keep boxes, so all my games are now unboxed (shamefully) - although the last remaining boxed games have were gifted to a friend nearly 8 or so years ago (back when you could buy an Amiga 500 for £15 or so!)

I guess we outright boycott these sellers and hope they come to their senses and stop others from falling prey.

I've given up looking for an Amiga of any sort - in fact, there was a time I contemplated selling my Amiga's but now they might pay for children's education at this rate! Sadly, upgrading them has become very expensive and so it kills off the hobby - alternatives such as FGPA/RPi are making having more accelerated Amiga experience cheaper and if configured correctly, you can get native resolution to mimic the hardware pretty much perfectly.

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 27 January 2023 at 03:55.
Old 27 January 2023, 07:45   #44
RichL

Just change the algorithm on eBay to sold items and see what they sold for if at all.

My Amiga 1200 is pristine, not yellow (in fact it is kept out of sunlight) has 8mb RAM expansion, 4 gig CF card with everything you could wish for on it.

I could put that up for £500+ but it will just sit there like all the others for months on end not selling.
Old 27 January 2023, 11:15   #45
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
My Amiga 1200 is pristine, not yellow (in fact it is kept out of sunlight) has 8mb RAM expansion, 4 gig CF card with everything you could wish for on it. I could put that up for £500+ but it will just sit there like all the others for months on end not selling.
Here are four with pretty much same spec. bit of yellowing. All sold for ~£500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175540243637
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175572326230
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185705028152
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165751049007
Old 27 January 2023, 13:00   #46
pubzombie

jeez i'd better get my other half up the loft this weekend
Old 27 January 2023, 13:13   #47
ImmortalA1000

People who collect this stuff are of a certain age, at some point these things will not be bought because the Playstation Generation don't care for it.

All sorts of people buy old computer stuff, I sold some stuff to "Fatboy Slim" on ebay about 15 years ago. Johnathan Ross also went mad and just started paying well over the odds for retro gear and the Shadow Health Minister in the UK also is a Commodore nut too, he has a full VIC-20 set up behind him in a BBC news broadcast from his home (and a CDTV multimedia setup in the same room but out of shot I have been told by Twitter users).

[ Show youtube player ]

It has become OK to collect this stuff from our past in all walks of life and all levels of salary. There is only so much demand for this stuff and a lot of people buy stuff thinking "I can sell it for a profit a few years later".

One day the bubble will burst, just like it did with the insane pricing of Tulip bulbs hundreds of years ago that seemed to just go up and up, and you will be stuck with what you have at a reduced valuation, which is why I stopped buying this stuff half a decade ago.

I am happy with what I have, the only Amiga I don't have is an A3000 and they are all boxed/complete (no yellowing and no dust/damage). I have been buying stuff since the 90s though and stopped many years ago
Old 27 January 2023, 13:26   #48
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
One day the bubble will burst, just like it did with the insane pricing of Tulip bulbs hundreds of years ago that seemed to just go up and up, and you will be stuck with what you have at a reduced valuation, which is why I stopped buying this stuff half a decade ago.

Buy stuff to use it not to sell on for a profit! It's best to use AmiBay or to sell within a local Amiga Group as then it will get loved and used rather than hoarded or stripped for mega profits!
Old 27 January 2023, 14:23   #49
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
One day the bubble will burst
Not until the majority of those who owned/used one have died. And even then extreme collectables with low numbers (e.g. A3000T/A4000T) will remain high value.

The classic car industry is a good thing to compare to. The price for 40's and 50's cars have gone through the floor. Because almost everyone who drove one is dead and so are most of the people who were driven in them. Whereas the price for 70s and 80's cars is going off the chart. There are a few standout exceptions, low numbers, been in films etc.
Old 27 January 2023, 15:26   #50
RichL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Thanks for this. Shame there isn't a thanks button.
Old 28 January 2023, 17:55   #51
Superman

There is someone on ebay actually selling pirated games. Here is what he charges:
Quote:
Prices:
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING PRICE INFORMATION CAREFULLY

Single disk games are £9 each (free postage)

Double disk games are £14.40 each (save 20% - £7.20 per disk) (free postage)

Triple disk games are £18.90 each (save 30% - £6.30 per disk) (free postage)

Quadruple disk games are £21.60 each (save 40% - £5.40 per disk) (free postage)

Just change the 'Qty' on the listing for the number of disks in the game.

For games with more than 4 disks just buy Qty 4 and add £2.50 per additional disk by choosing the appropriate postage charge.
Got to love a tryer but damn!
Old 28 January 2023, 18:06   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So it's an ADF to floppy service then, eh?
Old 28 January 2023, 18:16   #53
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
So it's an ADF to floppy service then, eh?
Well he is cutting out the ADF part and just sending his 30 year old copies.
Old 28 January 2023, 18:17   #54
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh boy... okay, that is worse than I thought
Old 28 January 2023, 19:13   #55
Megalomaniac

I've recently started trying to rebuild my Amiga collection - longer term I'd lvoe to own everything, but I'd need an extra bedroom to have everything - and I'm not well-paid, so this is frustrating, but it is understandable to a point. Collecting Amiga stuff is much more niche than Nintendo or Sega or even Spectrum, the games didn't sell as many as for those systems, people not having kept those huge boxes is understandable. The capacitor issues with the main units, and the inherent unreliability of disks compared to CDs, cartridges and even tapes, mean that being able to sell something as tested in good working order is a bigger deal than on most systems. One game I want is listed at over £100 right now - it's listed as tested and working, but I'll have to leave it for now. Still, it could be worst - the cheapest of 3 listed Moonstones currently is £500...
Old 29 January 2023, 08:21   #56
RichL

And to think years ago I threw boxed complete moonstone away…
Old 08 February 2023, 23:11   #57
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Buy stuff to use it not to sell on for a profit! It's best to use AmiBay or to sell within a local Amiga Group as then it will get loved and used rather than hoarded or stripped for mega profits!
Not true, an infamous reseller with stupidly high prices who lives close to me gets a lot of gear from Amibay to sell on ebay parted out.
Old 09 February 2023, 07:31   #58
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
retro_pixells bought my magazine collection when I got married and even though it said collection only wanted it posting, then complained a particular magazine from a picture wasn't there, I never said what was there, and I said some had been sold, and then they gave me negative feedback.
I'd be pretty annoyed if I was that buyer; the photo is meant to show the item(s) so what you sent should have matched the photo.
Old 18 February 2023, 01:22   #59
zodiac

No one is worse than that International retro guide character from Germany. His prices are absolutely hysterical.
Old 16 June 2023, 02:41   #60
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
There is someone on ebay actually selling pirated games. Here is what he charges:

Got to love a tryer but damn!
Need to report that lol and somehow spread the word:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68968