English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 12 October 2022, 14:27   #61
prometeo

Your first half point was a low punch, but the game says front kick!
Anyway, it's really awesome. Was a big fan of the arcade and this seems to turn into something bringing me back to the amiga... :-P
Thanks,
Giacomo.
Old 19 October 2022, 00:20   #62
STE'86

Any chance you can/will make the sprite sheets available?
I have always wanted to compare the frames with exploding fist.

cheers
Steve
Old 10 April 2023, 10:26   #63
zzbylu
Saberman

Gameplay - WIP/test: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 April 2023, 11:09   #64
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE'86 View Post
Any chance you can/will make the sprite sheets available?
I have always wanted to compare the frames with exploding fist.

cheers
Steve
Sorry, missed the post

Source & assets is available from the start at https://github.com/jotd666/karatecha...ee/main/assets

You have a .png file then in "moves" you have all frames for player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzbylu View Post
Gameplay - WIP/test: [ Show youtube player ]
You see why no beta version has been released. Bugs, bugs and bugs.
Old 11 April 2023, 00:34   #65
franeti

Wow @jotd! You are on fire! More ports to Amiga, great!

Not you maybe or yes.. do you think Tetris (Arcade Version) could be possible to port?
Old 11 April 2023, 07:28   #66
jotd
This cat is no more

no, it's an old project that I was trying to resurrect. But it's a long way to a beta release (as the video shows, even if it sounds and looks great)

It's been advertised on indie retro news, but it's really a work version for Toni. Try to play it you're going to be VERY surprised because ATM it's broken beyond repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franeti View Post

Not you maybe or yes.. do you think Tetris (Arcade Version) could be possible to port?
it's actually a good idea. Existing versions aren't very faithful. I checked tile rips online and they are scarce. If I re-made it I would need to create the dancing character for instance. No way I'm doing a half-assed version.

Last edited by jotd; 11 April 2023 at 22:00.
Old 11 April 2023, 17:11   #67
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by franeti View Post

I always liked the variation to tetris FlashPoint, tried to learn blitz to make one but am stuck
Old 12 April 2023, 18:02   #68
franeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
no, it's an old project that I was trying to resurrect. But it's a long way to a beta release (as the video shows, even if it sounds and looks great)

It's been advertised on indie retro news, but it's really a work version for Toni. Try to play it you're going to be VERY surprised because ATM it's broken beyond repair.

it's actually a good idea. Existing versions aren't very faithful. I checked tile rips online and they are scarce. If I re-made it I would need to create the dancing character for instance. No way I'm doing a half-assed version.
If you did it, I would be the most happy man in the world
Amiga deserve a good tetris port.

Regards!
Old 17 May 2023, 15:37   #69
franeti

Quote:

It could be possible with scorpion engine a Tetris port Considering its simplicity?
Old 17 May 2023, 16:22   #70
acidbottle

It would take some crazy logic to do in Scorpion, but then again, I have seen a sokoban demo in the works so I guess anything is possible!

Is well worth watching the Tetris movie to see how crazy the licensing for that game was, if you didn't already know.
Old 17 May 2023, 23:09   #71
franeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
It would take some crazy logic to do in Scorpion, but then again, I have seen a sokoban demo in the works so I guess anything is possible!

Is well worth watching the Tetris movie to see how crazy the licensing for that game was, if you didn't already know.
The film is very good! I also recommend you to watch the documentary on YouTube from russia with love.

For me, the best version of the game is the Arcade version, which was never ported to any home system and if someone dares, if it were made for the Amiga, it would be the first computer version!

Who wants to make history?
Old 29 July 2023, 12:16   #72
jotd
This cat is no more

Resurrecting this old project just because no9 created the full music and it's excellent.

Also because my transcoding tools & my transcoding experience with all the successful ports are seriously improving.

The project has restarted with the same approach as Pengo, Galaxian, or Xevious, with the help of Mark for the sprite/tile rips.

It's been difficult to even boot the damn thing because of their custom multitasking system (yes!) that can animate things and suspend the context to switch to another one.

Now the game shows the highscores and sprites are even beginning to work. Buggy screenshot where sprite coordinates are off, no sprite erase (not implemented), but tiles are working and the sprites are moving even the code hasn't been fully reversed and I don't even know where it's done in the thousands of lines I have converted

My new approach is convert first, then understand, then debug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061.png
Views:	90
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	79788
Old 29 July 2023, 12:21   #73
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
My new approach is convert first, then understand, then debug.
Love that picture
Old 29 July 2023, 14:51   #74
zzbylu
Saberman

Great! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 29 July 2023, 16:36   #75
basementApe

Never checked out Karate Champ before and wow! Those animations are pretty damn impressive for the time!

Cool project, look forward to seeing more

I think if I were to take this on myself I'd just study the gameplay real hard and re-implement it from scratch tbh. I imagine the gameplay isn't so complex that you couldn't learn the ins and outs of it by well, empirical analysis.

But then, my programming skills are nowhere near solid enough to make sense of other games' codebases from the 80's I think.
Old 29 July 2023, 17:50   #76
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementApe View Post
Never checked out Karate Champ before and wow! Those animations are pretty damn impressive for the time!

The game clearly inspired all other Karate games, inc IK+

Quote:

Cool project, look forward to seeing more

I think if I were to take this on myself I'd just study the gameplay real hard and re-implement it from scratch tbh. I imagine the gameplay isn't so complex that you couldn't learn the ins and outs of it by well, empirical analysis.
If you check the previous posts you'll see that I have attempted that already, and it miserably failed, even if I had the A.I. reversed from the original Z80 code. This strategy succeeded with Pacman and Amidar (and Scramble too, even if I had the source) but there it was just too complex. Besides, the animations use 16x16 tiles to optimize memory and are combined together, I had used big 48x48 blocks, and the hitboxes needed to be exact else it's a totally different game (plus computer A.I. would not work properly in terms of distance)

Quote:

But then, my programming skills are nowhere near solid enough to make sense of other games' codebases from the 80's I think.

when you say codebase, you mean "raw block of disassembly containing code+data+tables". The first step for this game was some solid reverse engineering of most parts (except sound). It's not complete yet but I'll do it as I'm progressing.

For instance my other future project (Galaga) will be easier because the game has already been fully reversed from binary to Z80 source. It's supposed to assemble 100% into the original binaries!!
Old 29 July 2023, 18:20   #77
basementApe

Quote:
when you say codebase, you mean "raw block of disassembly containing code+data+tables". The first step for this game was some solid reverse engineering of most parts (except sound). It's not complete yet but I'll do it as I'm progressing.

For instance my other future project (Galaga) will be easier because the game has already been fully reversed from binary to Z80 source. It's supposed to assemble 100% into the original binaries!!
Yeah I did just skim parts of the thread. I thought you had the released source to work from. But this is reverse-engineered assembly code we're talking about? That's extremely impressive! I remember taking a peek at my brother's assembly adventures once when we were kids and it terrified me so much I didn't even consider trying to do any coding until a decade later or so.
Old 29 July 2023, 21:25   #78
jotd
This cat is no more

I"d prefer start from a game that has already been reversed, but they're rare, and if you really want to convert a game 1:1 gameplay wise, it's often a mandatory part of the process. Fortunately, most of those games are Z80 so this is the processor to master.

But we're talking about "only" 64k of ROM. For instance reversing Rastan or another game from that era is probably a different challenge.
Old 18 August 2023, 23:38   #79
jotd
This cat is no more

I've published a video of the new version of the game:

[ Show youtube player ]

Also zoned a very early alpha version with a lot of bugs & crashes, also slow, but game is playable up to a point (bull stage is buggy and may crash the machine).

ATM it needs 2MB of memory so no A500/1MB. I'll try to reduce that. Also game will be slow on real machines without fastmem for the moment.

As always before I add better controls: 5 inserts coins, 1 or 2 start games. It also needs CD32 joypads and on real CD32 joypads you'll find that the controls are awkwards because of a different position on WinUAE joypads. But it's a start.

Controls are joystick + buttons (2nd joystick). There's a practice mode that shows most of the moves.

Last edited by jotd; 18 August 2023 at 23:45.
Old 19 August 2023, 00:01   #80
nikosidis

Nice! Remember this game from the arcades. Looking forward to try it out. Great job!