English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 16 May 2020, 17:09   #1
Radertified

The Karate Kid Part II - Anyone have an original disk to test?

I decided to test every version of The Karate Kid Part II for a 100% version since no IPF exists. I believe it's a dual format Amiga/Atari ST disk but it's been a while so I can't say for sure.

The issue I'm having with it is in every fully playable version it says "Just in time - you saved the day" after beating the final boss, even if you just stand there and do nothing. I can't remember if this is what happens on the original disk.

Does anyone have an original disk that they're willing to boot up, play through and see if that happens? Probably not I'd be happy to test if an IPF ever surfaces.

The results for each release:

Quote:
  • Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[cr HQC][t HQC] (CRC: 0x16CE2BC0)
  • Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[cr HQC][t HQC][b doscopy] (CRC: 0xAD1802D7)
  • Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[cr HQC][t HQC][b2 doscopy] (CRC: 0x2936CCE6)
  • 0456 - Karate Kid 2 (1-1).DMS (CRC: 0x9CCE1CD1)
Other than always saying you saved the day at the end, seems 100%
Quote:
  • WHDLoad slave - Version 1.1

Other than always saying you saved the day at the end and text issues (reported on Mantis), seems 100%
Quote:
  • Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[cr SCA] (CRC: 0xF8F3D9D4)
  • Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[cr SCA][a bootblock] (CRC: 0x6077DA45)
Says "Cracked 1987 by Swiss Cracking Association" on loading screen. Corrupt graphics at the bottom of final level. Once you beat Chozen in the final level, the game freezes and the screen becomes corrupt.
Quote:
  • Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[b startup-sequence, type kk][extended adf] (CRC: 0xE25D0013)
  • KarateKid2_EXT (CRC: 0xBCA66DA2)
Once you get to the final encounter, the game freezes.

Last edited by Radertified; 19 October 2020 at 17:55.
Old 16 May 2020, 21:04   #2
Radertified

Scratch what I said about the it being dual Amiga/Atari ST boot. I just tried the Atari ST version and although it's essentially the same game, it's pretty different.

Audio sounds a little different, but that's probably down to the hardware.

Gameplay is slightly faster. Like what Street Fighter II: Hyper Fight is to Street Fighter II. It makes it a little more playable.

Backgrounds seem to randomly change in the Atari ST version, even showing a few that aren't in the Amiga one.

The Amiga breaking the ice bonus stage isn't in the Atari ST version.

The Amiga version has a lot more levels. Atari ST has something like 5 so it's completable in a few minutes (literally!).

But most importantly, when I just stood there after beating the final boss, he hit me and it said "You lost everything but your score". When I played it properly and beat him, it said "Just in time - you saved the day".

I had an Ozisoft distributed version back in the day and this lines more with my memory of that. This leads me to believe that the Amiga versions floating around are not 100%. It's a minor detail but it's still something.
Old 17 May 2020, 17:18   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have a few copies of KK Part II, it's not Dual Format but does have 10 sector Atari tracks! If you want to play in WinUAE I can create an extended ADF or you can use the one on the ftp:

Quote:
/Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC/TOSEC Updates/TOSEC [2016-01-03]/Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2015-12-28_CM)/K/Karate Kid Part II, The (1987)(Microdeal)[b startup-sequence, type kk][extended adf].zip
The startup-sequence isn't actually bad as it hasn't got one, there is just one file on the disk called kk. The original game does the same thing, you have to type kk and press return to load.

There is a cheat built in, press P to skip levels! On the last Boss if you press P it does say "Just in time - you saved the day", never played it to the end but you obviously have so you can have another crack at it
Old 17 May 2020, 17:26   #4
Radertified

I've already tried that version. See my first post:

"Once you get to the final encounter, the game freezes."

:P

I don't know what protection the game uses (if any) but if you're happy to make an extended ADF image, great! I'd be glad to test it

Still a shame no IPF exists!
Old 17 May 2020, 17:30   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

So you have, missed that one sorry! I've uploaded my extended ADF version from my original to the Zone!
Old 17 May 2020, 17:47   #6
Radertified

Thanks BarryB!

I've just tested it and it does the same thing. You can stand there after winning the fight, get punched and get the message "Just in time - you saved the day"

This leads me to believe that my memory is hazy and it in fact had buggy ending code. Either that or the version I had (Ozisoft) was a later version that fixed it, but that's unlikely.
Old 17 May 2020, 21:05   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

Does sound like the game is bugged at the end then, doubt anyone will be interested with this game enough to investigate and see if it really is bugged though!
Old 18 August 2020, 19:20   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@BarryB : do you have the possibility to create an IPF from your original ?
Old 18 August 2020, 19:29   #9
Radertified

I'm all for an IPF

If there's anyone that has the Ozisoft release that I had back in the day, I'd love to see an IPF of that one too. I'd like to test it to see if it was in fact a later, potentially bugfixed, version.
Old 19 August 2020, 00:30   #10
ransom1122

Wish I kept my copy of KK2 unfortunately I didn't .. its a shame there is no 100% version of KK2,.I do recall the original disk played perfect unlike the cracked adf with gfx glitch, sped up loading screens, and many more glitches throughout the game.
Old 19 August 2020, 01:54   #11
Radertified

This is why I've got a feeling there's another version out there. The Ozisoft one. I don't recall any problems with that one back in the day, and as I said earlier in the thread, I keep thinking the whole "Just in time - you saved the day" even when you lose didn't happen.
Old 19 August 2020, 02:31   #12
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
This is why I've got a feeling there's another version out there. The Ozisoft one. I don't recall any problems with that one back in the day, and as I said earlier in the thread, I keep thinking the whole "Just in time - you saved the day" even when you lose didn't happen.
I think you're correct, I would of had the Ozisoft original as I purchased it together with the Amiga I purchased back in either late '87 or early '88.

Question remains if a copy still exists out there

By the way SCA crack freezes at the final BOSS

HQS seems to be the go to if using it on a real Amiga... i finished the game with this version?

BTW aafter you beat final boss, the drum appears, but how do you ounch the final boss after you beat him?

Last edited by ransom1122; 19 August 2020 at 11:00.
Old 22 August 2020, 12:07   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
If there's anyone that has the Ozisoft release that I had back in the day, I'd love to see an IPF of that one too. I'd like to test it to see if it was in fact a later, potentially bugfixed, version.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I think you're correct, I would of had the Ozisoft original as I purchased it together with the Amiga I purchased back in either late '87 or early '88.

Have you guys asked DrBong?

If anyone is going to have this in their collection it will be Carlo
Old 22 August 2020, 21:35   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I have an extended ADF of my original made many years ago.

Interested ?
Old 23 August 2020, 01:08   #15
Radertified

I'm interested. I'll play through any version to see if this bug exists
Old 23 August 2020, 02:41   #16
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I have an extended ADF of my original made many years ago.

Interested ?
I'll have a look too, Im pretty sure the Extended ADF from DD was 100% as well. But still no proper ADF.

Last edited by ransom1122; 23 August 2020 at 03:45.
Old 23 August 2020, 11:14   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Im pretty sure the Extended ADF from DD was 100% as well.
That was from BarryB, not me...
Old 23 August 2020, 11:17   #18
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
@BarryB : do you have the possibility to create an IPF from your original ?
I could but it would be 'un-official' and I don't want to spread 'un-official' IPF's even if other people have!

Extended ADF's are the best you'll get for now!
Old 13 October 2020, 22:15   #19
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Have you guys asked DrBong?

If anyone is going to have this in their collection it will be Carlo
Yep, I'm your man Radertified - thanks for reminding me in PM! I've got the version you're seeking on the OziSoft Winners compilation. I've never come across a standalone release of the game by OziSoft in all my years of buying Ami games, so I'm not sure there ever was one.

Anyway, your request has been on my ever-growing TODO list since I saw this thread, but I've been on rolling deadlines with my research consultancy work for a big client the last couple of months. Just about to close out the current project, but will be going on to the next one come Friday arvo....so I have a little bit of a breather before I have to get cracking on the next research project after the weekend. I'll see what I can do for you come this weekend.
Old 13 October 2020, 23:03   #20
Radertified

Thanks DrBong! Absolutely no rush

As for the existence of a standalone Ozisoft release, I can 100% confirm there is one. I owned it. Well, I own it. It's at my parent's place, stashed somewhere along with all of my other games. Unfortunately it's all inaccessible at the moment which is why I'm turning to the Internet for assistance
I don't think it was a custom Ozisoft box though. I think it might've just been an Ozisoft sticker put onto a regular box. That's where my memory becomes hazy.