English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 February 2017, 18:06   #21
Amiga1992

Yeah if you definitely want the accelerated Amiga, Fúria is an amazing option.
I Would suggest the 4MB/8MB Fast RAM adapter route IF kipper would be available to sell them to you. It seems to me he is only focused on Vampire now which is a great shame

So yeah that Fúria without FPU is basically what an ACA620 used to cost but better performing, I would totally get it!

The only disadvantage I see to the Fúria is that you need to disable some RAM to access PCMCIA. ACA620 doesn't need that and all RAM is available with PCMCIA compatibility intact (10MB or so of Fast RAM). Since I use PCMCIA all the time, this would be a pain in the ass for me at first.
Old 23 February 2017, 19:22   #22
idrougge

I use an old Sandisk card with my Furia. No problems there.

I agree about the PCMCIA, it saddens me each time I have to restart the A600 and lose 4 MB just to use a LAN card.
Old 23 February 2017, 22:38   #23
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah if you definitely want the accelerated Amiga, Fúria is an amazing option.
I Would suggest the 4MB/8MB Fast RAM adapter route IF kipper would be available to sell them to you. It seems to me he is only focused on Vampire now which is a great shame

So yeah that Fúria without FPU is basically what an ACA620 used to cost but better performing, I would totally get it!

The only disadvantage I see to the Fúria is that you need to disable some RAM to access PCMCIA. ACA620 doesn't need that and all RAM is available with PCMCIA compatibility intact (10MB or so of Fast RAM). Since I use PCMCIA all the time, this would be a pain in the ass for me at first.
On the Furia, if you hold down Amiga+Amiga+Alt to reboot, but hold them down for 3 seconds, it reboots and cuts the RAM to 4MB and the PCMCIA slot works again, TBH its not really a hassle. The Furia performs on a par with an ACA630, and that runs a 68030. i cant recommend it enough.

Old 23 February 2017, 22:40   #24
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Great setup That's pretty much what I'd want! Any problems with whdload games?
It works very well. There are the odd games that can crash but usually they can be fixed by adding NOCACHE or NOAUTOVEC in the games tooltype options.
Old 24 February 2017, 03:21   #25
mattsoft

I just picked up an A600 and am "pimping it out" so to speak. Personally, I prefer stock machines that run mostly as originally designed. If I wanted a FAST Amiga, I'd get a 4000 or just use FS-UAE. Anyway, I have upgraded the ROM to 3.1 from Amikit, bought an Individual Computers A604N for 2MB chip RAM, picked up a 4MB PCMCIA SRAM for fast RAM off of eBay, and swapped out the 40MB HD for a CF card reader also form eBay. That should make a "close to stock" WHDLoad machine. I love old-skewl floppies, so I kept the original floppy drive.
Old 24 February 2017, 07:31   #26
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsoft View Post
I just picked up an A600 and am "pimping it out" so to speak. Personally, I prefer stock machines that run mostly as originally designed. If I wanted a FAST Amiga, I'd get a 4000 or just use FS-UAE. Anyway, I have upgraded the ROM to 3.1 from Amikit, bought an Individual Computers A604N for 2MB chip RAM, picked up a 4MB PCMCIA SRAM for fast RAM off of eBay, and swapped out the 40MB HD for a CF card reader also form eBay. That should make a "close to stock" WHDLoad machine. I love old-skewl floppies, so I kept the original floppy drive.
I like that approach also, but I still want to run most of the whdload slaves, which is not possible with plain 68000. Or that's at least what I've understood. Some people have upgraded the cpu to 68010 for the quit key to work.
Old 21 April 2017, 07:06   #27
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Now she's ready

-JuneBug rev 1.1 (caps replaced)
-Furia (without fpu)
-A604n
-Ide riser
-Ide to SD converter
-MicroSD to MicroSD extension cable (through an SD/MicroSD adapter) to make the sd accessible from the back without opening the computer
-32GB MicroSD with PFS3 (I know, way too much disk space...)
-KS3.1

Works like a charm

The MicroSD to MicroSD extension cable is very handy and super cheap, check here

A few pics. It ain't pretty, but it works perfectly

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a...ew?usp=sharing

Sorry about the picture quality :/
Old 21 April 2017, 15:04   #28
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Now she's ready

-JuneBug rev 1.1 (caps replaced)
-Furia (without fpu)
-A604n
-Ide riser
-Ide to SD converter
-MicroSD to MicroSD extension cable (through an SD/MicroSD adapter) to make the sd accessible from the back without opening the computer
-32GB MicroSD with PFS3 (I know, way too much disk space...)
-KS3.1

Works like a charm

The MicroSD to MicroSD extension cable is very handy and super cheap, check here

A few pics. It ain't pretty, but it works perfectly

Sorry about the picture quality :/
nice

what did you think of the Furia then? i have two of them with FPU, but only because it wasn't much more expensive.
Old 21 April 2017, 16:08   #29
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Furia works great 👍 The computer seems to be very fast indeed and I have not encountered any compatibility problems with whdload etc. I chose he model without fpu, because only a few games use it.
Old 21 April 2017, 16:09   #30
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Also the Furia produces only a little heat compared to aca620
Old 21 April 2017, 16:52   #31
jarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I See no point on a 604n unless you want a Clockport (what for?)
What for? For USB. I refuse to use any Amiga without USB expansion. USB mouse is so much more accurate and responsive and even though PCMCIA + CF card or network card can be used to transfer files, using USB sticks are so much easier.

Of course if ONLY use case is WHDLoad then it really does not matter. That's what I thought also. But when I bought Furia it was so fast that using workbench and testing out software out there became interesting. And then USB became handy.

Ps. I really love my Furia. Even though I now have Vampire, it still is very solid performer and I just built another A600 so that I can use Furia again...
Old 21 April 2017, 17:15   #32
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarp View Post
What for? For USB. I refuse to use any Amiga without USB expansion.
You're a special case. I am sure 99% of people have no need for that.
My point was that it is not an essential thing. Far from it. Especially when adding USB functionality to an Amiga comes at a steep price.

Also all your favorite games are not going to work with your fancy USB controllers and mice...
Old 22 April 2017, 11:15   #33
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

The A604n is primarily a 1MB CHIP RAM upgrade - to add value to the product there is a RTC clock, Indivision ECS expansion port and a Clock Port - great ways to add value to the product for the end user without to much outlay to ensure the product sits in a reasonable price range for its primary function.

I am lucky to have an A600 equipped ACA620 + indivision ECS + A604n LOL My A600 sponsored by Individual Computers LOL - this little monster sits alongside my other A600 with a Vamp2 A600 and A604n - I need to invest in a clock port based USB adaptor - or hack a Zorro one in .... hmmmm Thylacine 600 anyone ?