English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2023, 22:12   #1
Elmo Putney

Trove of magazines and cover discs - what to do?

Back in the summer I bought an ebay "job lot" with the aim of an A600 and A1200, but it came with a whole bunch more hardware and until now not looked at boxes of magazines and cover discs.

So I've had a quick look and sort, I have about

-15 Amiga Magazine from Dec94 to June98.
-4 Amiga Computing March 96 to May 97.
-6 Amiga Active issue 5 to 23
-About 40 Amiga Format ranging from Oct93 to Jan2000 (The october 93 is about the last I can remember from back in the day with the skidmarks cover disk)

-Some other random "zines"

-A folder with instructions/player guides of games such as cannon fodder.

WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS STUFF?

I love it all but can't keep it, probably most of the cover discs are here in boxes too. Does anyone want this stuff that has time to work out what is and isn't worth keeping?

Ebay? Skip/Tip? Donate?

Help me reclaim my garage.

Linky:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a69oQd5PyDUE4BQD8
Old 06 January 2023, 01:41   #2
idrougge

Our Amiga club could use those for our library. I will pay postage. Any doubles I will offer to other takers.
Old 06 January 2023, 02:30   #3
lesta_smsc

There is a Retro Computer Museum in Leicester, UK so if you want (given you're in the UK as well), they would I'm sure be grateful to put this in their archive / collection.

However, idrougge was 1st to respond and puts a good case for acquisition as well especially when idrougge is willing to cover postage
Old 06 January 2023, 09:55   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'm based in the South East too and I collect this stuff. I'm not a trader (I've never sold anything). Happy to have it in my collection. Depending on where you are I could collect in person.

We have a group on Facebook with other likeminded Magazine collectors hang out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/213392303264555

It is extremely unlikely that any of the "retro museums" need any of this. It would just go in the back of their warehouse as "spares" and collect dust.
Old 06 January 2023, 10:57   #5
chip

Please check the existence of new cover discs to preserve, if any
Old 06 January 2023, 21:10   #6
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I second alexh's request. You don't want them collect dust in some club.
Old 06 January 2023, 22:21   #7
Elmo Putney

I wasn't expecting that response, I was hoping you'd all say "nope, all digitised and scanned, get rid".

That's left me a bit torn, they appear to have value but if limited/nominal I wanted to avoid cataloguing what I've got and just give it away for someone else with the time to do.

Quote:
Please check the existence of new cover discs to preserve, if any
Where do I find out what cover discs have been archived? And what magazines are missing from scans?

Ironically one of my pals worked at future publishing in this era, and probably could have a conversation about getting it all digitally (for Amiga Format anyway).

The response has triggered me to figure out what I do have (which I was trying to avoid)

So far for Amiga format I have:

Code:
     AF Issue            Date            Magazine         Cover Disk     Subscribers Disk
        51              Oct-93             Yes                -                 -
        62              Aug-94             Yes                -                 -
        82              Mar-96             Yes                -                 -
        83              Apr-96             Yes                -                 -
        85              Jun-96             Yes                -                 -
        86              Jul-96             Yes                -                 -
        87              Aug-96             Yes                -                 -
        88              Sep-96             Yes                -                 -
        90              Nov-96             Yes                -                 -
        91              Dec-96             Yes                -                 -
        92            Christmas            Yes                CD                -
        93              Jan-97             Yes                CD                -
        94              Feb-97             Yes                -                 -
        95              Mar-97             Yes                -                 -
        96              Apr-97             Yes                -                 -
        97              May-97             Yes                CD                -
        99              Jul-97             Yes                CD                -
       100              Aug-97              -                 CD                -
       101              Sep-97             Yes                CD                -
       102              Oct-97             Yes                -                 -
       103              Nov-97             Yes                -                 -
       104              Dec-97             Yes                -                 -
       105            Christmas            Yes                CD                -
       106              Jan-98             Yes                CD                -
       107              Feb-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       108              Mar-98             Yes                CD                -
                                            -                 -                 -
       109              Apr-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       110              May-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       111              Jun-98              -                 -                Yes
       112              Jul-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       113              Aug-98              -                 CD               Yes
       114              Sep-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       115              Oct-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       116              Nov-98             Yes                CD                -
       117              Dec-98              -                 CD                -
       118            Christmas             -                 CD                -
       119              Jan-99              -                 CD                -
       120              Feb-99              -                 CD                -
       121              Mar-99             Yes                CD                -
       122              Apr-99              -                 CD                -
       123              May-99             Yes                CD                -
       124              Jun-99             Yes                CD                -
       126              Aug-99              -                 CD                -
       128              Oct-99             Yes                -                 -
       129              Nov-99             Yes                CD                -
       130              Dec-99              -                 CD                -
       131            Christmas             -                 CD                -
       132              Jan-00             Yes                -                 -
       133              Feb-00              -                 CD                -
       134              Mar-00              -                 CD                -
       135              Apr-00              -                 CD                -
       136              May-00              -                 CD                -
Old 06 January 2023, 23:31   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

All of the Amiga Format CDs are on the server already
Old 06 January 2023, 23:52   #9
Elmo Putney

Great to know, thanks.
Old 07 January 2023, 01:37   #10
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I second alexh's request. You don't want them collect dust in some club.
Collect dust? It makes them available for more than one person, at least.
Old 07 January 2023, 06:51   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
All of the Amiga Format CDs are on the server already
All the magazines too Crashdisk is checking for missing coverdisks atm.
Old 07 January 2023, 08:55   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Collect dust? It makes them available for more than one person, at least.
You've obviously never seen the behind the scenes videos. Endless shelves of "spares" not on display to the public. I'm a big fan of their work. I've paid to visit multiple times. But they are a black hole. Things go in and never come out. The community needs to recycle items no longer produced among itself. Preservation is all well and good but there is a fine line between that and hoarding.

I have acquired magazine collections in the past and if they include duplicates of anything I already have I pass them on for free to others or trade them for things I don't have.

Last edited by alexh; 07 January 2023 at 09:04.
Old 07 January 2023, 10:17   #13
chip

You can compare the various coverdisks against the TOSEC database

https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch...0&httplinks=on

for submitting what's new, if any
Old 07 January 2023, 10:38   #14
mark_k

I guess PDFs of all the common/popular mags are already available, but maybe not for some of the fanzines???
Old 07 January 2023, 11:00   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post

Those are only the IPF images. Most coverdisks are in ADF format as they didn't have copy protection. You'd have to check TOSEC and '/Collection/Coverdisk' to check if a disk hasn't been preserved yet.

Last edited by TCD; 07 January 2023 at 11:14.
Old 07 January 2023, 11:12   #16
chip

Ok, so a "double check" is needed
Old 08 January 2023, 01:50   #17
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You've obviously never seen the behind the scenes videos. Endless shelves of "spares" not on display to the public. I'm a big fan of their work. I've paid to visit multiple times. But they are a black hole. Things go in and never come out. The community needs to recycle items no longer produced among itself. Preservation is all well and good but there is a fine line between that and hoarding.
Sorry, only now did I notice that you were referring to computer museums as opposed to computer clubs.
Old 08 January 2023, 10:28   #18
Elmo Putney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post

I cant reach that page/ftp server.

I have gone through what;s what in a bit more detail.

Amiga Format, vs. above added 85b and 90b floppies.
Code:
Amiga Format Issue       Date            Magazine         Cover Disk     Subscribers Disk
        51              Oct-93             Yes                -                 -
        62              Aug-94             Yes                -                 -
        82              Mar-96             Yes                -                 -
        83              Apr-96             Yes                -                 -
        85              Jun-96             Yes            85B Floppy            -
        86              Jul-96             Yes                -                 -
        87              Aug-96             Yes                -                 -
        88              Sep-96             Yes                -                 -
        90              Nov-96             Yes            90B Floppy            -
        91              Dec-96             Yes                -                 -
        92            Christmas            Yes                CD                -
        93              Jan-97             Yes                CD                -
        94              Feb-97             Yes                -                 -
        95              Mar-97             Yes                -                 -
        96              Apr-97             Yes                -                 -
        97              May-97             Yes                CD                -
        99              Jul-97             Yes                CD                -
       100              Aug-97              -                 CD                -
       101              Sep-97             Yes                CD                -
       102              Oct-97             Yes                -                 -
       103              Nov-97             Yes                -                 -
       104              Dec-97             Yes                -                 -
       105            Christmas            Yes                CD                -
       106              Jan-98             Yes                CD                -
       107              Feb-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       108              Mar-98             Yes                CD                -
                                            -                 -                 -
       109              Apr-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       110              May-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       111              Jun-98              -                 -                Yes
       112              Jul-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       113              Aug-98              -                 CD               Yes
       114              Sep-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       115              Oct-98             Yes                CD               Yes
       116              Nov-98             Yes                CD                -
       117              Dec-98              -                 CD                -
       118            Christmas             -                 CD                -
       119              Jan-99              -                 CD                -
       120              Feb-99              -                 CD                -
       121              Mar-99             Yes                CD                -
       122              Apr-99              -                 CD                -
       123              May-99             Yes                CD                -
       124              Jun-99             Yes                CD                -
       126              Aug-99              -                 CD                -
       128              Oct-99             Yes                -                 -
       129              Nov-99             Yes                CD                -
       130              Dec-99              -                 CD                -
       131            Christmas             -                 CD                -
       132              Jan-00             Yes                -                 -
       133              Feb-00              -                 CD                -
       134              Mar-00              -                 CD                -
       135              Apr-00              -                 CD                -
       136              May-00              -                 CD                -
Old 08 January 2023, 10:30   #19
Elmo Putney

Amiga Active:
Code:
         Amiga Active           Date       Magazine         Cover Disk
              5                Feb-00        Yes                CD
              11               Aug-00        Yes                CD
              14               Sep-00         -                 CD
              15               Oct-00        Yes                CD
              18               Mar-01        Yes                 -
              21               Jun-01        Yes                CD
              23               Aug-01        Yes                CD
CU Amiga:
Code:
      CU Amiga Magazine         Date       Magazine         Cover Disk
                               Dec-94        Yes                 -
                               Jan-95        Yes                 -
                               Aug-95        Yes                 -
                               Apr-96        Yes                 -
                               Aug-96        Yes                 -
                               Oct-96        Yes                 -
                               Feb-97        Yes             CD-ROM 7
                               Mar-97        Yes             CD-ROM 8
                               Apr-97        Yes                 -
                               Jun-97        Yes                 -
                               Jul-97        Yes             CD-ROM 12
                               Aug-97        Yes             CD-ROM 14
                               Oct-97        Yes             CD-ROM 15
                               Nov-97        Yes                 -
                               Feb-98        Yes                 -
                               Mar-98        Yes                 -
                               Jun-98        Yes                 -
Others:
Code:
             Others                         Date                Magazine             Cover Disk
         Amiga Computing 97                  Mar-96                 Yes                    -
         Amiga Computing 103                 Sep-96                 Yes                    -
         Amiga Computing 110                 Mar-97                 Yes                    -
         Amiga Computing 112                 May-97                 Yes                    -

Amiga User International               Aug-95                 Yes                    -
      Amiga User International               Dec-96                 Yes                    -

Amiga Shopper 59                   Feb-96                 Yes                    -
          Amiga Shopper 62                   May-96                 Yes                    -
          Amiga Shopper 66                   Sep-96                 Yes                    -

Amiga Power 64                    Aug-96                 Yes                    -

zinelike:  Amiga Energy 1              May-98                 Yes                    -
      zinelike:  Amiga Energy 2              Aug-98                 Yes                    -

zinelike:  Amiga Review 4         Mar/Apr (1997??)            Yes                    -

zinelike:  the domain (shareware focu        May-97                 Yes                    -
Old 08 January 2023, 11:19   #20
chip

You can use an ftp client like FileZilla to reach the server

There you simply check the 2 folders TOSEC\coverdisks and Collection\coverdisks to see if there's something missing

Hope this help