English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 August 2022, 23:12   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: Challenger (Amiga), a god awful shmup.

Another disgraceful pile of crud game that found It's way on our beloved A500's back in the day, anyone played this sh*te?!

Well It's now been added to the "Shit Game Time" library and rightfully so thanks to youtuber "William Harrison" requesting me do dish out the punishment for such a shameful moment in Amiga game programming, Hybris eat your heart out!,...NOT!

SGT Challenger Game Review: [ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenger amiga william harrison.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	76428  
Old 27 August 2022, 23:42   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

That one is horrible... the explosion seems to be exactly the same as Sarcophaser (which also sucks) (some common devs on both games).

Kingsoft rings a bell for better titles like "Gravity Force (1989)" which has similar graphics but is a true jewel.
Old 28 August 2022, 12:14   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have it boxed
Old 28 August 2022, 13:35   #4
rothers

This has got to be written in AMOS or similar right?
Old 28 August 2022, 18:33   #5
Torti-the-Smurf

If that would be a PD game......ok...; but 30 Australian Dollars for that ????

http://amr.abime.net/review_15130

For F.Sake; HYBRIS and KATAKIS came out the same Year !! (depending on the Region)
Ok; they did cost double the Price of "Challenger" , but still.

Games like "Challenger "gave an abolute wrong impression of the AMIGA.

I mean; you can really tell, if something is a true Amiga Game or not.

Just thinking about Lionheart,Turrican2,Kid Chaos, Ruff´n Tumbe, StarDust, Disposable Hero, Apidya, Agony, ect.,ect,....

; and then stuff like this ..... (Prepare yourself if you dare to click this Link)

[ Show youtube player ]

Good God.... i mean...This is no AMIGA Game !! ; Its just a (bad) ATARI ST game !!

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 28 August 2022 at 22:51. Reason: and Challenger was just; well not great :) ; no port needed :)
Old 28 August 2022, 19:54   #6
Matt_H

Wow, that's pretty bad. Quite bad. Very bad. It looks like there's supposed to be a tiny bit more substance to it in 2-player mode, with each player controlling a different background layer so you can try to mess up your opponent (http://hol.abime.net/2967/manual), but it's still nowhere near the quality expected of a commercial release. With (much!) better graphics, some music, more levels/maps, fairness tweaks, powerups, and an AI to play against, I could see it being a $10 budget or shareware title, but nothing more.

On the other hand, the core gameplay mechanic isn't all that different from the modern craze of all those awful endless runner games on mobile...
Old 28 August 2022, 20:07   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Whilst the game is crap, some are completely forgetting the release period, likely written in late 86 for a 87 release.

Its a very early game when there really wasn't as many tools for game development.
Old 28 August 2022, 21:59   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The idea is novel, flying high up in the sky and having the ground act like a parallax. But then they mucked it up by making the ground deadly as well killing the effect :/

This is no shmup though. This is a... dodge em up?
Old 28 August 2022, 22:44   #9
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Whilst the game is crap, some are completely forgetting the release period, likely written in late 86 for a 87 release.

Its a very early game when there really wasn't as many tools for game development.

Yeah, thats True

The Price was pretty steep tho 30 DM (Deutsche Mark)
Half the price of Katakis and Hybris which came just a few months later.

There where already a few quality titles out in 1987,but yeah; it was pretty early for the AMIGA.

The difficulty level in this game seems to be the real "Challenger"
Old 29 August 2022, 19:38   #10
ZEUSDAZ

[QUOTE and then stuff like this ..... (Prepare yourself if you dare to click this Link)

[ Show youtube player ]

Good God.... i mean...This is no AMIGA Game !! ; Its just a (bad) ATARI ST game !! [/QUOTE]

I remember it toooooo well
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 August 2022, 23:36   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah for Temple of Doom you need the arcade version, the sounds that the enemies and especially Mola Ram make are hilarious and doubly so because they're so bitcrushed. I wonder if that was intentional or not to make the game complete slapstick.

Still... even the Amiga version is a game where enemies just tend to drop off of edges like they're stooges. It tickles my funny bone to see it happening. Also, the human enemies seem to make a partial Wilhelm scream when you whip em real good.