English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 February 2010, 23:59   #61
seuden
uber cool demi god

You're all wrong, Flimbo's Quest is the best platform game ever!!
Old 10 February 2010, 01:12   #62
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
Excuse me? Turrican has a huge emphasis on exploring the levels, which involves "jumping and moving around". Yes, you do shoot enemies, but that's an accessory feature to the underlying platform game... What does cuteness have to do with anything?
But that's the point. A true platformer will never give you the amount of exploring freedom Turrican does. A platformer is mostly (if not all) about accuracy in moving/jumping. Turrican has a great deal of that, sure, but you have to be more accurate in shooting, rather than worrying about landing on the right platform.
I was half-joking about the cuteness of course, but still, if you look at most of the classic platformers, they are cute. The rules in this case come out of 'life-experience' (can't phrase this properly in English now, sorry ), and I am pretty sure the Turrican creators were more influenced from R-Type than Bubble Bobble.
The closest Turrican gets imo to platformers is its time limit, and we know how insignificant was that in the game. It's almost as if the... "Platform Game Association" forced the time-limit on Turrican!
Old 10 February 2010, 07:48   #63
laffer
Zone Friend

I think Turrican 2 can be called a platformer. That's what I've always called it, anyway.

Zool is also a lot about shooting enemies and less about perfect jumps, but I still consider it a platformer.
Old 10 February 2010, 12:50   #64
deicidal
Registered Insane

I always liked Rick Dangerouse, Superfrog, PP Hammer & Flood
Old 10 February 2010, 12:57   #65
pmc
gone

What about the Addams Family...?

In my opinion that's a really good, fun and addictive platform game...
Old 10 February 2010, 12:59   #66
wanderer
I want an A1000

Car-Vup, a bit unusual platformer, but still a great game. Addams Family also very nice.
Old 10 February 2010, 13:03   #67
seuden
uber cool demi god

That looks so similar to the Disney film "Cars".
Old 10 February 2010, 14:22   #68
AB Positive
kachou ON!

There has been no mention of Harlequin in this thread, and therefore is invalid.
Old 10 February 2010, 14:52   #69
Monsterland

Not really my favourite genre but I think Robocod, Rainbow Islands and New Zealand Story are Amiga's best platformers.

btw, how is Pang a platformer?
Old 10 February 2010, 15:27   #70
paulo_becas

Super Frog, James Pond 2, Global Gladiators, Doofus.
Old 10 February 2010, 16:41   #71
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
But that's the point. A true platformer will never give you the amount of exploring freedom Turrican does.
I guess that Sonic the Hedgehog, Superfrog, and Brian the Lion aren't platformers either? Does your definition of "platformer" include anything besides single-screen Taito arcade games? If Bubble Bobble had levels bigger than the screen, would it cease to be a platformer as well?

Quote:
A platformer is mostly (if not all) about accuracy in moving/jumping. Turrican has a great deal of that, sure, but you have to be more accurate in shooting, rather than worrying about landing on the right platform.
As somebody who has played the Turrican games a great deal, I can safely say that you're completely wrong. Half of the time, you can kill enemies by simply rolling into them or jumping on them, and you often have to do a lot of backtracking if you miss a jump.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the Turrican creators were more influenced from R-Type than Bubble Bobble.
Yeah, I can totally see the R-Type influence. It has the same constant left-to-right scrolling, fixed player orientation, lack of gravity, emphasis on dodging enemy bullets, and Force Pod that we all know and love.

Oh, wait, it doesn't, at least not in 90% of the game.

By the way, Bubble Bobble has quite a bit of shooting in it.

Quote:
The closest Turrican gets imo to platformers is its time limit, and we know how insignificant was that in the game. It's almost as if the... "Platform Game Association" forced the time-limit on Turrican!
Yeah, all that jumping on platforms? Totally irrelevant. And the time limit is hardly insignificant: often, you'll have to choose between exploring more of the level and possibly running out of time, or going straight through and missing most of the bonuses.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 10 February 2010 at 16:49.
Old 10 February 2010, 16:54   #72
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I missed the 'definition of a platformer' bit right? Anyway, guess jumping and some sort of platforms in a game qualifies it as a 'platformer'. If that is the main point of the game is another question...
Old 11 February 2010, 22:53   #73
Mogilny

Didn't have the energy to read all the posts about what is and what isn't a platformer so the ignore the ones you feel isn't one. My favourites: James Pond 2, Another World, Flashback and Turrican 2. It's probably like cursing in the church but I never found Shadow of the Beast 2 to be a great game. Didn't really like Lionheart either. Overall I wasn't too impressed by the platformers on the Amiga but the ones I mentioned was far better than anything I played on any other computer/console.
Old 12 February 2010, 19:18   #74
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Turrican is not a platformer. It's a run-n-gun. It's in the same category as Contra and Metal slug.

Turrican is not a platformer.

Turrican is not a platformer!

Neither is Turrican II.

As someone that helped work with a rarity guide on gaming that required gameplay definitions, I'm no expert but I've been in the field. So let's stop with the putting Turrican in this discussion.

If it WAS a platformer, it'd be the best one. But it's not.

Although my own assertion is also then wrong - Harlequin is at most half-platformer/half-run'n'gun (It has the platformer elements of levels and exploration akin to Super Mario Bros. however has the run'n'gun "different weapons and lots of enemies to kill" elements too - technically disqualified from discussion).

On these merits I instead give my vote to Giana Sisters.
Old 12 February 2010, 19:58   #75
xoen
Banned

james pond(s) and ruff 'n tumble, gods, and of COURSE Lionheart. imho.

Quote:
By the way, Bubble Bobble has quite a bit of shooting in it.
hm..ok, i forgot to say it is best game ever(i can consider it as platformer too, then it is BEST platformer too, yup).

upd: if Rick Dangerous is platform game, really, if it is, all right...add it to my list
Old 14 February 2010, 06:14   #76
Jonathan Drain

I thought run-n-gun games were a subset of platformers.
Old 14 February 2010, 13:02   #77
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I don't really consider Turrican 2 to be a platformer. I'd say it's more of an explorative run and gun game. If you took the platform elements away and had it as a straight left to right pure run and gun, it would still hold up and be pretty fun. However, if you took the shooting elements away and had the game as a pure platformer (lets just say you could kill all the enemies by jumping on them in this case), it would be pretty dull as the challenge isn't about negotiating platforms. The platforming parts of the game don't really increase in difficulty like they do in a dedicated platform game, they are more there to make the exploration more interesting.

SMW, Rainbow Islands, NZS are platformers.

Turrican 2, Gods, Flashback are not.

DKC is shit.
Old 14 February 2010, 14:33   #78
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpyre View Post
Lets not forget "Naughty Ones"...
it was fun...
Now that is indeed a fun game, like Creatures...some things to learn along the way, but not a game that will send you insane trying to figure it out!

PZ.
Old 14 February 2010, 21:14   #79
Dan Locke

I still fail to understand how adding a gun to a platformer causes it to stop being a platformer.
Old 15 February 2010, 07:26   #80
Jonathan Drain

Is Ruff 'n' Tumble a platformer, then, or a run-n-gun?