English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 April 2014, 08:31   #1
paul3100

Whdload & CF card install for NOOB

hey guys

Before i begin i know there are a 1000 posts, videos on this but none seem to be helping me!

Anyway i have an A1200 with 4gig CF card hooked up with workbench 3.1 installed, it came pre installed so don't know the HD partition's.

What i want to achieve is :

Either stick with this instillation of 3.1 and use whdload and tinyload , iv some what installed these, well dragged the files across using winuae and some games work but some don't, also the games i put on the CF don't show up unless i ' show all files '

And or secondly some how install the classic workbech over the top of my current instillation which comes with a lot of pre installed software making life simpler.

I don't have any genuine amiga disks all in adf disk image format but i do have all the images required to install classic

So if i stick with pre installed workbench 3.1 how can i get my whd games to show up without having to enable 'show all files '?

I think from some of the errors im getting there must be some files either missing or in wrong directory's due to me not installing whdload and just dragging the files across.. the reason i didnt install whdload is i keep getting errors about can't install! could i be missing files that install programs?

Sorry if this post is a mess but im just so frustrated ! iv tested on both A1200 / A600 and winuae with extra ram. talking of extra ram got 4 mb with RTC arriving any day so should resolve some of the memory issues concerning whdload

If replying to this just remember im a dummy lol

Cheers, paul3100
Old 28 April 2014, 08:46   #2
ajk

Many questions there but the way icons work in Workbench is that each file may or may not have an accompanying icon file. These have the suffix .info, so you would for example have "file" and "file.info", where "file.info" represents an icon.

Any file that does not have an accompanying .info file will not show up in Workbench, except when you have "show all files" activated, in which case everything shows up with a generic default icon.

If you did have icons for your games in WinUAE, they should have been copied over to the real system when you copied the files over. If you didn't have icons in the first place, you'll need to obtain some and add them yourself. But that will require at least a basic understanding of Workbench

Someone else will have to help you with Classic Workbench, I've never used it.
Old 28 April 2014, 09:08   #3
fryguy

I never used ClassicWB but it sounds like you're not using the latest installer.
Get this one http://aminet.net/util/misc/Installer-43_3.lha
Old 28 April 2014, 09:14   #4
paul3100

thanks for responding

I know a lot of questions lol but im just so frustrated!

Anyway no the games icons didn't show up in winuae either but i do understand what your saying about corresponding .info files for the workbench to be able to show the game icons.

I would have thought that the .info files would have came with the whd files already and perhaps they did and maybe i just placed them in th wrong directory, will need to look

It just seems there are perhaps files missing from my pre installed workbench 3.1 install that the seller set up for me, i figured out that DH0 = workbench , DH1 = games 1 (folder) & DH2 = games 2 (folder) .

Anyway ill go away and try some stuff you suggested like locating the .info files or perhaps create one to test out...

thanks , paul
Old 28 April 2014, 10:06   #5
ajk

If you download games from e.g. http://www.whdownload.com/, they will have nice icons included.
Old 28 April 2014, 19:09   #6
paul3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
I never used ClassicWB but it sounds like you're not using the latest installer.
Get this one http://aminet.net/util/misc/Installer-43_3.lha

that's the one im using version 28
Old 28 April 2014, 19:10   #7
paul3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
If you download games from e.g. http://www.whdownload.com/, they will have nice icons included.

Tryed it and still no joy! works if i use the show all files otherwise its hidden
Old 28 April 2014, 19:21   #8
ajk

Well, I don't know what is going wrong. They definitely include icons:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icons.png
Views:	2255
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	39830  
Old 28 April 2014, 19:23   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Can you open a shell window, cd to a games dir, then type in list and post the contents as a pic?

EDIT: Too slow......
Old 28 April 2014, 22:42   #10
paul3100

sorry been busy

Cant seem open shell comes up with a message ' please insert volume kcon in any drive

Think my install of workbench 3.1 is messed up to be honest, how can i do a fresh install on my cfd rive using only winuae and adf images of workbench ?

Checked all files using windows and can,t see any info files in any of the games and they were downloaded from the source above

EDIT, also when trying to install an actual installable game that shows up fine but when i try to install it i get the message ' unable to open your tool , installer

Last edited by paul3100; 28 April 2014 at 22:47.
Old 29 April 2014, 10:10   #11
ajk

The icons are there in Windows too:

KCON: refers to KingCON, which is a shell replacement with more features. Your installation seems to be broken somehow.

"Installer" is a program which runs install scripts, it should be included with a full 3.1 install, or you can get a newer version from Aminet as suggested by fryguy above. For some reason yours is missing or is not in any standard location so Workbench cannot find it.

If you have all six WB3.1 ADF images, it's pretty straightforward to install WB3.1 in WinUAE. Just format your current hard disk (= CompactFlash card), boot from the 3.1 install disk and start the installation. It will start copying files and ask for all the other floppies one after the other, should take about 5-10 minutes to complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settlers.png
Views:	2241
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	39840  
Old 29 April 2014, 17:17   #12
paul3100

yeah i can see those files so that's not it i guess

Would it make any difference where the game is placed? there in DH1 named games.

I think though its more likely down to something iv maybe deleted in workbench!

Im struggling to do a fresh install of workbench
Old 02 May 2014, 15:59   #13
paul3100

Just an update and and a sorry fort getting back quicker to all the help you guys have given.

Well I got that frustrated with nothing working right i decided to but another CF card pre installed with classic workbench and to my surprise it also came pre loaded with whdload (full) and millions of amiga games in adf a600/1200 .. AGA ,cdtv , cd32.

Plus loads more types of games, demos , tools and so on. so im really happy its the set up i wanted all along .

So iv bought one of those pcmcia cards to use with my other CF card for even more room, also said about the 4 meg upgrade and also hs the RT clock and a ultra fast FPU at 50mhz which is needed to get the full benefit using whdload.

So a big thanks to everyone here hopefully i can learn some usefully stuff here and be a help to others.

paul3100
Old 02 May 2014, 16:11   #14
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul3100 View Post
, also said about the 4 meg upgrade and also hs the RT clock and a ultra fast FPU at 50mhz which is needed to get the full benefit using whdload.

paul3100
I wouldn't be concerned with an FPU if your just looking at WHDLOAD.
Old 02 May 2014, 17:49   #15
paul3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
I wouldn't be concerned with an FPU if your just looking at WHDLOAD.
yeah i know but the ram is a must, any idea what so software i can use the Fpu for and whats an fpu lol

chers, paul
Old 02 May 2014, 18:19   #16
ajk

FPU stands for floating point unit. It's the part of a microprocessor which deals with floating point mathematics rather than integer. All modern (and even not-so-modern) processors have the FPU built in, but up to 030 you needed a separate chip.

Basically no games use floating point math so having an FPU is not important. It's only certain type of software, e.g. 3D modeling packages and some others that benefit from one.
Old 02 May 2014, 18:49   #17
paul3100

thanks for the info m8 iv heard of floating point but wasn't sure, its a shame i wont benefit from it but still nice to have lol

Not sure whats wrong ith my A1200 but seems to freeze quite often when playing games i think its possibly the expansion card but i hope not as it doesn't freeze when its out but the card is like new and been well looked after

cheers
Old 02 May 2014, 19:10   #18
crazyc

What accelerator have you got?
Old 02 May 2014, 19:14   #19
paul3100

Its a pc1204 4 MB Memory Expansion

Think ill disable the FPU via jumper see if that makes a difference , don't need it anyway
Old 04 May 2014, 01:40   #20
paul3100

amiga freezes when playing games , not always straight away ! beginning to think it might be the CF card as the other one was ok or something to do with AGA games and using the extra ram