English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 14 January 2014, 22:17   #1
vroom6sri

Can we start an "Optimising Workbench/Your Amiga (A Guide For Novices)" thread?

Hi, all.

I consider myself a novice when it comes to optimising my amiga setup. I've seen comments in threads about new library files, packs, etc. but there doesn't seem to be a one stop shop for advice, instructions and links for the must have files and configurations.

If I'm not way of base here do you think we could start to compile such a resource? I for one would appreciate the guidance.
Old 14 January 2014, 23:05   #2
gurth

I'd find that useful too.

Wiped my ClassicWB install and started a fresh with a vanilla Workbench 3.1 only the last weekend.

Nice as ClassicWB was I found the 'skin' a little overwhelming and because I had no knowledge of how all the components worked in harmony (because they just appeared during the install) I found tweaking a little difficult.

If I could cherry pick the components I wanted, recommend from people I trust, then installed installed myself I'd feel far more in control - plus it's interesting!

I found this thread on amiga.org the other day and have been looking up the tools mentioned.

Last edited by gurth; 14 January 2014 at 23:18.
Old 14 January 2014, 23:32   #3
gurth

this thread looks like we could pick up a few tips to start with...
Old 15 January 2014, 09:14   #4
vroom6sri

Nice one, gurth. There's a good bit of reading there.
Old 16 January 2014, 10:06   #5
Hewitson

If you want to optimise your WB I would suggest starting from scratch and installing only what you need. Not only is this more efficient but it also gives you more of an insight to how the OS works.

I mean no disrespect to the creators of ClassicWB/BetterWB/etc but I feel that they are trying to turn AmigaOS into a Windows-style package which contains a shitload of things you'll never need or use.