English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 14 June 2023, 21:14   #1
rhester72

Found...and lost (re: Scala NTSC)

I completely luckily stumbled upon something unexpected on eBay...an unmodified copy of "Scala 500 US Demo Disk v1.0", something I've never heard of, much less seen in the wild or any disk image collection.

I bought it just to see what it was (since the disk itself is simply labeled "Scala Demo Disk" with the Scala US office address and phone), and it's exactly what t says on the tin...a teaser for Scala 500 NTSC.

I've zoned an unofficial (obviously) IPF and raw preservation dump if anyone else is interested in a Scala historical curiousity.

That being the case...I'm *still* on a _lifelong_ hunt for *ANY* NTSC Scala releases (500, MM, InfoChannel, you name it). I'd _ideally_ like to have MM200 NTSC (since it's what I actually used way back when), but would gladly give a good look to any NTSC version whatsoever. It would seem the preservation level of NTSC-specific applications is pretty close to zero.

Enjoy!
Old 14 June 2023, 22:35   #2
Firestone

I had the Scala Infochannel IC500 NTSC version back in the day..... I'll check if I still got it in my archive.
The IC500 NTSC-version was all the same as far as I can remember, except for the Infochannel and Infochannel Player executeables....?
Old 15 June 2023, 02:48   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Scala 500 v1.0 demo (US) in IPF in the zone.
Old 15 June 2023, 04:11   #4
rhester72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I had the Scala Infochannel IC500 NTSC version back in the day..... I'll check if I still got it in my archive.
The IC500 NTSC-version was all the same as far as I can remember, except for the Infochannel and Infochannel Player executeables....?
You may be right about the only difference being the executables, as at least MM300 specifically asks for the target resolution for the included imagery to be resized (and allows for both PAL and NTSC).

That being said...I still don't know where to find *any* (even eBay, for many years) in NTSC format.

I do, however, have a line on MM200 NTSC, at least - as I tracked down my own old copy that was given away twice over since. No dongle, but I'm trusting that the good folks here can help with that problem. LOL
Old 11 October 2023, 18:25   #5
steveed

I recently got an NTSC A500 with a GVP hard drive and it has an install of Scala on it. I don't know much about it but I can create an archive of the install and whatever other Scala related files if you are interested. I will need to dig around on the hd a bit but it might have a copy of the installer as well. The previous owner seemed to have copied all the install disks on to one of the partitions.
Old 11 October 2023, 23:43   #6
Matt_H

I had no idea these were so rare. NTSC MM300 with MM400 update disks is in the Zone.
Old 30 October 2023, 00:28   #7
rhester72

@steveed - do you happen to know which version?

@Matt_H Thank you SO much!