English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 February 2021, 01:10   #21
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
The code looks like it's all in z80? Have you converted it or are you running some sort of emulation?

Either way... real nice job!
All rewritten is 68000. Had toyed with the idea of setting up a stack of macros to mimic the z80 instructions but would have made it an absolute pig to debug and wouldn't have learnt as much. Moving to a different cpu has its challenges but its made easier, mostly, when you have more registers and instructions to play with.
Old 01 February 2021, 01:13   #22
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

That's nice Ian, I remember you and Ian and Andy proper being into MSX stuff.

Parodius next? lol
Old 01 February 2021, 01:19   #23
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
That's nice Ian, I remember you and Ian and Andy proper being into MSX stuff.

Parodius next? lol
If I had my pick i'd do nemesis 2. Easily the best of the series. Although the thought of getting a letting from Nintendo legal team for looking at the super Mario bros source code is also quite tempting.
Old 01 February 2021, 05:29   #24
Cammy

I love your work h0ffman! What an incredible job you've done porting a game I've heard so much about but never played. I'm so glad I'll finally get to play it and on my Amiga! Keep up the brilliant work!
Old 01 February 2021, 06:06   #25
Valken

I love that old school Yamaha sound chip background music.

Great job!

I wonder how hard would it be to port ZXNext games over to the Amiga? Probably AGA only to keep the palette intact and to emulate the 3x sound chips for 12 channel mixed audio.
Old 01 February 2021, 07:41   #26
Wavemaker

I remember playing this in my MSX... easily the best 8 bit game. Thanks for your effort

It's a pity the system is unknown in most of the countries where Amiga was popular, there were so many great games made for it, particularly from Konami.
Old 01 February 2021, 08:23   #27
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Woah. Great job, mate.

Thought you are a Protracker dude firstly, didn't know you can code as well..
What a wizard.
Old 01 February 2021, 08:51   #28
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Since Nov 2020, I've been tirelessly working on porting MSX classic Metal Gear to the Amiga 500. Gameplay code is 90% complete so thought it might be time to show it off (even with the odd glitch). Still a long way to go but its coming.

Good to hear that, i have just one humble request. Please don't force only one button joystick control and also add support for 2 (3?*) and 7 (joypads from CD32 and compatible) buttons support. It's nice to have almost all (or maybe even all for CD32 joypads) controls on joy and not be forced to use also keyboard.

* There are only few games with 3 buttons support for Amiga, probably nowadays is more games with 3 buttons support for C64 (!).
Old 01 February 2021, 08:56   #29
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
So about that, this port was only really possible because someone did a full commented dissassembly of the original game. It looked like a silly amount of work but it made it perfect for porting.

Doing a port of 2 would need that phase effectively doing first.

I hope it would be possible in future, because also in my opinion Metal Gear 2 is even better than first part.
Old 01 February 2021, 09:00   #30
Konrad

Good job !
Old 01 February 2021, 09:37   #31
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Since Nov 2020, I've been tirelessly working on porting MSX classic Metal Gear to the Amiga 500. Gameplay code is 90% complete so thought it might be time to show it off (even with the odd glitch). Still a long way to go but its coming.

Some additional details.

Game has been converted to run at full frame rate. Original MSX version would mostly run at 25/30 frames but worse during busy scenes.

Will include option to play with original European translation and updated translation which is closer to the Japanese original.

Will include emulated original sound track and sound effects as well as a fully enhanced sound option.

[ Show youtube player ]
Hi Hoffman, thank you for converting this wonderful game to the Amiga, you got a private message from me.
Old 01 February 2021, 09:38   #32
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Good to hear that, i have just one humble request. Please don't force only one button joystick control and also add support for 2 (3?*) and 7 (joypads from CD32 and compatible) buttons support. It's nice to have almost all (or maybe even all for CD32 joypads) controls on joy and not be forced to use also keyboard.

* There are only few games with 3 buttons support for Amiga, probably nowadays is more games with 3 buttons support for C64 (!).
I got Master System controller with 2 buttons and CD32 controllers.
Old 01 February 2021, 09:39   #33
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
I hope it would be possible in future, because also in my opinion Metal Gear 2 is even better than first part.
Yes, MG2 is amazing, with the MSX2 version character faces, maybe in the future.
Old 01 February 2021, 10:18   #34
redblade
Zone Friend

I used to love this series, the last one I played was Metal Gear Solid 4.

This looks amazing, Does Metal Gear have a key card problem? I.e If you have keycard 4, It can't be used on keycard 1, so you have to keep trying the different key cards?

If so will you be fixing this or leaving it in? What is your Memory map like for this game?
Old 01 February 2021, 11:58   #35
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I used to love this series, the last one I played was Metal Gear Solid 4.

This looks amazing, Does Metal Gear have a key card problem? I.e If you have keycard 4, It can't be used on keycard 1, so you have to keep trying the different key cards?

If so will you be fixing this or leaving it in? What is your Memory map like for this game?
Keycard code has been implemented verbatim, meaning you have to keep switching cards till you use the right one. While it is something I could change I think it's part of the original gameplay, however frustratingly 80's that might be.

Memory wise, it's doing OK so far with pretty much all game elements implemented. But.. audio is coming up and it's going to be VERY expensive.
Old 01 February 2021, 12:58   #36
pink^abyss

Quote:
Keycard code has been implemented verbatim, meaning you have to keep switching cards till you use the right one. While it is something I could change I think it's part of the original gameplay, however frustratingly 80's that might be.

Memory wise, it's doing OK so far with pretty much all game elements implemented. But.. audio is coming up and it's going to be VERY expensive.

Very nice port Hoffman! Looking forward to the enhanced audio

Is it a single file or loading data from disk?
Old 01 February 2021, 13:55   #37
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
Very nice port Hoffman! Looking forward to the enhanced audio

Is it a single file or loading data from disk?
Hey Pink

That's undecided as yet but the audio size will most likely determine this. I'm using about 500kb in total so far (around a 50/50 split between slow and chip) but I'm sucked for high quality samples. Ultimately it could end up being my usual of A500 being full system kill to get as much RAM as possible with hard drive based EXE available for larger systems ( or a WHDLOAD patch? )

Looking forward to Tinyus
Old 01 February 2021, 15:32   #38
pink^abyss

Quote:
Hey Pink

That's undecided as yet but the audio size will most likely determine this. I'm using about 500kb in total so far (around a 50/50 split between slow and chip) but I'm sucked for high quality samples. Ultimately it could end up being my usual of A500 being full system kill to get as much RAM as possible with hard drive based EXE available for larger systems ( or a WHDLOAD patch? )

Looking forward to Tinyus
I see. Getting HQ samples into a normal spec A500 game is really tricky.
Easier if samples can be re-used between Protracker songs.. However, if someone can do it then you!

Tinyus is finished (or at least ready for public beta ). Perhaps i release it today on EAB. The final build used 24kb for all music data (14 songs and 16 sfx). Chipram usage is 4700 bytes.. and even that was almost too much
Old 01 February 2021, 16:56   #39
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Thought you are a Protracker dude firstly, didn't know you can code as well..
What a wizard.
Always sad to realize the software you've been working on for so many years together with h0ffman, which he coded entirely, isn't even remotely on people's radar

So excited for this port, Metal Gear is one of the greatest games we never got.

And Pink, I have no idea how you do it... you fit Gradius in that little space? You're a monster looking forward to that very much too.
Old 01 February 2021, 17:05   #40
darkwave

This is awesome! Kudos.