English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 October 2021, 17:49   #1
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

AROS ROM Issues - Games run too Slow or too Fast

I know the AROS ROM is far from complete and it has major issues with some Games which is to be expected, But I wish to make an AROS-Only package for those who do not have the Kickstart ROMS, a few select games which will fully run under AROS

I have managed to use A1200/AGA settings to get most of them to work at Normal Speed, along with a 68020 CPU, although some Games run rather quick, I could do with a way to slow these down a bit

Now on the PC we have things like SLOWDOS and MOSLO to slow down these Games, Does anyone know if there is any Amiga-equivalent?
Old 01 October 2021, 23:29   #2
kriz

Some example games would be interesting for further testing ..
Old 02 October 2021, 00:38   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga600 View Post
I know the AROS ROM is far from complete and it has major issues with some Games which is to be expected, But I wish to make an AROS-Only package for those who do not have the Kickstart ROMS, a few select games which will fully run under AROS

I have managed to use A1200/AGA settings to get most of them to work at Normal Speed, along with a 68020 CPU, although some Games run rather quick, I could do with a way to slow these down a bit

Now on the PC we have things like SLOWDOS and MOSLO to slow down these Games, Does anyone know if there is any Amiga-equivalent?

What ROMs are you using ?
Old 02 October 2021, 16:02   #4
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

I use the built in ROM, and specifically I have tested games as follows (the KS1.3/3.1 reference basically says where the Game is on my Downloadable Collection from Amigaboing.net

Playable KS1.3 Games
""""""""""""""""""""""""
Amoeba Invaders - Use Mouse to Move/Shoot
Cave Runner - Runs too fast using the KS3.1 Config (and swapping ROM to AROS) - although using 68000 CPU it plays fine, so maybe I am just going to need 2 x AROS configs based on 1.3/3.1 I think going forward
Mouth-Man
Nibby Nibble

Playable KS3.1 Games
""""""""""""""""""""""""
Battlements (AMOS)
Bobs Garden
Deluxe Pacman 1.1A, 1.2, 1.4 (1.7 has Graphical Glitches) <- (NOTE: 1.7 works if I force AGA (eg. ToggleAGA A) before it loads)
Digger
Dithells Wonderland (AMOS)
Fire and Ice Christmas
Llamatron - Shows Requester Crash but loads fine! - Safe to completely Ignore the Requester!
Megaworm
Pacman Kari
Pacman-PP
Q-Bic
Super Pacman '92 (Both Versions)
Super Twintris
Top Hat Willy
Top Secret
Old 02 October 2021, 16:37   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

AGA games also work fine, should you need it for some testing, you can find the most updated AROS ROMs HERE in the Nightly Build AROS 68k
Old 02 October 2021, 20:04   #6
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

I seem to get better results by using the built-in AROS ROM in WinUAE so I will stick to that more since everyone obtains that version when downloading it

I have tried the nightly download using aros-rom.bin (as Main) and aros-ext.bin (as EXT) - But it completely refuses to even load the "Selector" program I use for the Menu System and crashes to a white screen, so I think using nightly builds is something I wont bother with (for now at least)

Another slight annoyance with AROS is it takes far much longer to do its POST tests, and also when loading "Selector" menu, the Graphics drawing ability is so slow its like watching paint dry

I know AROS is not yet complete product, But they really need to speed it up somewhat in terms of booting and drawing graphics, The booting up takes ages, going through the various colours at the beginning, where it checks itself etc, then the actual loading, and using "TYPE" for example, is very slow

Also another thing I have noticed, is when you select a game, I have it clearing the AmigaDOS window and then showing "Loading <game> .." which works in KS1.3/3.1 ofc, But under AROS it just does not perform these steps, so that is obviously another problem with AROS sadly

As well as further, much much earlier testing, that SETMAP does not work at all in AROS - so originally I was going to use KeyMacro which did work, But since finding "Selector" I no longer need to use Setmap/Keymacro methods

Last edited by Amiga600; 02 October 2021 at 20:11.
Old 03 October 2021, 01:35   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

AROS is slow if you use it in PAL, but if you use an RTG screen it's very fast, look at the attached video in HQ, I used my AROS One 68k on an old DualCore:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 October 2021, 14:27   #8
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

RTG is faded out for me, Cannot even select anything on that, tried tweaking other options and it seems RTG is not available for me, or maybe I am doing something wrong?

If anyone has an optimal AROS style config, Please can you let me have it so I can fully test stuff via AROS, Thanks
Old 05 October 2021, 15:57   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

I'm creating you a small 200MB HardFile with the latest Nightly Build configured with a 1024x768 RTG screen in the window.

I also include my WinUAE confiig, you just have to insert the latest ROMs (the ones built into WinUAE are no longer supported) and the attached HardFile.

I can't send you my AROS One 68k because it's still under construction, I'm waiting for more stability before distributing it.
Old 05 October 2021, 17:41   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

As promised here is the WinUAE Config and the HardFile with AROS 68k Standard (Nightly Build) installed, Wanderer RTG.
I remember to use the two last ROMs included in the Nightly Build, with the one integrated in WinUAE AROS 68k won't start.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1miz...ew?usp=sharing
Old 05 October 2021, 18:00   #11
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Well I would probably need to alter that to work with the AROS-Supported Games, maybe insofar as creating an AROS-Only Games Package

People on Twitter voted for "AROS-marked" Games on my current KS1.3/3.1 Images but it now seems AROS really needs its own specific Configuration to work properly

So based on that alone, I think I will have to just have an separate AROS-Only Package for download

Many Thanks for your help on this matter it is truly appreciated, Thankyou
Old 05 October 2021, 18:14   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

On AROs also works well WHDload games, DOSBox, and especially many 3D porting as Doom, Quake 1,2,3 and many others released lately, some examples.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 October 2021, 18:38   #13
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
AGA games also work fine, should you need it for some testing, you can find the most updated AROS ROMs HERE in the Nightly Build AROS 68k

I'm probably dense, but how do you get/use the latest ROM? Softkick with floppy (which config?) or is there one or more .rom files in one of the archives I'm not seeing?
Old 05 October 2021, 19:10   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

If you need to use a Distro AROS 68k on WinUAE you simply have to load the two most recent ROMs that you find HERE in the ISO Nightly Build, path Boot/Amiga/.

The two ROMs must be loaded on WinUAE as you normally do with KickStart, of course each in its place, the two ROMs can also be merged and create a single ROM.

If instead you want to boot AROS 68k from a Real Amiga then you have to map the Rom from file by adding some commands in the startup sequence, see AROS Vision Distribution.

On a Real Amiga AROS One will be very slow unless you use a very powerful expansion.
Old 05 October 2021, 19:38   #15
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
If you need to use a Distro AROS 68k on WinUAE you simply have to load the two most recent ROMs that you find HERE in the ISO Nightly Build, path Boot/Amiga/.

The two ROMs must be loaded on WinUAE as you normally do with KickStart, of course each in its place, the two ROMs can also be merged and create a single ROM.

If instead you want to boot AROS 68k from a Real Amiga then you have to map the Rom from file by adding some commands in the startup sequence, see AROS Vision Distribution.

On a Real Amiga AROS One will be very slow unless you use a very powerful expansion.

Thanks, I was able to get something running with A4000 quickstart in latest WinUAE (4.9.0b36) with those ROM files.
Old 05 October 2021, 20:10   #16
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
I'm probably dense, but how do you get/use the latest ROM? Softkick with floppy (which config?) or is there one or more .rom files in one of the archives I'm not seeing?
Download the "amiga-m68k-boot-iso" image, and the ROMS are in Boot\Amiga (aros-rom.bin and aros-ext.bin)
Old 05 October 2021, 20:17   #17
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Well it seems only the built-in AROS ROM actually works properly for now

Using those 2 BIN files from that nightly release, the Selector menu sometimes crashes and/or some Games just refuse to load

So for now I will just concentrate on getting the select few games working alongside the built-in AROS ROM image unless I am missing something I could try perhaps?

Would it be better if I uploaded the AROS setup I have as of now, maybe someone else whos better at troubleshooting can help me out with this?
Old 05 October 2021, 21:11   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

AROS 68k at the moment is a building site that's why my AROS One 68k distribution is not available, it will be available as soon as the system will be more stable and more compatible with OS3 applications.

It's different for AROS One x86 that is "identical" but much more stable, probably tomorrow I will distribute the new version 1.6.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qfY...D9SkGTieR/view
Old 06 October 2021, 12:47   #19
Tomislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga600 View Post
RTG is faded out for me, Cannot even select anything on that, tried tweaking other options and it seems RTG is not available for me, or maybe I am doing something wrong?
Do you, maybe, trying to change it while emulation is running. With F12 it's just paused, but emulation is still running. You can't change some things while emulation is running. Use Restart button or start WinUAE again.
Old 06 October 2021, 18:40   #20
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

I have figured out RTG, but testing it just puts the screen in the middle so tiny, and Selector Menu only loads in top-half of the screen very very slowly, so I do not think RTG mode will work for the AROS Collection I am building

When testing Matchstick Man (AMOS) in AROS, it cuts off the bottom part of the screen, can anyone help with this?

Not sure how to upload screenshots here so posted them on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/AmigaBoing/statu...592873477?s=20

Additionally, FurBall (AMOS) also loads, But music runs fast, and has a Pink line at the top of the screen

Games like Premier Picks (AMOS) load the Title Screen but when pushing Left Mouse, just instantly bomb out back to AmigaDOS

Not sure if there are fixes for these problems yet, But heres hoping