English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 April 2008, 19:43   #1
skote

One about monitors

So.... Now i have my Amiga 1200, PC, and PowerMac G4 all on the same desk in the conservatory. I need a large open space ot help the heat dissipate. I have a Commodore 1085S for the Amiga and an Iiyama TFT for the other two. I want to be able to route the Amiga through the TFT to give me more desk space. From looking at the specs, the Iiyama should work at 30Hz horizontal refresh. Can I just hack a cable together out of old bits and run my Amiga Workbench at DblPAL, or is there something more complicated I need to do? Do I need a Scan Doubler / Flicker Fixer?
Old 29 April 2008, 20:12   #2
Hougham

Just add the VGA monitor to your Amiga monitor list and run it at that (not 100% on what WB variants had this). Though you will require the cable adapter. Amiga kit had them. Or the best way would be to get a scan doubler
Old 29 April 2008, 20:15   #3
Hougham

Just had a look the VGA monitor should be stored under "storage" and then "monitors"

Though this will not let you play most old games on a VGA monitor just WB

Last edited by Hougham; 29 April 2008 at 20:26.
Old 29 April 2008, 23:27   #4
skote

Cool. I shall give it a go. Thanks.
Old 04 May 2008, 17:35   #5
Mr B

Adding to this thread, instead of starting a new one. Alternatives for running games, and other none WB software on a modern screen? I got a Dell 2007WFP so i guess i could just go with composite, or S-video, but picture quality, it seams to be less then perfect. I fully understand aspect ratios will be of since the Amiga expects a 4:3 format.
Any ideas? Scandoublers seam to be hard to find, and/or expencive.
B!
Old 04 May 2008, 18:40   #6
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
I got a Dell 2007WFP
That's exactly the same monitor that I've got. My PC uses one of the DVI connections, so I'm currently after a SD/FF so that I can put an Amiga into one of the VGA connections. As you say, the Amiga will output a 4:3 format, but the monitor can be changed to 4:3 with the on-screen menu so that the image isn't stretched. Unfortunately, as you say, SD/FFs are expensive!

Steve.
Old 04 May 2008, 23:25   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
That's exactly the same monitor that I've got. My PC uses one of the DVI connections, so I'm currently after a SD/FF so that I can put an Amiga into one of the VGA connections. As you say, the Amiga will output a 4:3 format, but the monitor can be changed to 4:3 with the on-screen menu so that the image isn't stretched. Unfortunately, as you say, SD/FFs are expensive!

Steve.
Jens Schoenfeld is selling new (yes, NEW!) internal scandoublers right now! Just 129 Euros.
Old 04 May 2008, 23:55   #8
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Jens Schoenfeld is selling new (yes, NEW!) internal scandoublers right now! Just 129 Euros.
where's this from chap?
Old 07 May 2008, 01:05   #9
Mr B

Quote:
More info plz? I found some mention of what i think is this device in a thread about Roy's none AGA compitable device, where it was stated "Sometime later this year. Much later." This keept me on the fence for some time still, so more info would be nice.
B!
Old 07 May 2008, 01:17   #10
rkauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
More info plz? I found some mention of what i think is this device in a thread about Roy's none AGA compitable device, where it was stated "Sometime later this year. Much later." This keept me on the fence for some time still, so more info would be nice.
B!
Jens Schoenfeld (aka Individual Computers) is a major Amiga hardware designer.

More information about his SD/FF is findable here:

http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...r=ASC&start=60

But for those who love to drool:

- It's an internal model intended only for the A1200;

- the output is normally over 60Hz, so any monitor can be used;

- RTF thread!
Old 07 May 2008, 01:41   #11
Mr B

I think the keyword is "forthcoming".
As in not yet available. But yes, that was the one i've read about, but i read it somewhere else where there was a less optimistic timeframe on when the unit would be available for sale.

I also checked his own site, on which there was no info about the unit. So, all in all, i think we can conclude he isn't really selling them right now, but getting ready to sell them.
Yes?

B!
Old 07 May 2008, 06:18   #12
rkauer

Quote:
I think the keyword is "forthcoming".
As in not yet available. But yes, that was the one i've read about, but i read it somewhere else where there was a less optimistic timeframe on when the unit would be available for sale.

I also checked his own site, on which there was no info about the unit. So, all in all, i think we can conclude he isn't really selling them right now, but getting ready to sell them.
Yes?

B!
No...

You have to pre-order (no money in advance, BTW) via email. He had reserved only 50 pieces for direct sales. So hurry!
Old 07 May 2008, 09:54   #13
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:

Steve.
Don't be so sure that will work!
I have an 17" Dell TFT for my PC and Internal SD doesn't work (Out of Range message). Ofc in Voodoo3 on my Mediator it works like a charm but for AGA via SD not all monitors go low in vsync for them to work flawlesly. My Dell 17" CRT is more tolerant on AGA and works like a charm.

That is what I wanna do also (Use PC, RTG, AGA) on same monitor so I'm searching for a noble TFT/LCD TV 19-22" in order to use DVI for PC, VGA for AGA/RTG and Scart for A600. Need to try before buy though to be sure you won't end up having a screen that isn't doing the job :S
Old 08 May 2008, 05:15   #14
rkauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Don't be so sure that will work!
I have an 17" Dell TFT for my PC and Internal SD doesn't work (Out of Range message). Ofc in Voodoo3 on my Mediator it works like a charm but for AGA via SD not all monitors go low in vsync for them to work flawlesly. My Dell 17" CRT is more tolerant on AGA and works like a charm.

That is what I wanna do also (Use PC, RTG, AGA) on same monitor so I'm searching for a noble TFT/LCD TV 19-22" in order to use DVI for PC, VGA for AGA/RTG and Scart for A600. Need to try before buy though to be sure you won't end up having a screen that isn't doing the job :S
That's exactly why that Jen's SD are so good: it performs a frequency "upgrade" in the output. The vast majority of SD/FF (if not all of them) just doubles the Horizontal frequency from 15 to 31kHz. PAL modes, with their 50Hz frequencies are not showed at all, since up-to-date TFT monitors don't sync under 56Hz (at least the majority of 'em).
Old 08 May 2008, 08:05   #15
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
No...

You have to pre-order (no money in advance, BTW) via email. He had reserved only 50 pieces for direct sales. So hurry!
Where did you read this info?

There is no mention in the thread of pre-orders or numbers as far as I can see.
Old 08 May 2008, 08:55   #16
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Where did you read this info?

There is no mention in the thread of pre-orders or numbers as far as I can see.
I asked Jens a few weeks ago and he told me only retailers who order at least 60 units can pre-order.
Old 08 May 2008, 21:23   #17
rlcarr

Quote:
Alternatives for running games, and other none WB software on a modern screen? I got a Dell 2007WFP so i guess i could just go with composite, or S-video, but picture quality, it seams to be less then perfect.
I have a Dell 2001FP and it'll sync to 15.whatever kHz NTSC over both the composite input (of course) and the D-sub input (which is a lot rarer, apparently).

Does the 2007WFP (or newer) Dells still have the ability to sync to a 15kHz signal over the D-sub input?
Old 09 May 2008, 06:46   #18
NovaCoder

Also don't forget about these
Old 09 May 2008, 08:17   #19
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Does the 2007WFP (or newer) Dells still have the ability to sync to a 15kHz signal over the D-sub input?
For my Dell 2407WFP:
Quote:
Horizontal Scan Frequency: 30 kHz to 81 kHz (automatic)
Vertical Scan Frequency: 56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatic), exception 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz only
So presumably I need at least a scan doubler (don't know about a flicker fixer, though).

Steve.
Old 09 May 2008, 16:58   #20
rlcarr

Quote:
So presumably I need at least a scan doubler (don't know about a flicker fixer, though).
Don't assume that. My Dell 2001FP spec sheet says the same thing, yet it can sync to NTSC over the D-sub connector as well as over the composite connector.