English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 18 February 2010, 06:06   #1
JackAsser

Blitter nasty or not?

Hi!

I'm sure this is all in the ref guide but I just wanted to hear your experiences with the blitter nasty bit. What gives most bang for the buck or is it doesn't matter in the end?

What I'm thinking is that using the blitter nasty bit in dmacon is nice - the blitter runs faster and I don't have to fiddle with waiting for the blitter to finish. Otoh, not using it gives me the opportunity to do CPU stuff during the blit.

However, if the blit AND the CPU stuff are both equally time critical, couldn't I just as well use the blitter nasty bit. Both must be finished ASAP anyway to produce the frame.

Regards, JackAsser
Old 18 February 2010, 11:57   #2
Leffmann

Turn it off if you have some CPU code that can run in parallel, and turn it on while waiting for the blitter to finish.

If it's off then you allow the CPU access to chipmem regularly, providing means for it to run in parallel with a blitter operation. Lengthy instructions like multiplications and divisions that might need a single chipmem access to read the instruction (if it's stored in chipmem) can spend the next 50 cycles doing internal calculations while the blitter carries on working in chipmem. Theoretically you can overlap CPU and blitter operations and reduce the time some piece of CPU code needs to execute, down to the time the CPU needs to do the memory accesses alone.

Turning blitter nasty on only while waiting for the blitter to finish prevents the CPU from stealing bus cycles polling DMACONR. IIRC this could be up to 1/4 cycles and potentially a blitter operation could take 33% longer to finish.

Look into using 3 screen buffers as well if you're drawing using the CPU only. Displaying one buffer while letting the blitter clear the next and the CPU draw in the third will usually earn you a few rasterlines.
Old 18 February 2010, 12:03   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Always wait for blitter. Only "acceptable" reason if you are doing A500 68000-only program that needs all available cycles and more and few cycles gained from removing blitter waits makes your effect better and faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAsser View Post
the blitter runs faster and I don't have to fiddle with waiting for the blitter to finish.
It isn't that simple. Check that blitter cycle diagram again. Most have idle cycles. And never ever do that if you want fast ram or 68020+ compatibility.

(EDIT: why do I always reply when someone has replied few moments ago?)
Old 18 February 2010, 12:10   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
(EDIT: why do I always reply when someone has replied few moments ago?)
Because you're too slow, just like me. :P I was going to write exactly the same regarding "not necessary to wait for blitter to finish if blitter nasty is set".
Old 18 February 2010, 12:36   #5
JackAsser

Noted, thanks again guys.

/JackAsser
Old 28 March 2010, 22:45   #6
Photon

In response to the thread title: 'Yes. Yes, the blitter is very nasty indeed. But Paula is nastier, at least on weekday evenings.'