English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 10 May 2002, 02:18   #1
backtoskooldaze

Angry quake not very good!!!!!!!!!

Hi can anyone tell me how to get quake running on my a1200 so it's playable at least.I have played doom and gloom and it's cool but when trying to play quake it's crap!!!!!(sorry but i was expecting something half decent at least)

I have A1200, 3.5 in pc harddrive which quake is installed on,blizzard 1230IV fpu@50mhz 32 mb/scsi.
I am using AGA gfx at the moment but surely i should be able to play it like doom/gloom.I have reduced the window size and played with the pixel settings etc.. but still crap it's jerky the gfx are rubbish.
I am upgrading so i will go back to playing this game but the minimum specs are very misleading.
Old 10 May 2002, 09:27   #2
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

I'm not sure if you can get it faster but I can guarantee Quake will be slower than Doom/Gloom for at least 1 simple reason... it raycasts every pixel as opposed to every line. That's a lot more calculations!

Out of curiosity, how many frames per seconds are you getting?
Old 10 May 2002, 12:32   #3
RetroMan

Sorry, but you won´t be able to run Quake on a 030/50Mhz. !!! It´s slow on my 040/40Mhz. also ..... don´t bother with it ....
Old 10 May 2002, 14:56   #4
blackcornflake

RetroMan is correct, as always. Quake 68K is too demanding for an 030.

PPC processors (and a gfx card) are really required for an enjoyable bit of Quake-ing. And as luck would have it, now id have released the Quake source, various PPC ports have been made for Amiga. For that matter, id have also released the Quake 2 source, and the Amiga port is currently being worked on. Cool.

PPC-less? A cool FPS that will run fine on an 030 is Genetic Species by Marble Eyes/Vulcan. The Amiga version is now freeware. Two places I know it is available from are Back2theRoots and Aminet. Support patches are available from the Marble Eyes website.

Downloading the game might take a while, as it is a rather whopping 64.2mb! BTTR offer one big HD file, whereas on Aminet it is split up into lots of pieces. GS also appeared on AmigaActive CD23 (August 2001).

Side note: Guess which platform GS is being ported to?
Old 10 May 2002, 19:29   #5
backtoskooldaze

Thumbs up Cheers for your replies!!!!

Hi Thanks for your replies about quake i feel now i have wasted £10.00 as this was the price i paid online to clickboom!
I am dissapointed as i believed it was going to be good and like i said before the minimum spec is a load of rubbish and it must be bad if it runs slow on a 040 processor!
So am i to wasting my time upgrading my A1200 with a mediator board then using a better graphics card???and if i am not to bother with quake why do they convert something from a pc machine to amiga and start saying it's identical and it's a great game which it is on the pc but i bought it for the amiga and now feel i am wasting my money on amiga if i can't get it to run.

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

CLICKBOOM NEED TO BE MORE HONEST WITH AMIGA USERS!!!!!
Old 11 May 2002, 02:28   #6
blackcornflake

Dude! You will not be wasting your time upgrading to a faster processor and a graphics card! The point behind minimum specs: the minimum required to run something! Not necessarily run it well; just run it.

An upgrade for an Amiga system is so much more worthwhile than a PC upgrade it is outrageous. The very fact that one can run Quake on an A1200 with 030 (one OLD upgrade processor) with AGA (even older) is testament to that. Your £10 was not wasted. You own Quake on Amiga CD. You just need to splash a little more cash to be able to play it in a satisfactory way. Like that sort of situation hasn't driven the PC games market for the last 10 years!

How must those suckers who paid £1,000 for a 100MHz Pentium in 1996 feel?
Old 11 May 2002, 03:39   #7
backtoskooldaze

Wink I have just thought!!!!!1

Hi Cheers for your reply m8 i have thought about what you have said and i have decided to keep on going with the amiga upgrades but you must admit that the minimum specs are rediculous oppose to the pc games specs i have hundreds of original cd games and i started off with pc's years ago looking at the specs of a game and trying it out on a minimum spec machine and they played ok then as i got more involved i upgraded to get the most out of a game etc...but i was dissapointed when i saw quake on the amiga but i will build and achieve my little goal!!!but how many games are out there and yet to come for my amiga once it is capable of playing good games??????i know games are not everything but i do like action and all the thrills to go with it and especially with the games consoles of today and the PC the amiga has to be up to scratch at some point.

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.
Old 11 May 2002, 19:38   #8
Amiga1992

Ridiculouas? What I find ridiculous, is needing to have a 1.5GHz machine with another scary videocard, just to play the latest FPS garbage.

I'm not going to upgrade my Amiga, but that's because I dont need that FPS stuff going on.If I ever get a 4000, I'll add a videocard in there, and a nice 060.

The subject of your post says it all: quake not very good! I;d say "quaker b pants"
Old 11 May 2002, 21:12   #9
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by backtoskooldaze
but how many games are out there and yet to come for my amiga once it is capable of playing good games??????
There are many, many great Amiga games that your system is more than capable of handling at the moment. Quake was, in a way, an unlucky pick, as it must be one of the most demanding games for Amiga ever!

Anyway, here are some games which play nicely on, say, 060 with gfx card:
Earth2140 (RTS)
Exodus (RTS)
Napalm (RTS)
Nightlong (Adventure)
Payback (GTA-like)
Emulators (NES, Spectrum, Game Gear, you name it)

Most new game releases will need PPC. Not many around at the moment, but I think the numbers will increase greatly once the AmigaOne is out.

Here are some currently available PPC games:
Freespace
Heretic II
Shogo
SiN
Wipeout2097
More emulators (SNES, WarpMAME...)
Old 11 May 2002, 22:20   #10
RetroMan

Payback is also "kinda" playable on a 030/50Mhz. AGA machine (sometimes HUGE slowdowns, BUT playable ) ! Napalm runs perfectly on a 030/50Mhz. AGA machine and for newer games, you forgotten The Feeble Files for PPC and 060
Old 12 May 2002, 01:04   #11
backtoskooldaze

Wink HI CHEERS EVERYONE!!!!!!

Hi cheers to eveyone who has replied to my thread i am a games person and also a network/internet person. I think it's now a decision to each to their own and depending on what you want to do with a machine.I respect all views of other people.I will continue to upgrade my A1200 and what ever it becomeswill be.I love the Amiga and pc's so both seem to go hand in hand.I have bought os 3.9 and 3.1 roms which i have fitted and a tower from powercomputing which i am pleased with i will carry on as i get satisfaction which counts and while ever i get pleasure from the amiga i will continue.

RESPECT TO ALL!!!!!
Old 12 May 2002, 03:12   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: HI CHEERS EVERYONE!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by backtoskooldaze
Old 12 May 2002, 04:50   #13
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by da blackcornflake
Guess which platform Genetic Species is being ported to?
Anybody? Nope?

GBA.

Natch.