English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 08 September 2013, 18:40   #1
Radertified

Looking for a demo from the early 90s

Found it:
http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=27990 - XTC Rave (Intro) by Spacecake

This is the disk it was on:

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=14815 - Head'n'Shoulders 1 (Packdisk) by Cyberaktif

-----

Original request post:

I'm looking for a demo or dentro from the early 90s (just a guess). The details I can provide are:

- It begins with a deep voice saying "Is the music ternal or eternal? Listen and decide"
- The demo is mostly (entirely?) black and white, consisting of lots of flashing to the beat of the music, which I think is acid house.
- At one point in the demo a different voice says "Fucking excellent acid house", and I believe those words flash onto the screen as they are said. This sample seems to be from the song "Chemical Beats" by "The Chemical Brothers": [ Show youtube player ] (you'll hear it at around 1:24).
- It wasn't a long demo.
- It might have had the word "Corruption" or "Suicide" in the name of the demo, or perhaps the mod file? And it might have been a 2 word title (Digital Suicide?). It seems familiar, but don't take this as gospel since I might be mixing things up with other demos.
- It was a single file on a disk and ended in .exe. It was the only demo on the disk. I think it might have had some software on there too but am not entirely sure.

I hope that's not too vague. I'll definitely know it if I see it again, or even if a name is given.

Thanks for any help in tracking it down. It's been bugging me for over a decade!

Last edited by Radertified; 04 May 2020 at 16:35.
Old 14 September 2013, 17:20   #2
Radertified

Just a quick bump in case there are demo fanatics around that may have missed this the first time
Old 02 April 2014, 07:12   #3
Radertified

Anyone?
Old 02 April 2014, 09:22   #4
Simmo76

Inputting "fucking excellent acid house" into Google threw up the following:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16184-back-on-time/

It's acid house and from about the right period - so maybe the demo sampled this?
Searching for the same on pouet.net returned nothing however.
Old 05 April 2014, 03:57   #5
Radertified

I think you found the sample. I've uploaded to the zone 2 MP3's from the song:

- FEAH.mp3 is the sample taken from the song. If I recall, I remember ripping the audio from the demo executable back in the day and remember hearing this very sample. I don't know if it had the background music though.
- FEAH SpeedUp.mp3 is a sped up version of the sample. I recall the demo sped up this particular sample, and it was somewhat similar to this (maybe faster, maybe slower, I don't recall).

Whether or not this sample originated from Plug's "Mind Bending", I don't know, but at least it's a clue.

Thanks for the help Simmo76!
Old 05 April 2014, 11:39   #6
Simmo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Thanks for the help Simmo76!
Hey, no problem! It gave me something to do whilst waiting for a train!

Incidentally, as briefly mentioned in my previous post, I also searched on http://pouet.net, but came up empty as I could only seem to search by prod (the name of the demo), group (who released it) or party (that the demo was released at).
If you know/remember any of these details, I reckon you'd be in with a good shot at finding your demo.

Out of curiosity, I'll download the MP3s later and have a listen.

Cheers!

Last edited by Simmo76; 05 April 2014 at 19:28.
Old 05 April 2014, 12:13   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Whether or not this sample originated from Plug's "Mind Bending", I don't know, but at least it's a clue.
Unlikely. That song seems quite a modern one. The Speak-n-Spell circuit bending in the track became popular mainly in the 21st century.
Old 18 June 2019, 16:04   #8
Radertified

Almost 6 years since my initial request, so I think I'll bump this. Anyone have this demo?

EDIT: It might have had the word "Corruption" or "Suicide" in the name of the demo, or perhaps the mod file? And it might have been a 2 word title (Digital Suicide?). It seems familiar, but don't take this as gospel since I might be mixing things up with other demos.

EDIT 2: The "Fucking excellent acid house" sample seems to be from the song "Chemical Beats" by "The Chemical Brothers": [ Show youtube player ] (you'll hear it at around 1:24).

Last edited by Radertified; 18 June 2019 at 19:10.
Old 22 June 2019, 12:22   #9
meltdown

Hmmf, thought it might been something like the LSD demo as that's got a lot of text flashing up and lots of BW imagery etc, but it's long and i don't think those samples come up at all...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 June 2019, 18:13   #10
Radertified

Unfortunately it's not that. The one I'm talking about is pretty much unknown.
Old 15 August 2019, 04:42   #11
kurupt

The "Fucking excellent acid house" sample 4:24

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 April 2020, 07:42   #12
Radertified

The "Fucking excellent acid house" sample seems to be used everywhere in music... If only we could find the demo/intro/whatever!

The other thing I distinctly remember is the demo itself ended in .exe, which was unusual to me at the time becuase nothing else did. Not much to go off I know, but at least it's something It was on a disk with other stuff too... software? a game? It was definitely the only demo on that disk and was a single file.
Old 04 May 2020, 16:35   #13
Radertified

Hey look, I found it.

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=27990 - XTC Rave (Intro) by Spacecake

This is the disk it was on:

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=14815 - Head'n'Shoulders 1 (Packdisk) by Cyberaktif

Turns out it *didn't* end in .exe. Everything else on the disk did. This one was just called "2".

Hooray! The next time this happens and I ask here again, everyone point me to this thread and call me a dumbass.
Old 13 May 2020, 22:46   #14
curtcool

Good that we could be of help (says a member of the Janeway editing team ...