English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 19 August 2023, 14:58   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Grapevine diskmags, WHDLoad - No go!

I seem to be stuck with this problem where none of the whdload Grapevine diskmags will work. I am getting errors, yellow gurus etc. In some cases the machine will red guru!

The machine is:

A1200 Id4, recapped
CF IDE 4gb
Blizzard 1230mkiv 32mb
Kick 3.1

I have the most recent whdload build using my original reg key from back in 2014.

I have also tried some of the switch options like novbr, noautuovec, nommu etc nothing changes even with the global prefs.

I have also set the maxtransfer for the cf ide from 0x1fe00 to 0xfe00, again no chnage.

I attempted to install a grapevine from physical disk but I just cannot get past the errors with whdload so I am never able to install anything.

I can sit for hours with demos and games all working perfect from whdload, but no dice with these disk mags...

The errors range from "Please insert grapevine disk" with a full installed version I have snagged from somewhere, to yellow guru stating "Error: 0100 000F Task: 782D1660" and "Exception "Illegal Instruction" ($10) at $79F52038 (ExpMem $A0038) occured." on a workbench pop up.

Im stuck! anyone have an idea? is it me just missing something?
Old 19 August 2023, 15:03   #2
Snoopy1234

Does your Blizzard have an FPU installed? Some titles work either with or without one. The quoted error message might be FPU related.
Old 19 August 2023, 15:28   #3
ElectroBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
Does your Blizzard have an FPU installed? Some titles work either with or without one. The quoted error message might be FPU related.
Yes I had to look lol!

Got the machine on some cobbled together legs and the trapdoor is off, so yes confirmed it has an fpu.
Old 19 August 2023, 15:49   #4
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Yes I had to look lol!

Got the machine on some cobbled together legs and the trapdoor is off, so yes confirmed it has an fpu.
Some software doesn't run with one in so it might be a conflict. Another thing to look at with that error is Setpatch in the C: directory as used in the startup-sequence. The OS 3.1 setpatch was updated to remedy errors such as this.
Attached Files
File Type: rar SetPatch.rar (21.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 19 August 2023, 17:43   #5
ElectroBlaster

Managed to kill the internal CF's workbench!

It begins to boot and goes into a black screen with the disk drive clicking.
I quickly grabbed whatever was at hand, a workbench 2.05 disk and booted with that to verify the card is still there and it is! all the files are present.

Feel cursed at the moment lol.
Old 20 August 2023, 01:46   #6
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Managed to kill the internal CF's workbench!

It begins to boot and goes into a black screen with the disk drive clicking.
I quickly grabbed whatever was at hand, a workbench 2.05 disk and booted with that to verify the card is still there and it is! all the files are present.

Feel cursed at the moment lol.
Oh Dear! Sounds like bootup isn't progressing through the startup sequence enough to get to the Noclick call usually found in the User-Startup. Setpatch 44.44 is used by Cloanto in it's 3.x OS and by Amikit XE that I'm aware of. IIRC Setpatch 43.6x is also a good one to try. http://aminet.net/util/boot/SetPatch_43.6b.lha

Last edited by Snoopy1234; 20 August 2023 at 02:37.
Old 20 August 2023, 12:46   #7
Snoopy1234

Any luck restoring your system?
Old 20 August 2023, 18:43   #8
ElectroBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
Any luck restoring your system?
I have no idea what happened! I tried what you suggested and it was being stubborn. Nothing worked!

In the end I threw the towel in, archived the whole lot onto a bare cf pcmcia card to nose at it in winuae later.

I decided to Install a fresh Classicwb on winuae, with pretty much as close the same specs as the real 1200.

On the 1200's 4gb cf ide card, I created new partitions (I only ever had one partition for some reason?) and took the opportunity to try ps3aio instead of ffs, did all this on the 1200 rather than winuae, worked great and meant I didnt have to pull the machine apart again.

After that was all working I found an old CF pcmcia boot disk I made that allowed the card slot to show up and also chucked in diskmaster2. I copied the fresh classcwb install over, had a few niggles that were quickly sorted!

The 1200 is back to where it was, but with a different filesystem this time.

In a bit I will re-install whdload along with all the games and demos and see what happens. I also made sure the maxtransfer was set correctly.
Old 21 August 2023, 00:17   #9
Snoopy1234

Quote:
I have no idea what happened! I tried what you suggested and it was being stubborn. Nothing worked!

In the end I threw the towel in, archived the whole lot onto a bare cf pcmcia card to nose at it in winuae later.

I decided to Install a fresh Classicwb on winuae, with pretty much as close the same specs as the real 1200.

On the 1200's 4gb cf ide card, I created new partitions (I only ever had one partition for some reason?) and took the opportunity to try ps3aio instead of ffs, did all this on the 1200 rather than winuae, worked great and meant I didnt have to pull the machine apart again.

After that was all working I found an old CF pcmcia boot disk I made that allowed the card slot to show up and also chucked in diskmaster2. I copied the fresh classcwb install over, had a few niggles that were quickly sorted!

The 1200 is back to where it was, but with a different filesystem this time.

In a bit I will re-install whdload along with all the games and demos and see what happens. I also made sure the maxtransfer was set correctly.
Sounds like you know what you're doing so that's great. Another thing I can think of is Setpatch patches the scsi.device from the Devs: folder if present. A later revision of scsi.device than the standard 3.1 was updated for CF cards so that might be a useful thing for a stable system. You can see what setpatch has done at boot by typing Setpatch in shell on Workbench.

EDIT: Kickstart 3.1 roms have scsi.device 40.16; OS 3.9 has scsi.device 43.43 (CF compatible) in Devs: - and Kickstart 3.X (Cloanto) has scsi.device 43.46.

Last edited by Snoopy1234; 21 August 2023 at 10:53. Reason: extra info available