English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 26 September 2001, 14:00   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Amiga Index Of Magazines

Here's a website with magazine review scores:

http://home.hia.no/~jafrohol/magindex.html

All the Amiga Power info was typed in by me!
Old 26 September 2001, 14:39   #2
RetroMan

Hehehe, only thing I´m missing there, is the mag itself ! Scanned as PDF of course
Old 26 September 2001, 14:40   #3
Amigaboy

Very impressive site! I love it already!

Were the Amiga Format ones taken from the database at the AFB?

Old 26 September 2001, 15:29   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I think the AF reviews are from the database on the CDs with the magazine, if that's what you mean. If it's the same, it isn't particularly accurately done.
Old 26 September 2001, 15:47   #5
Tim Janssen

Great site

Very interesting site. It seems one hell of a job to complete such a site. More and more one gets a complete picture which Amiga games were reviewed in each year.

It also seems I have to contact some people at the site because I have some CU Amiga and Zero issues that are not mentioned in the list.
Old 26 September 2001, 18:13   #6
TikTok

Slightly off topic...

Does anyone else remember an UK Amiga magazine called Amiga Force? It appeared quite late in the Amiga's life, and I only ever saw a few issues. It had no coverdisks and was aimed fairly squarely at the younger market - they even had a section where reader's pictures (hand drawn) were published, which reminded me of old Speccy mags. I'm curious what happened to this; it seemed to be fairly unique amongst Amiga mags.
Old 26 September 2001, 18:22   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

TikTok-I do remember Amiga Force-barely. I never bought any of them, but I remember it as it was part of series of similar magazine's,namely Sega Force,etc. by the survivors of Newsfield's going bust,(the publishers of Zzap).
I think Phil King was possibly the editor??
They might have even done a Commodore force to replace Zzap as well??
But you are right, they didn't last very long, as it wasn't anywhere near the quality of Zzap,(I thought the like's of editor Stuart Wynne & Robin Hogg etc. were underrated compared to previous Zzap staffer's-not that I'm saying they weren't good either...)
Old 26 September 2001, 20:44   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have a handful of Amiga Force issues. Great Zzap-style covers, but the content on the inside was garish, sloppily written and layed-out, and seemed to be aiming at the console kiddies mentality.
Old 16 July 2003, 21:13   #9
kolorabi

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just noticed it.

First of all, the AIM site has moved. It's now at: http://home.c2i.net/jfroholt/AIM/

Secondly, we're in need of contributors. If you have a lot of old Amiga magazines, why don't you take a look at our missing issues-lists, and see if you've got anything we've not indexed yet? If you contribute, you'll be credited on the main site (please include your name/handle and, if you want, a link to your website).

We appreciate any contributions, no matter how many issues you manage to index.

Please send your contributions to me, at jfroholt@c2i.net. Mark them clearly so that I don't mistake them for spam, btw
Old 17 July 2003, 08:55   #10
Tim Janssen

Cool The MIA list will get a bit shorter... soon.

@Kolorabi,
I run a website aimed about Amiga magazines too: Amiga Reviews. Do you own most magazines indexed on your site?

For a very long time I am intending to contact your site because I own some magazines you're missing.
CU Amiga: November 1986, January 1987, March 1987, September 1989, October 1989, July 1990, July 1991
Zero magazine: June 1992 (Addams Family on the cover).

Within a couple of weeks you can expect a filled out template for the missing issues (when I am back from my holiday).
Old 17 July 2003, 13:52   #11
kolorabi

Re: The MIA list will get a bit shorter... soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
@Kolorabi,
I run a website aimed about Amiga magazines too: Amiga Reviews.
One word: Wow!

I added a link to your site earlier this year, but it seems to have grown a lot since then. Great site.
Quote:
Do you own most magazines indexed on your site?
No, unfortunately not. I own maybe a third of the issues of The One and CU Amiga that we've indexed so far. I also have a large collection of AF issues.
Quote:
Within a couple of weeks you can expect a filled out template for the missing issues (when I am back from my holiday). [/B]
Brilliant, I look forward to that. Thanks a lot
Old 17 July 2003, 14:45   #12
FromWithin
Music lord

Just looking at this and wanted to ask...does anyone have any copies of Amiga Force or Sega Force? And can they scan them?

The reason is that they were absolutely hilarious. From what I remember of Sega Force, on almost every review was a little hand-drawn picture of something relating to the game being reviewed. The thing was that they were all incredibly violent. I remember that even a review of Klax had a picture of a big Klax block falling off and hitting a guy in the teeth, spewing blood everywhere.
Old 17 July 2003, 15:54   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have an issue or two of Amiga Force. If it's light this weekend at work, I'll scan what I can for you.
Old 19 July 2003, 01:19   #14
ant512

I know the Amiga Force questions are a little old, but here's some more info:

Amiga Force was published by the same firm that published N-Force (Nintendo), Sega Force and Commodore Force. This was indeed the same company that published Zzapp! 64 and Crash. The company began life as "Newsfield", went bust, got bought by Europress (who owned the rights to AMOS Pro), who became Europress Impact, who went bust and eventually became someone else. The mags were all based in Ludlow. The cartoons were drawn by Oliver Frey, who drew cartoons for every Newsfield mag from Zzapp and Crash onwards. He's also contributed artwork (possibly unwittingly) to a few Helen Love 7" singles.

Some of the staffers from the old Newsfield publications now work on "Games TM" - this features everyone from Crash's Nick "DJ Nicko" Roberts and Lloyd Mangram, to Oli Frey himself. If you have a look at the "Retro" section, towards the back of the mag, you'll spot some original Oli Frey artwork.
Old 19 July 2003, 03:17   #15
FromWithin
Music lord

What/Where is "Games TM"? And Lloyd Mangram is a fictional character (as was Paul Sumner in Zzap!64).

I've always wondered where Oli Frey went.
Old 19 July 2003, 09:21   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Games™ is a UK multi-format games magazine which started some months ago. The best thing about it is a dedicated 20 page retro section.
Old 19 July 2003, 12:22   #17
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
And Lloyd Mangram is a fictional character (as was Paul Sumner in Zzap!64).
Yep - "Mangram" is an anagram of "anagram", but with an "a" swapped with an "m". It illustrates the revival of an old Crash joke, though.