English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 11 May 2012, 10:20   #61
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
The disk was burned on a cheap CD-R and no longer readable. The seller had gotten it directly from Paul Nolan and knew him and tried to get a good copy from him. I finally got in touch with Paul Nolan myself and he wouldn't give me a good copy. All he would do is give me a discount for the PC version of Photogenics. He doesn't seem that interested in the Amiga community these days.
I knew Paul Nolan from the US Amiga shows. He was a cool guy. Not a typical geek. I'm pretty surprised he wouldnt give you the Ami version. Whats funny is even back when he was vending at shows he used to burn his own cds, slap a label on em and sell them right there on the spot! Kind of crazy, but apprently got burned really really bad on earlier versions of Photogenics from the distribution company (almathera? i forget) they sold thousands of licenses and he saw very little money apparently. Which is why he resorted to self-distribution (right off his laptop lol). I hope he doesnt mind me talking about this, though its commoon knowledge in some amiga cirlces.

I do wonder if there was a bounty for Photogenics 5 sources if he would go for it. Would be a killer app on OS4 if it was worked on...
Old 11 May 2012, 13:35   #62
mbrantley

Got this installed on my Sam440 with AmigaOS 4.1u2 last night. Also needed to install OpenURL so the HTML help documents could be called up within the program. I've read about some stability problems under AOS4 with this program, but in my first, short session getting to know Photogenics it seemed to run well. I need to explore more to really know. I am really glad of the included help documentation.

magnetic, I'd contribute some money toward getting the sources to the Amiga version opened up if Mr. Nolan would go for that. At the very least, it'd be nice to have some blessing to distribute the existing Amiga version if it has no commercial value.

Old 12 May 2012, 05:03   #63
magnetic
Banned

Just as a note Photogenics 5 has been fully functional on Morphos since even 1.3 days!
Old 02 September 2013, 02:27   #64
Goldrunner

I remember reading a review of this and purchasing v2.0 back in the nineties, it was very powerful even at that verson. I would love to see the almost mythical version 5, is there any chance of it being put back in the zone?
Old 02 September 2013, 16:25   #65
emufan

uploaded into the zone. but not tested myself
Old 02 September 2013, 20:02   #66
Goldrunner

Nice one, thank you very much

Testing, Testing, Testing...

It worked but Photogenics wanted to Assign something when first run. Fixed it by following Thorrham's solution a few posts ago. so many thanks to him also.
Old 02 September 2013, 20:59   #67
emufan

np. i now tested myself. just added the folder "OpenURL/L" and "OpenURL/Libs" and assign problem is gone - as Thorham wrote above.

but i cannot find the update to version "5.121" - version requester says 5.0.
may anyone upload the latest version or the update?

Edit: i found the "Update121.lha" with the help of archive.org. its zoned.

Last edited by emufan; 02 September 2013 at 21:20.
Old 02 September 2013, 21:40   #68
Goldrunner

Great stuff

I don't know if it was in before doing the 5.12 update but Photogenics now displays a Windows style Tip of the Day on start-up. Don't know if I like it or not since seeing it instantly makes you think of windows, it even looks likes the windows version. Anyway, you can turn it off so it's not really an issue!

Many thanks again for putting this great program and update in the zone!
Old 02 September 2013, 21:45   #69
emufan

np. yep, "Tip Of the Day" is a new addition, kinda window'ish
happy painting
Old 25 February 2015, 19:24   #70
akis

Any chance for reupload into the zone?

Old 26 February 2015, 21:40   #71
prowler
Global Moderator

I'll upload it for you if I can find my copy on one of my old hard disks, provided someone else doesn't upload it first.
Old 27 February 2015, 02:01   #72
akis

Thank you for your reply. Let's hope you still have it

Old 27 February 2015, 21:36   #73
prowler
Global Moderator

Okay, it's in The Zone.

This is the complete updated and fixed archive originally uploaded by Thorham mentioned in his post here.
Old 28 February 2015, 02:38   #74
akis

Thank you very very much. I ve been trying to find this or FX for ages.Thanks a lot

Old 07 June 2018, 14:17   #75
TroyWilkins

I had no idea Photogenics had progressed beyond version 2. Is it still possible for someone to put version 5 up on the zone please?
Old 14 June 2018, 21:37   #76
PerspexSphinx

I have V5 running, but not the install (which I think I got off the EAB ftp), I suppose I could simply zip the folder it is in. Would that be of any help?
What I am searching for is a Photogenics V5 manual in English and even the one for the windows version may help.
Certainly an extraordinary paint program for it’s time.
Old 14 June 2018, 22:58   #77
Matt_H

There was never a formal manual for Photogenics 5, just some HTML documentation.

Photogenics 4, aka Photogenics "NG" (I think version 3 was skipped because the new version was considered so drastically different) was released directly by Paul Nolan on CD-R in a *very* rough state, the only documentation being a single readme file. He issued regular updates which gradually improved the stability and documentation. The updates eventually brought the package to 5.0. I'm not sure if there were any subsequent updates to version 5 or if 5.0 was the end of the line.

The last updates I am aware of (there are two of them) are on the final Amiga Format cover CD. I think there are a few tutorials on the disc as well.

The updates use a fancy executable-based decoding (decryption?) system rather than simply copying new files over the old ones. As such, I've found the update system susceptible to crashing/failure. I'm unable to go from the CD-R version directly up to the last update from the Amiga Format CD, but the intermediate update works, and from that I can get to the last version. Under OS4 and MorphOS, I needed additional intermediate versions to get everything up-to-date, which I think I found in the Wayback machine.
Old 15 June 2018, 14:11   #78
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspexSphinx View Post
I have V5 running, but not the install (which I think I got off the EAB ftp), I suppose I could simply zip the folder it is in. Would that be of any help?
What I am searching for is a Photogenics V5 manual in English and even the one for the windows version may help.
Certainly an extraordinary paint program for it’s time.
That would be worth a try, I figure the worst that can happen would be that it doesn't work, and good old SnoopDOS could help us know why.

So if it's not too much trouble for you, I'd really appreciate it, thank you.
Old 01 November 2023, 20:00   #79
macce2
Retro maniac

Anyone there with the original Photogenics v.5 ..!?
Old 02 November 2023, 08:22   #80
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No idea if they are original, but there are some v5 files archived from the zone: https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch...0&httplinks=on