English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 March 2018, 16:01   #1
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Question Arcade joystick for UAE/FS-UAE

Hi there,

I am looking for a joystick that will be usable with UAE & FS-UAE. I don't plan to use it on a real Amiga, so I would focus on an USB one.
If I am correct, also, UAE & FS-UAE allow joystick mapping (many buttons) so it should be doable.

Maybe because I have been "breast-feeded" with "Competition Pro" & "Arcade machine" joystick, I do not like Gamepads so much, even if I play consoles games.

I have seen several "arcade joystick" models on the net. But I don't know if they are (easily) supported by UAE & FS-UAE. As example, something like this one but not particularly this one (I don't like this blue ball on the top of the joystick ).
Furthermore, as I am an happy dad, I need something that can be handled without too much care (ah là là... in my time, we were more respectful of material ) .

Does anybody have recommendation to share with me in order to direct my researches ?
Which brand / model ? how many buttons ?
Thanks for any advices.
Old 01 March 2018, 16:27   #2
Amiga1992

I would go for a renowned controller brand, like Hori, who have been making arcade-type controllers for a long while.
The Fighting Stick Mini 4 is their cheapest offering and might be good for your needs:
http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/31/shor...playstation-4/
Maybe it is a bit tiny for you, you'd have to try. But it'd be perfect for your wee one

WinUAE will work with any standard HID USB controller so this should work just fine.
Old 01 March 2018, 23:23   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I would go for a renowned controller brand, like Hori, who have been making arcade-type controllers for a long while.
The Fighting Stick Mini 4 is their cheapest offering and might be good for your needs:
http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/31/shor...playstation-4/
Maybe it is a bit tiny for you, you'd have to try. But it'd be perfect for your wee one
Thank you Akira .
I have read the description and it looks good. Furthermore for $50.- it's really not expensive for an arcade joystick.
I like the price and my "wee" will like the material .
Will have a look at local dealers to find one.

Do you use it yourself ?

Quote:
WinUAE will work with any standard HID USB controller so this should work just fine.
Extra! So if I can't find this the "Fighting Stick Mini 4" I may choose another HIB USB one. This is an excellent news. Thanks again Akira
Old 02 March 2018, 03:08   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Do you use it yourself ?
Nope, but I've had it in my wishlist for a long time. i am pretty sure I'd like it, but currently I am in a "ban of clicky controllers". This controller is clicky. Make sure you're fine with that noise before you commit.
It\s not SUPER clicky like a Competition Pro, but clicky like other arcade controllers.

Quote:
Extra! So if I can't find this the "Fighting Stick Mini 4" I may choose another HIB USB one.
I think any controller you can find will probably work with WinUAE, as long as it's USB HID standard.
Old 02 March 2018, 04:14   #5
ransom1122

I have the PLAYSTATION 3 PS3 HORI TEKKEN 6 WIRELESS… Its wireless & fantastic..

I also have an old wired Dreamcast Arcade stick.. But that requires a DC TO USB converter.
Old 02 March 2018, 09:34   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Nope, but I've had it in my wishlist for a long time. i am pretty sure I'd like it, but currently I am in a "ban of clicky controllers". This controller is clicky. Make sure you're fine with that noise before you commit.
It\s not SUPER clicky like a Competition Pro, but clicky like other arcade controllers.
thanks for the precision .
For parents, "clicky" joysticks are a dream :
- You can listen to your "wee(s)" when they play when it's not the time to play (hé hé hé ).
- Or you can become crazy of the noise .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I have the PLAYSTATION 3 PS3 HORI TEKKEN 6 WIRELESS… Its wireless & fantastic..
I have seen it on the net. The drawing on it is great and it seems to be a professional quality material but... for three/four times the price of the MINI 4.
Maybe as a future buy .
Old 08 March 2018, 21:38   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Today I have received a packet... in fact no, not a packet but two packets ! Dual play is better
It's a shame I don't have the time to test them right now...
Will let you know next week if they are working fine Akira

PS: I took the screenshot from the net. Too lazy to plug the camera to the computer today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HoriMini4.png
Views:	184
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	57184  
Old 08 March 2018, 21:55   #8
Amiga1992

Nice one!!! looking forward to your report.
Old 09 March 2018, 11:18   #9
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Ok, gave a really quick try during a small break.

Win7 installation is really straightforward : Plug & Wait .

Then the joystick is available in the "control panel". Stick and buttons can be tested easily (tested with switch on position 4) : Up, Down, Left, Right, square (btn 1), cross (btn 2), circle (btn 3), triangle (btn 4)*, L1 (btn 5)*, R1 (btn 6)*, L2 (btn 7)*, R2 (btn 8)*, share (btn 9)*, option (btn 10)*, playstation (btn 13)*

Then the joystick is available under WinUAE.

And we can enjoy !!!

- clicking sound : as i tested it daytime, I didn't found it disturbing (as far as I remember, usual clicking sound as old Amiga competition pro joysticks )

- size of the joystick : joystick is small but not disturbing at all for my hands size.

Something I forgot to mention : By using this stick (with no auto-fire set when playing shoot'em up) it will be reminded to you will that there are small muscle on your forearm and they will quickly tell you they are here

Will do further tests & with FS-UAE too. But this is really for next week at best

* not available under WinUAE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HoriTest01.png
Views:	205
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	57187  
Old 09 March 2018, 18:59   #10
Amiga1992

I'm glad you're liking it! It should be a fine entry-level arcade stick.
Old 09 March 2018, 19:14   #11
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

You provided me a good advice Akira .
Accept the big Thank you of a naughty little imp
Old 09 March 2018, 19:34   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Accept the big Thank you of a naughty little imp
I hope you know that was a joke!
Old 09 March 2018, 19:52   #13