English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 December 2010, 11:07   #21
kamelito
Zone Friend

They had a demo of SOS (game never released)
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...82cUA9XE&gl=FR
Old 21 December 2010, 20:44   #22
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
They had a demo of SOS (game never released)
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...82cUA9XE&gl=FR
That link didn't work for me, so here: [ Show youtube player ]

As a side note, that demo has since been cracked and recoded and is now a playable demo on the IIGS.
Old 21 December 2010, 22:57   #23
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Is it just the youtube video or was the scrolling and framerate really that horrible on all IIgs games?

Out of this world looks like it is dropping too many frames to be playable. Thexder looks like it is on frameskip 5. Arkanoid looks impossible to play, the ball just seems to teleport across the screen. I always thought the IIgs a capable machine but that video was not impressive at all.
I concur.

Also, the games with the exception of Another World, aren't really impressive, they look like a much older class of games than the 1988-1992 heyday of the A500. And Another World doesn't really push the hardware with its static backgrounds with 10fps animations on top.

I was impressed with the IIGS sound quality, though I'd like to hear it perform something like the Turrican II soundtrack.

Also, the 68000 was a slow hog, the Amiga chipset was there to alleviate that a bit. The '16-bit 6510' was no bad performer at all, even at lower MHz. I would have liked to see it in more computers and consoles.

And of course no chance for decent 3D games like Resolution 101, F/A-18, etc. Not even with a tiny screen, like some of the 2D games you show there.

So 'the best versions of games that look 1985'? Sure. The hardware for the IIGS was 'good enough' in that it did have 'enough colors for games not to look strange' and a better soundchip than Atari ST, that's for sure. Like a PC Engine, with a faster CPU to compensate for a capable chipset.

The A500 has limits that are still possible to overcome with a clever idea to make something extra nice, but the IIGS really has limits that set the top level, as you've shown.

I think someone can dig up a YT vid of 300 best Amiga games and still all of them would be awesomer, lovelier, faster and more playable than those 15.

Harsh words for you to hear maybe, but I think it's the truth.
Old 21 December 2010, 23:33   #24
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I concur.
Did you not read my reply? The frame skipping is from the screen recording tool, my lord people. READ! Also, if you cared to read my very first post, you'd see I'm comparing games that were available for both Amiga and IIGS. Turrican II was not on the IIGS (I agree, the IIGS could never play something like that). But back to the topic of this thread...I've yet to hear someone give me the name of an Amiga version of a game that has better graphics and/or sound than the IIGS version.

Last edited by Castelian; 21 December 2010 at 23:41.
Old 21 December 2010, 23:39   #25
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

You are the one making statements, prove it.

You have yet to show us any games that are better on the IIGS than their amiga versions that arent sloppy ST ports. Arkanoid I dont see the better gfx, Another world has a tiny letterboxed screen and is therefore inferior. Qix, well such a simple game does it really have mindblowing graphics?

You are the IIGS expert, how are we supposed to know what is on both machines? Back up your claims with some facts or go troll somewhere else. The video you posted is dissapointing because the games it displays are nowhere near the full graphics capabilities of the amiga and yet you claim the IIGS has better gfx...
Old 21 December 2010, 23:43   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castelian View Post
By the way, I've yet to hear someone give me the name of an Amiga version of a game that has better graphics and/or sound than the IIGS.
Why? Don't see a big difference (excluding the frame drops) tbh. Do you need to prove a point? I think it's fair you posted a video about your favourite machine, but please refrain from flame baiting.
Old 21 December 2010, 23:54   #27
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
You are the one making statements, prove it.

You have yet to show us any games that are better on the IIGS than their amiga versions that arent sloppy ST ports. Arkanoid I dont see the better gfx, Another world has a tiny letterboxed screen and is therefore inferior. Qix, well such a simple game does it really have mindblowing graphics?

You are the IIGS expert, how are we supposed to know what is on both machines? Back up your claims with some facts or go troll somewhere else. The video you posted is dissapointing because the games it displays are nowhere near the full graphics capabilities of the amiga and yet you claim the IIGS has better gfx...
Here's a screenshot of Arkanoid II for both machines. The IIGS looks better defined, crisper, and brighter imho

IIGS Version:

Amiga Version:

Last edited by Castelian; 22 December 2010 at 00:10.
Old 21 December 2010, 23:58   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I think the Amiga version looks better. More details in the blue background pattern, better looking Revenge of DOH logo. The Amiga screenshot also looks filtered.
Old 22 December 2010, 00:00   #29
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

erm, no I dont see it, they are a little different, but I cant clearly say one is better than the other. Look at the red ball sprites for example, which ones look clearer and more defined to you?
Old 22 December 2010, 00:03   #30
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The Amiga screenshot also looks filtered.
It is. Non filtered version :

I'd also say the IIGS version looks 'brighter', because it simply lacks a grey 'level' in the border.
Old 22 December 2010, 00:06   #31
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Wow, now there is a difference. Looks like the IIGS version is missing colours and has less detail.

Amiga wins!

Next example please.
Old 22 December 2010, 00:07   #32
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It is. Non filtered version :

I'd also say the IIGS version looks 'brighter', because it simply lacks a grey 'level' in the border.
To me, the background, and shading look a little washed out. The Imagine logo is just a mess. The Arkanoid Logo is cooler on the Amiga though.
Old 22 December 2010, 00:12   #33
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castelian View Post
equal, every other game I've seen such as Arkanoid, the IIGS came out ahead.
I'm sorry but I don't see where the IIGS version can be better from what is considered to be an arcade perfect conversion of the original. The same maybe, but better in what? And please don't tell me: SOUND. There is not much to improve on that either from the arcade.

EDIT: Bloody hell, so much new posts when I was typing. LOL!
Old 22 December 2010, 00:15   #34
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
I'm sorry but I don't see where the IIGS version can be better from what is considered to be an arcade perfect conversion of the original. The same maybe, but better in what? And please don't tell me: SOUND. There is not much to improve on that either from the arcade.

EDIT: Bloody hell, so much new posts when I was typing. LOL!
My GF walked by and I asked her which looks better and she said they look the same. What a great help she is! Women...
Old 22 December 2010, 00:32   #35
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Background washed out on the Amiga version? You can clearly see the difference between the dark and lighter blues on the amiga background, if anything the IIGS version looks washed out because the blues are too similar. I like the grey rectangles more on the IIGS version but thats about it.
Old 22 December 2010, 00:36   #36
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
I played an Apple 2gs emu recently
I'd be happy to see and judge the differences by myself (when I have a bit more time than right now).

Any chance that someone () can gather all the resources or at least links to resources needed for a quick and easy emulation experience (supposing it is all "legal")?
Old 22 December 2010, 01:21   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Any chance that someone () can gather all the resources or at least links to resources needed for a quick and easy emulation experience (supposing it is all "legal")?
Try this site (scroll to bottom of page):
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/
Old 22 December 2010, 01:29   #38
s2325
Zone Friend

I'm curious about music and sounds in Sword of Sodan http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.z...-of-sodan-demo and this pretty exclusive http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/task-force-demo
Old 22 December 2010, 01:30   #39
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
I'd be happy to see and judge the differences by myself (when I have a bit more time than right now).

Sure, ActiveGS is my favorite. Here you go:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/ RlRyMWZJQTZ5UkZFQlE9PQ

All the games should run fine at default speed (2.5) except for Out of this world, which plays at Zip I think.
Old 22 December 2010, 03:02   #40
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Thx prowler and Castelian.