English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 08 November 2022, 03:54   #1
IvanEBC

More .. Identify this

This is a curious item from my Amiga box.

It looks like an external floppy drive, but it is double height, internally it has one full connector and a second one is a "half" connector.

My thoughts headed towards some double layered floppy drive, like a special housing that holds DF1 and DF2 in the same case.

http://www.users.on.net/~ivanw/Drive1.JPG
http://www.users.on.net/~ivanw/Drive2.JPG

Sorry about all more requests, but had time off work and time to clean up haha.

Have fun...
Old 08 November 2022, 23:09   #2
thebajaguy

It has a DB25 external connector. I'd think it's something other than an Amiga external floppy. Most Amiga external floppy units also have a built-in cable to connect to the Amiga.
Old 09 November 2022, 00:37   #3
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebajaguy View Post
It has a DB25 external connector. I'd think it's something other than an Amiga external floppy. Most Amiga external floppy units also have a built-in cable to connect to the Amiga.

Looks quite home made.... so yeah the built in cable has been replaced with a female header to provide you own cable i guess?
Old 09 November 2022, 03:03   #4
thebajaguy

One way or another, the Amiga has a DB23 connector, so whatever they did would have to match up. Get it wrong, and you risk a fried 8520.

The other lower connector is 17 straight pins. It's possible it just connects to the one row of active pins on a floppy drive. The other missing row is just grounds.

You would have to take an Amiga 2000's internal floppy header (on the schematic) and prove it is straight through for all data lines to that headers inside and to the DB25. The SEL lines will be different to allow daisy chaining, and some circuit flow would go through some of the logic parts to (assuming things here) provide ID logic as all externals need the ID logic for the Amiga to active them without a manual mountlist.

I'd say it's a risk until you build a complete schematic from known connections and continuity tracing.