English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 March 2011, 11:04   #1
hallatie
Banned

Best Handheld for Retro Gaming

Was looking to buy a handheld for rtero gaming.

I already have a DS and that emulates the C64, Megadrive, Spectrum, Amstrad, NES and SNES pretty well - so I am in two minds if it is actually worth splashing out the cash on another handheld.

I think it would be to emulate the Amiga and MAME - and must be some others out there to emulate that I cant think of!

Question is, which one?

Does anyone here own The Pandora or GP2x? Do I get a GP2x or put my name down for the next shipping of The Pandora??

Or is there another handeld or mobile phone that can emulate pretty good?
Old 14 March 2011, 11:49   #2
IFW

Anything with Tegra 2 or similar performance should be capable of what you want - ie most upcoming or just released tabs and smartphones.
Old 14 March 2011, 11:54   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

AFAIK there is no current handheld platform of any worth.

The GP2X Canoo (~£90 new) is quite underpowered considering it is the most modern of all the opened systems. You'll struggle to get good N64 or PSOne emulation on this platform.

The DS and the PSP (~£60 2nd hand) are both showing their age in terms of horse power. The DS is a joke for CPU hungry emulators and the PSP's 330MHz MIPs CPU also struggles with anything over 16-bit.

A Tegra2 based phone or tablet PC running Linux or Android might be an alternative. Something like an Advent Vega (£250)?
Old 14 March 2011, 14:48   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

A tablet PC is useless for retro gaming due to lack of any gaming controls so if you want a retro gaming handheld a tablet is worthless. If you consider balancing a tablet on your lap while using a wireless controller a handheld then take alexh's advice. If you want something that can emulate up to N64 and PSX then you want a pandora. Or you could buy an IcontrolPad that clamps to your apple or android phone and get your retro gaming on that way.

http://www.openpandora.org/
http://www.icontrolpad.com/
Old 14 March 2011, 15:08   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
A tablet PC is useless for retro gaming due to lack of any gaming controls
Touch screen controls work fine here and so do bluetooth controllers (i.e. Wiimotes).

Quote:
If you consider balancing a tablet on your lap while using a wireless controller a handheld then take alexh's advice.

Quote:
If you want something that can emulate up to N64 and PSX then you want a pandora.
I heard that Pandora's have had production and quality control issues. A true enthusiast would want one

I'm gonna check out the iControlPad and see if it would fit my ZTE Blade. The onscreen controls are good for emulators which have 4:3 screens but for native games you don't want your thumbs over the action if you can help it.

http://www.game-gripper.com/

Last edited by alexh; 14 March 2011 at 15:17.
Old 14 March 2011, 15:32   #6
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Touchscreen retro gaming just doesn't work period for me, you cant see the full screen unless the resolution is reduced and then it looks pretty bad also lack of tactile response just makes things impossible for me due to missing the button and not always knowing which direction I am pointing in. For a calm slow game I could get away with it, but then bring on something that requires quick reflexes and it just fails. Seems I am not the only one who feels this way as people are finding solutions like elastic bands over a wiimote or manufacturing actual controls.

Both my pandoras are free from any defects, they have had production issues but come with a full warranty.

The name of the thread is best handheld for retro gaming, the pandora is that without a doubt at the moment until something better comes along.
Old 14 March 2011, 16:11   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
£310 + Shipping... ouch.
Old 14 March 2011, 16:46   #8
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallatie View Post
Does anyone here own The Pandora or GP2x? Do I get a GP2x or put my name down for the next shipping of The Pandora??
I have the Canoo,Wiz and Dingoo.The number of emulated Mame roms is limited.The Amiga is emulated without hard disk emulation and is a bit slow and bugs.PSX emulation is shit really.Besides the scene is very stopped lately.Sorry to tell you but it's true.
Old 14 March 2011, 16:53   #9
Dreedo

PSP is the cheapest option, does Amiga at a decent speed PSPUAE is still being updated, and it can run the majority of games i throw at it.

It has near perfect NES/SNES emulation. The NES/SNES emulators also have basic WLAN 2 player modes, which tend to go out of sync sometimes. It can also emulate PS1's 100% perfectly, a 2 player WLAN mode for PS1 games was also available but its more buggy than the SNES ones. It can emulate N64 sluggishly, Super Mario 64 runs at 80-100% of full speed, 80% in busy areas. Most other games around 60-75%. Although the N64 emulator for it is updated every few days, and is getting better all the time.

Basically anything less powerful than an N64 should run fairly well on it.

Ideally you want a PSP-2000, as they're easy to put CFW on and have the most RAM. (equal to the 3000, but easier to put CFW on) Although with recent PSP/PS3 hacks, it may be just as easy to hack the PSP-3000.

Although if money is a big issue, a 1000 will be cheaper, and even easier to put CFW on. It only has 32mb of RAM compared to the 2000/3000 64MB, but few homebrew programs take advantage of the extra RAM. It mainly means games will load ever so slightly faster on 2000/3000's.

Used PSP should cost around £50.
Old 14 March 2011, 16:59   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yeah, PSP has very reasonable PSOne emulation capability thanks to the Sony written emulator. I think you have to jump through hoops to get it to work on the very latest firmware.

Daedalusx64 (N64 emulator) isn't great. (I dont see the frequency of updates noted by Dreedo, last update was 26th Feb)
PSPMame isn't great.

Last edited by alexh; 14 March 2011 at 17:08.
Old 14 March 2011, 17:17   #11
Dreedo

The Betas aren't updated, only 3 since its initial release in 2007 or so, but its open souirce, so it usually gets updated every 3 or 4 days.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/daedalusx64/develop

Has been a while actually, 9 days since last update.
Old 14 March 2011, 17:24   #12
pubzombie

Hey all
I have a GP2x and I am waiting for my Pandora.
I suppose its all down to expectations - what do you want out of hendheld emu gaming?
I got a GP2x expecting to be able to play loads of amiga and c64 games anywhere. It took a fair bit of hard work, as I had no experience of emu's I just played lots on the old systems back in the day.
First i needed to learn how to use all the emulators. but for actual gaming the most difficult problem is virtual keyboard and power supply - my experience was that the amiga and c64 games I wanted to play needed to use several keyboard keys and joystick+shoulder buttons etc. Also its took me ages to get all my old amiga and c64 titles working, and a mobile gp2x eats good quality recharble batteries for breakfast...
But saying this I love the GP2x - It is much better for emulated games than any of the modern mobile and touchscreen stuff i own. I use it for mame and amiga and atari ST emu. It eats batterys and is best in its mains caddy playing mame games on tv out; or playing mobile ST games!!!!!!!!
i have never really tried to get PS 1 games running but have got dosbox going fine.
I cant speak for the pandora yet as mine hasnt got here - i dont expect it to be hassle free. If you want 'full' handheld emu capability across a number of systems and loads [1000's????] of old games, you have to accept that things arnt simple and may be pricey.
so in short - I dont like retro gaming on modern touch screens.
Love the gp2x - for what it is, not what it is not - its travelled the world with me
And reckon i am gonna love the panny
have fun
pz
Old 14 March 2011, 18:48   #13
lolafg

I had all this little consoles but if you want something small wich emulate really well a lot of systems look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56973

It cost me only 150 euros.
Old 15 March 2011, 10:43   #14
IFW

Or get a PS Zeus it has proper gaming controls, Anrdoid, plus you can sign up for PlayStation Suite development as well, ie published through SCE.
Old 15 March 2011, 11:11   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW View Post
Or get a PS Zeus it has proper gaming controls
Now known as the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play... damn they are even more expensive at £499 PAYG

It has the "relatively poor" performing Adreno 205 GPU and not the latest (or even previous gen) PowerVR.

Last edited by alexh; 15 March 2011 at 11:17.
Old 15 March 2011, 11:20   #16
IFW

Yes, although as with all smartphones I'd expect new models with higher specs appearing quickly - and would probably be dirt cheap if not free on a 18 months contract after the initial sales slow down
Old 23 April 2011, 12:51   #17
s2325
Zone Friend

I noticed today few Amiga ports for Pandora: Tecnoball Z, Rick Dangerous, Super Methane Bros, Sqrxz 1 & 2, Tower Toppler (Nebulus)
Old 03 December 2014, 15:52   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

Old 03 December 2014, 16:42   #19
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

What happened to the rest of the keys?
Old 03 December 2014, 16:44   #20
s2325
Zone Friend

That may be a problem on hiscore or password screen.