English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 28 September 2002, 21:18   #1
Ollibolli

Question Norton Commander Clone for Amiga?

hi everyone,
i'm searching for a program similar to the old norton commander on pc. would be very nice to have an all in one solution including adf & dms diskzipper usage - maybe a gfx-viewer too...
is there any program like this out there? which one would you prefer?

Old 28 September 2002, 21:23   #2
cv643d

There is a pixel like clone of NortonCommander for DOS on the amiga, its my favourite file commander since I have worked a lot with NC in dos. Its called NTP I think. Maybe its on aminet.
Old 28 September 2002, 21:41   #3
RetroMan

Search for DiskMaster 2 on Aminet, it´s very similar to Norton Com.
Old 28 September 2002, 22:00   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Doesn't Amiga Directory Opus do all the same stuff? You can set it up to handle ADFs, DMSs etc.
Old 28 September 2002, 22:22   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Directory Opus is far superior, an app half as useful for the PC would make my life soooo much easier
Old 28 September 2002, 23:21   #6
oldpx

Directory Opus 4.11 is the best file manager I've used on any platform yet.

Old 28 September 2002, 23:51   #7
Fissuras
Old Luny

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
Directory Opus is far superior, an app half as useful for the PC would make my life soooo much easier
There is nothing like Windows Commander
Oh, Am I a WC fan or what?
Old 28 September 2002, 23:57   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

I agree with Burseg, there is nothing that cannot be accomplished with opus (file manipulation wise!!)..

Fiss you really need to have a proper play with Dopus, it is so powerful, It's a pity there is no PC equivilant of Opus4.12
Old 29 September 2002, 00:03   #9
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
It's a pity there is no PC equivilant of Opus4.12
The pity is that there is no Amiga equivalent of Windows Commander

Old 29 September 2002, 00:17   #10
Drake1009

Too bad Dopus isn't a good choice for people with non-upgraded A1200 units. It sucks a lot of resources.
Old 29 September 2002, 00:30   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I've been reading all of this hoopla over Windows Commander and tried it out. It looks interesting, but thus far is a long ways from being as powerful as Directory Opus. After all the build-up, I was expecting some brilliant, elegant end-all to file managers. Boy was I disappointed...
Old 29 September 2002, 03:29   #12
Fissuras
Old Luny

Check my other post. I still think there isn't much Opus can do that WC cannot
Old 29 September 2002, 05:29   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Off the top of my head, Opus can launch programs using command line switches, WB icons, etc...pretty much any way an executable can be launched. While I've not gone over WC with a microscope, I doubt seriously it can do this - especially considering how poorly DOS/Windows programs interchange in the first place. Can WC accept a DOS command line and launch said app without popping up a clunky DOS window? If so, can it handle any switches or command line options? Can it do so synchronously and/or asynchronously? Can it support selecting a file to process via a command line or icon-based variable? (in other words, can I select a file and use that selection to launch opening it in whatever app I select via passing the file to [] like in Opus' settings?) Can you create multi-colored buttons, drop-down menus or keyboard shortcuts loaded with whatever you choose? Do you have control over which drives/devices are displayed? Can you add assigned dirs as shortcuts to said dir? Does it have internal support for sound and mod files?

I'm not being a wise-ass, because I don't know the answers to the above questions? I've been at work for about two days now (only been home long enough for a quick nap and then back to work); I installed it while having a cup of coffee and had to return to work, so I really had no time to look it over. And that's just some Opus things off the top of my head. With Opus, it puts the interface and configuration in the user's hands and it doesn't look like WC gives the end user that kind of control. But correct me if I'm wrong here...
Old 29 September 2002, 06:39   #14
Amiga1992

Opus is a bit of a hog processor/memory wise so I preffer the extremely small and versatile DirWorks
Old 29 September 2002, 09:46   #15
Fissuras
Old Luny

OK, lets see, most what you said can be done with WC. If you look at my pictures you'll see a command line at the botton, so that you can launch any program with command line switches. And if the program is not an MSDOS program, no DOS box is opened.

Lets see the other questions:

"Can it do so synchronously and/or asynchronously?"
--> Didn't understand what you mean.
"Can you create multi-colored buttons, drop-down menus or keyboard shortcuts loaded with whatever you choose?"
--> YES!!
"Does it have internal support for sound and mod files?"
--> YES, WC has a file viewer that can display windows sounds (Wav), movies (avi, divx), some image formats (but i prefer setting ACDSEE to do so - when I click an image the program launches ACDSEE). And it supports basic HTML too... and some more.
"Do you have control over which drives/devices are displayed? "
-- > I don't know... I don't think so
"Can it support selecting a file to process via a command line or icon-based variable? (in other words, can I select a file and use that selection to launch opening it in whatever app I select via passing the file to [] like in Opus' settings?)"
--> Sort of... I use the command line
"Can you add assigned dirs as shortcuts to said dir? "
--> Shortcuts? Probably not

If you have the time go to the WC help index... some features are readly availabe there, like local menus, command line, and others.
I am pasting some:

Local menus

Windows Commander offers local menus (context menus) for several interface elements. All these menus can be opened through a right mouse click:
- In the file windows you can reach the local menus also by pressing SHIFT+F10. If the right mouse button is used to select files you can reach the right click menu by holding down the button a bit longer (about 1 second).
New in Windows 95/98/NT: With the commands Copy and Cut the selected files can be copied/moved through the clipboard. You can simply choose paste in the context menu of the target path.
The FTP client also has a local menu, which allows to add specific files to a list for later download.
- The button bar also contains a local menu to edit or delete single buttons.
- In Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 4.0 you can get a local menu for the current path and directory by right clicking on the path name and the drive list/drive button, respectively. The F8 button has a local menu for Recycle bin.

You have local menus in the drive boxes also... I've checked you can have more popup menus... you can select many files and launch an app with local menus...

You see, WC is a Good and powerfull tool, even more if you tweak it to suit your needs. One of the best win apps I've ever used. It can do almost what any other can, and it has many features of its own (huge archiving capabilities, FTP, FTP dpwnload manager, backgroud activities...). And it can integrate other apps (external viewers, external editors) so that you can never leave WC.

And of course, one can give suggestions to the author to implement those missing capabilities

I must say that I can live in MS Windows with WC. Without it I am lost!!!! I can't use windows explorer in any way, I hate it with all my heart.
Old 29 September 2002, 11:45   #16
oldpx

I used to have Opus installed when I had a stock 12oo. Of course, I wouldn't run anything else, like a game ni the background when there were an active Opus session. Right now, I'm using opus to view the contents of my whdload CDs, there are so many files in the root that it takes a long time to view them under workbench. With custom made, menu and buttons, archiving and extracting lha, lzx, zip, arj etc.. are made easy.
I also extravt adfs into virtual volumes, extract dms disks etc..
That's basically what I'm using opus for

Old 29 September 2002, 18:51   #17
Pyromania

Windows Commander

Frade I have to agee with Twist on this one.

I gave Windows Commander a good try but I found it lacking when compaired to the open source version of Dir Opus 4.11.

First of all it uses that damn standard Windows GUI for file managers, Ugly! It is just not as efficent using this app as Dir Opus 4.11 and that is what really matters at the end of the day. Hell even disk Master 2 or Dir Works is better.

Last edited by Pyromania; 06 November 2002 at 21:34.
Old 29 September 2002, 19:40   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

Opus4.12 is the ultimate file manipulation program, that has not been repeated on any platform (to my knowledge), even OPus5 is not as good (IMO)..

I think Opus was so easy to use and configure -
* Run programs easily
* It can recognise filetypes from their headers and not some poxy extension that could be wrong!
* view gfx (and configure it to recognise and view foreign formats)
*listen to music and again configure it to run an external program if the format is not internally supported.
*Format,Install disks
*archive, unarchive, view archives etc, seamlessly
*Customise every aspect of the view from colours, and fonts to the width of scroll bars and the position of arrows
*decide for yourself what is displayed in the titlebar - memory free/in use, processes running, CPU usage, Number of libs in memory etc..
*Run scripts, batch files, arexx scripts and pass data back to opus which can then be passed onto another program for manipulation
*run programs in the background with or without extensive dos commands.

I used to use Opus to rip my DISKS to adf, auto lha them and store them ready for upload to the PC.

Double click a file and it could be viewed, click-m-click a file and it'd be opened for editing, select a file and then use a custom button to manipulate the file.. Hell when I ran a bbs I used Dopus4 to unpack, check the contents, delete BBS ads, and insert my own bbs ads before repacking in a smaller better format (lha -> Lzx).

cue hazy dream

Dreams of Dopus 4.12 running seamlessly on a PC

@Fiss - Use a properly configured OPus4.12 for a week, then tell me WC is better
Old 29 September 2002, 20:39   #19
Fissuras
Old Luny

I can't say whether WC is better onot. i claim that it can do all that you wrote about D.Opus. (You can't set width of scroll bars nor the position of arrows). But WC:

* Run programs easily
* It can recognise filetypes from their headers and not some poxy extension that could be wrong!
* view gfx (and configure it to recognise and view foreign formats)
*plays some music and movies (and again configure it to run an external program if the format is not internally supported).
*Format,Install disks
*archive, unarchive, view archives etc, seamlessly
*Customise *many* aspects of the view from colours, and fonts, buttons and more...
*it can show some system info, but not on the title bar.
*This is what I am not sure if WC can do: "Run scripts and pass data back to opus which can then be passed onto another program for manipulation"
*run programs in the background with or without extensive dos commands.

* many more... create CRC, SFV list, Encode, Decode, Split, Merge, most vesatile packing options available in any archive program... FTP, download manager, and many more.

All I claimed is that I can't find any windows program better than WC, and that WC has almost all the goodies D. Opus has.

But now I am going to try some other NC clones that were released. And some Opus clone too
Old 29 September 2002, 22:41   #20
kriz

yo people! Hehe DirOpus is freeware now and you can get Latest this version now (Beta Version) Directory Opus 4.17 , or full Directory Opus 4.16

the homepage for .DirOpus 4 research project

DirOpus 4 is so nice, I have used for many many years now and its still the best for me