English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 04 May 2007, 10:46   #1
AmigaBoy

All Terrain Racing (ATR) + Xmas Demo WHDLoad Problems

I've been trying to get ATR and/or the ATR X-mas coverdisk working using WHDLoad in WinUAE (whatever the latest may be) with no luck.

The X-mas demo, no matter what I try, just gives me garbled graphics. Quitting back to Workbench doesn't work properly, thus forcing me to reboot.

The full game on the other hand gives me audio, but no display. I'm able to navigate through the menu (I know it off by heart ), and even drive around in game. However, no display. Quitting back to Workbench does the same thing as the X-mas demo and forces me to reboot.

The only things that I can say for sure about the full game slave (not sure about the demo) is 68030 is REQUIRED. Anything more or less just doesn't work.

Now, Codetapper has said previously that it works fine on a real Amiga. Unfortunately, I can't test this myself, though I don't doubt him.

What I'd like to know is, can anyone get this working under WinUAE? If it works on a real Amiga (can someone test and give us your specs if it works?), is this a WinUAE emulation problem?

Codetapper:
Any chance of the slave possibly being rewritten or are there other higher priority slaves?
Old 04 May 2007, 10:50   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Me and Belgarath were discussing this a couple of days ago. They work perfectly fine on my configuration but he couldn't get them to work.

I sent him my config and he whittled it down and found the specific config values you need. So you'll just have to wait for him to reply to this!

Any game that appears in my WHDLoad packs has worked in WinUAE really, the only time I test them on my real Amiga is if they show errors/don't work even after altering the config.
Old 04 May 2007, 10:57   #3
AmigaBoy

Very cool!

If it turns out you don't need an 030 machine, I'll be surprised. I tried out numerous configs and no dice.

Thanks KG!
Old 04 May 2007, 11:01   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yep it definitely works in WinUAE... can't for the life of me remember what settings Belg needed to change to get it working though.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:47   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I couldn't get it working, I still can't get it working!

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the wb setup?
Old 04 May 2007, 12:56   #6
AmigaBoy

It may be a workbench setup thing, but why is it that both your setup and mine (completely different I assume) aren't able to run it? I've tried a predone hardfile (3.0, I think) and my own custom setup from scratch (3.1). Both don't work. I'm assuming yours is also a completely different setup.

I'm no expert, but this points more and more to being an emulation bug, provided it does actually run on a real Amiga. Alternatively, KG may have found that 1 magic configuration that makes everything work, but being the non-sharer type that he is, he's keeping it secret! Never trust a gorilla, ESPECIALLY, not a killer version of one. tut tut.
Old 04 May 2007, 13:01   #7
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

KG is a shady ape that's true, but in this case he did send me his winuae config, which wasn't particularly special and made no difference whatsoever in getting the game working here.
Old 04 May 2007, 13:25   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
full ecs mode instead of aga gets the demo a little further, but still not quite right

havent had the full atr working in uae at all, just green or black screen and only gets that far with 030 cpu selected.

Full game works ok on real amiga (A1200/Bppc/040) with the odd blit error flash, but demo wont read the keys (apart from quit) so I cant start 1 or 2 player game.

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 04 May 2007 at 13:40.
Old 04 May 2007, 13:39   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

KG, can you place your version to requested files on you page? I like to try it.
Old 04 May 2007, 13:43   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hmm.. this is weird then.

I swear it's working perfectly here...

I use ClassicWB FULL for my workbench but that can't make the difference because I've had it running from a boot menu too (with no worbench/scalos loading at all).

I'm not shady goddamn!
Old 04 May 2007, 13:46   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
KG, can you place your version to requested files on you page? I like to try it.
Seems I took too long replying last time!

I'll take a look when I get in
Old 05 May 2007, 07:01   #12
AmigaBoy

Found it. Woohoo!

CPU: 68030. Anything else and it won't work. More Compatible on or off since it doesn't matter in this case.
JIT: OFF
FPU: Doesn't matter
Fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing: ON. This is a requirement.

RAM: At least 4MB RAM (doesn't matter what RAM configuration)

Immediate Blitter: Doesn't matter
Cycle Exact: OFF
Faster RTG: Doesn't matter
Chipset: Doesn't matter
Collision Level: Doesn't matter
Sound Emulation: Doesn't matter

Hooray! That config works for both the full game and the x-mas demo.

Now, the reason why I could never get this working before is I would ALWAYS use warp (END+PAUSE) in WinUAE to jump straight into the game. This is a huge no-no! The game only works without warp. Judging from the settings required (JIT off and maintain chipset timing), it has to do with timing, and warp screws that up.

So there you have it
Old 05 May 2007, 07:03   #13
AmigaBoy

We know you're not shady KG. Although....you don't seem to use WinUAE's warp feature....that's a little worrying
Old 05 May 2007, 11:37   #14
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Well done Jason!
Although it works quite happily on 68020 for me, the key problems was having fastest possible and maintain chipset timings, and not using warp mode.

I did actually try it without warp mode before but I mustn't have had fastest possible on at the time.

Great detective work m8!
Old 05 May 2007, 15:02   #15
AmigaBoy

Interesting. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to work under 68020. ah well. 030 works fine

The quit key still requires a reset unfortunately. It's not a big deal, but I was hoping that would work too. So close!
Old 06 May 2007, 15:03   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Glad you finally got it working you slow bastards
Old 10 May 2007, 15:44   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well I've just been trying to get this working in WinUAEX with no luck! Seems the tables have turned

I get the blue screen with music but no menu/title!
Old 02 June 2007, 04:13   #18
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

There is some kind of bug in the WHDLoad/WinUAE combination that causes the ATR Xmas demo to set $dff1fc (FMODE) to $ffff. It doesn't occur on the disk version in WinUAE, and it doesn't occur on my Amiga using WHDLoad.

All this talk people have mentioned about must require 68030 etc is all crap. The chipset, CPU has nothing to do with it. When the title screen becomes corrupt (using any CPU, I use 68020 for example) you can do the following:

Shift-F12 to enter debugger
W dff1fc 0 2
g

Instantly the screen will fix itself, the keyboard will work correctly, WHDLoad will quit when you press the quit key etc. I have tried to put a memory watchpoint on $dff1fc for write but WinUAE seems to ignore it and doesn't not show me when the register changes. If you type "e" in the debugger at the start, you can see FMODE is 0, then later on it's suddenly $ffff.

Therefore it is extremely difficult to trace this "bug" when it doesn't occur on a real Amiga

Last edited by Codetapper; 03 June 2007 at 00:34.
Old 02 June 2007, 11:28   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

My psychic powers say something is READING from DFF1FC.

EDIT:

(bleh, it wasn't read, 0xffff usually points in reading read-only register..)

Ok, real reason is that something overwrites copperlist (at 0x1000)
while copper is still active.

"w 0 1000 1 w 4f" will break when copperlist gets overwritten. (memwatch does not detect copper writes because they take a shortcut. I'll fix this..)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 02 June 2007 at 11:49.
Old 02 June 2007, 14:55   #20
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thanks Toni, I'll have another look tomorrow. At least these "bugs" are hopefully improving the emulator and WHDLoad compatibility inside it!