English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2009, 00:14   #1
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Happy Next Pet Project

Hello again everyone. Every so often I get bored and make a new website. First site I ever made was Atomic Cabbage who's main purpose was to teach me PHP, anyway, a few sites later and I felt like doing something retro related again, this time transcoding, on the fly compression and decompression of files (for uploading, downloading, etc). There's loads of stuff that goes on that you can't see on the face of it but it's all good coding experience.

Anyway, at the moment I'm looking for design improvement ideas and useful functionality that people think may be worth adding to my latest site - http://gsck.org - please excuse the low bandwidth.

So yeah, any ideas for features to add, things that would look better some other way, etc? (previews for other formats will be added when I can find Linux command line decoders for them).

Apparently it doesn't look great in iBrowse but I have to admit that wasn't really taken into consideration :P
Old 20 June 2009, 01:38   #2
Photon

Doesn't validate, but looks perfectly ok in Opera. iBrowse, well, worry about the validation first
Old 20 June 2009, 01:56   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Looks fine in Firefox
Old 20 June 2009, 02:18   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I was kinda looking more for human responses and what people thought of the site rather than technical validation... (that's something I fix after I've finished the groundwork as it only takes 2 seconds anyway).

EDIT: Just checked and it only fails because of missing ALT tags and the use of & in URLs, neither of which will cause issues with, well, anything so validation in this sense wouldn't help anyway.

Last edited by Enverex; 20 June 2009 at 02:24.
Old 20 June 2009, 02:28   #5
Photon

Made me listen to Yie-Ar Kung-Fu, can't be bad
Old 20 June 2009, 10:56   #6
Leffmann

Looks fine in Safari. I like the design, too. Maybe some more search options would be nice in case you put a lot of content there, such as filtering Amiga only hits etc.
Old 20 June 2009, 11:37   #7
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Looks fine in Safari. I like the design, too. Maybe some more search options would be nice in case you put a lot of content there, such as filtering Amiga only hits etc.
Yeah, that's my next target, search options and sorting. That'll be easy and quick to implement though.
Old 21 June 2009, 17:36   #8
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Ok, made some visual adjustments, added in pretty pixel based console/device names in the console's own colours, adding in title screenshots, date of release and authors of the tracks in to the different games.

Will be adding in console specific searching next.
EDIT: Ok, that's done

Any other recommendations?

Last edited by Enverex; 21 June 2009 at 17:46. Reason: Added in completion of machine specific searching
Old 22 June 2009, 09:20   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

yes, give clickable links a more distinguishable look. Right now they just look like text until you hover over them. Perhaps add a tiny icon in front of them or something.

Perhaps you don't care about it, but right now your website is hell to the color blind
Old 22 June 2009, 11:19   #10
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
yes, give clickable links a more distinguishable look. Right now they just look like text until you hover over them. Perhaps add a tiny icon in front of them or something.

Perhaps you don't care about it, but right now your website is hell to the color blind
I've been trying to find a happy medium for links for a while, so I'm still working on that. Not sure I can do much about the colourblind bit though, heh.
Old 23 June 2009, 01:30   #11
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Doesn't validate, but looks perfectly ok in Opera. iBrowse, well, worry about the validation first
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

Ok I've changed the colours a bit so links should now be distinguishable enough without looking horribly different now.

Also added in more prettiness, cleaned up more stuff and generally made it look nicer. The "all tracks" listing now also only shows a console/thing if it has any tracks available in that category.

Also to make the file pages cleaner, the file details are now tool-tips when you hover over a file itself.

Any other ideas or content requests?