English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 18 August 2021, 17:24   #201
Mixel

Oh I see! Sorry if I seemed snappy in response.
Old 02 September 2021, 02:20   #202
Mixel

Slowly chipping away at things but really not been feeling well enough to dev at anything approaching an acceptable speed.

[ Show youtube player ] - here’s a boat though.

If anyone was wondering how I did that in scorpion - it’s a platform actor obviously, but it also has melee box along the top on all its animation frames. I have a codeblock for “on melee hit player” on the boat actor that checks if player_x is less or more than actor x, and changes the actor move direction accordingly.. The boat also has a 1second timer repeating that changes the actor’s direction to Up, but because it has an up speed of 0 it stops in place.

The waves are slightly weird in the video too, I put them in the wrong order, oops.
Old 16 September 2021, 00:51   #203
Mixel

[ Show youtube player ]

A better look at how boats work once the enemies are around.. And also an example of how snails can be useful for getting to hard to reach areas.
Old 21 September 2021, 12:10   #204
Mixel

[ Show youtube player ] Decidedly unfinished, and those skulls don't either look good or belong on this level, but..

Shipwreck.. I think I need to slow down the clouds, it legit makes me feel ill.. But I kind of love it anyway, haha.
Old 21 September 2021, 12:12   #205
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Old 21 September 2021, 13:47   #206
acidbottle

Really cool effects mixel, nice one.

Love the way you have created the bobbing of the ship via platforms, ties in so nice with the parallax to create the feeling of being sea sick!
Old 22 September 2021, 03:18   #207
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Really cool effects mixel, nice one.

Love the way you have created the bobbing of the ship via platforms, ties in so nice with the parallax to create the feeling of being sea sick!
Thank you! I’m piling on the effects now!

The whole level is coming along pretty fast from a visuals and monsters perspective.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 September 2021, 18:02   #208
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

With that bobbing speed will be nice if you give a barf bag with the game:P maybe slowing it down a bit, if possible?
Old 22 September 2021, 18:45   #209
Mixel

Haha yup, it's very not-final and you're not the first person to mention that. It's not going to be a long segment of the game and I might well tone it down in various ways once things are more cemented.. I'm in the process of adding a foreground wave too, which i think might make it even worse from a motion sickness perspective.

Edit:

Made it even more nauseating now! Hurrah!

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Mixel; 22 September 2021 at 21:21.
Old 23 September 2021, 18:28   #210
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

You have some extra RAM to do an attempted grab animation for tentacles if they come close to you?
Old 23 September 2021, 22:13   #211
Mixel

[ Show youtube player ] This might be mostly finished sea parallax. Really not certain! (Will probably slow it down though)

This version has the best balance so far of being it distracting, not too nauseating, not too bright, not just static.. animating it was..

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
You have some extra RAM to do an attempted grab animation for tentacles if they come close to you?
I’ve been thinking about that, and might.. it’s not so much a ram issue as an implementation and time taken one.. I’ll see how it works gameplay-wise.
Old 23 September 2021, 22:15   #212
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Alternatively you can make the tentacles slap him
Old 24 September 2021, 12:28   #213
Mixel

Right now I've set them to do normal collision damage like almost everything else in the game. I may circle back to them though but I have a lot to plow through.

I'm taking a short break from it to try getting something ready for the art contest. (something that'll also be useful for the game/s though!)
Old 21 October 2021, 02:49   #214
Mixel

Still alive, between personal stuff and other projects I’ve been slow on and off, but Earok fixed some Scorpion bugs and I fixed a ton of CMO bugs and everything’s back on track. I’ve greatly extended the Swamp1 stage, added at least 4 new enemy types since I’ve shown anything.

Thinking of doing a recent additions roundup video, here’s a funny new part of the swamp in Tiled.

Attachment 73545

Last edited by Mixel; 07 December 2021 at 09:09.
Old 21 October 2021, 08:18   #215
nikosidis

Nice Mixel. Like it
Old 25 October 2021, 12:24   #216
Mixel

A couple of short clips of recent developments.

[ Show youtube player ] - almost finished this boss fight..

[ Show youtube player ] - And the swamp levels have grown significantly. Very close to completing the swamp, other than its boss section. (Which is planned out already, but will require slightly more complex scripting than any of bosses I’ve used so far!)

Steadily chipping away at everything.
Old 25 October 2021, 14:58   #217
acidbottle

That boss is looking epic Mixel, love it!
Old 25 October 2021, 19:48   #218
Mixel

Thanks! It’s great being able to use melee boxes for collisions instead of the collision boxes, it means I can make the octopus spit only hit you when it’s in the foreground, and the tentacles only hit you some of the time, making it a lot more fair. (the tentacles will briefly submerge if they either hit you, or you punch them, so it’ll be a bit more manageable than I make it look here)
Old 20 November 2021, 15:36   #219
Mixel

I've been contemplating removing the skull o' doom.. When I first added him I hadn't fully established how explorey the levels would get.. Now I know it's more metroid-vania-ish I'm tempted to totally remove the concept of a timer, as he's only a mild annoyance anyway, the amount of pressure players might feel is disproportionate to the amount of damage he can do, so it's kind of a waste of ram just waiting there to appear on every level.. I can repurpose him for a boss fight later or something? ANYWAY.. Undecided.

Anyone have any opinions on irritating timer skull?

Another question I'm asking myself now, in one of my sea-faring levels i need airborne enemies, i was thinking i might use the bats i use later in the game but they're not ideal probably.. Seagulls? Seagulls that poop on you? lol.

Things have been going reasonably steadily but in a totally scattershot way where i inch a lot of levels forward bit by bit. As I'm not planning on another demo right now it means im not really 100%ing completing any level yet.. I'm getting close on a few of them, but the real time consuming thing is creating interesting enemy types, animation and behaviour. I still anticipate accelerating as the process continues, but health and other home issues are slowing me down a bit. I'll have more interesting stuff to show very soon though.

Here's a more up to date game map.. the greener it gets, the closer to completion.. all the pure green stuff is in the demo.. the top left area is incredibly close to completion and the top right maps are very much works in progress..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-20 142133.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	73877
Old 20 November 2021, 16:17   #220
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
You can not defeat the skull, right? Keep it in the game, but make it mortal.

And what about flying fish?