English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 31 December 2019, 20:41   #1
gtsamour

Floppy DF0: dismout on ClassicWB

Hello,
is there a way to completely dismout the DF0: so ClassicWB isn't searching for it?

I set up a CF card for use on my CD32 and (while still under WinUAE) I noticed that even after adding the "assign df0: dismount" command in the beginning of the startup-sequence, the time amount it needs to boot the system is significantly larger without the df0: ticked (in the WinUAE) than when it is ticked.
So I conclude that even with the "assign df0: dismount" command in place, somehow the system is still looking for a floppy drive and that takes significantly more time.

Thank you.
Old 31 December 2019, 21:23   #2
-Acid-

Is that not because the system is expecting to find df0 and get some sort of ready signal from it before it continues the boot sequence, but since nothing is being sent it's still waiting for the state of the drive to return? In a real Amiga if the floppy drive is not connected it takes much longer to boot the ks screen or other drive for the same reason.
Old 31 December 2019, 22:52   #3
gtsamour

Yes but since the dismount command has been added in the startup sequence it shouldnt make a difference but it does....
This only happens with classicwb, on another cf i was preparing with wb 3.1 the same command stopped the system from looking for df0 without any impact on booting time.
I am still on the winuae setting the cf up, maybe on the cd32 there wont be an issue.
Old 01 January 2020, 10:29   #4
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsamour View Post
Hello,
is there a way to completely dismout the DF0: so ClassicWB isn't searching for it?

Short answer: No, there is not. "Assign Dismount" only removes the df0: handler entry from the DosList so programs attempting to open a file or lock a an object on Df0: will fail, but this will not stop the FFS process running on DF0:, nor will it stop processes that are already holding locks or objects on DF0: from operating or scanning there.

Under 3.1.4 and before, the best you can do is "Lock Df0: on" so no program attempts to write to the floppy, followed from "assign df0: dismount" so no program attempts to open a new object on the disk.

Under 3.2, we will have an "unmount" option for the mount command that will also tell the DF0: process to go away. Whether that, however, solves your problem is still another question.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:09   #5
gtsamour

It seems (and i dont know if im right) that classicWB isn't looking for a df0: drive if the CD32 kickstart is selected in winuae instead of A1200 kickstart.

If the cd32 kickstart rom is selected, the booting time is the same (winuae) whether the df0: is ticked or unticked. So I believe I'm good.

With my wb 3.1 install even on the real cd32 the console was asking for e df0: on bootup unless the "assign df0: dismount" command had been inserted at startup-sequence.
Old 01 January 2020, 12:13   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

It's probably NoClick or something you have to go through everything used by classicWb on Startup and there's probably alot.

And why would you use A1200 kick? Always use the QuickStarts

P.s happy new year.
Old 02 January 2020, 01:17   #7
gtsamour

Because thats what the you tube guide was what the tutorial was suggesting

[ Show youtube player ]