English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old Today, 13:49   #1
NovaCoder

PolyNova3D - Software rendering a go-go

A very long time ago (30 years), I was into 3D coding and even created my own 3D engines based on a DOS 3D engine called AST 3D

I actually started off building simple 3D Dungeon Master style engines using QBasic before graduating to C++ and DirectX.

Some of my later engines were even used to produce game demos which is pretty cool

Anyway, I was very bored recently and thought I might try and port an older version of my engine (PolyNova3D) over to Amiga 68k (the newer versions are too heavy for software rendering).

I've still got some of my old engine's source code on floppy discs but it was all over the place and its taken me a long time to get something basically working on 68k.

I was having trouble rendering the triangles properly as my old engine used DirectX. This lead me to looking into 68k OpenGL and Mesa. I then decided to port a newer version of Storm Mesa over to 68k (pure software, no hardware acceleration) and then add Mesa OpenGL to SDL.

Read all about it here -> Mesa OpenGL

I've also spent ages trying to get the collision detection working as I've forgotten a lot of this 3D stuff and can't read my own code

Anyway, I've attached the first demo worth releasing, it's still very very alpha

Keys are:

w = forward
s = backwards
cursor left/right to rotate
cursor up/down to look up and down
escape to quit

It will be very slow (needs optimizing), only 16bit fullscreen 320*240 mode currently supported. Only PiStorm/WinUAE will be fast enough to run this engine.

My basic todo list:
  • Add the real-time lighting and light switches
  • optimize
  • use Opengl for the Z buffer
  • improve the collision detection
  • Add mouse support for the player

The scene is loaded from a level file, you can open it in a txt editor to see how it works.

My plan is to release a fully working demo (with real-time lighting) to Aminet and github and then maybe I'll then use the engine to create a simple space shooter that I've been thinking about recently.
Attached Files
File Type: lha PolyNova3D.lha (740.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by NovaCoder; Today at 14:09.
Old Today, 14:53   #2
pixie

That's too much pink for a man to handle! xD
Old Today, 15:37   #3
klx300r

Thumbs up

Thanks for this NovaCoder Looking forward to testing this out when I'm back in front of my Amiga