English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 03 November 2003, 01:38   #1
incognito

Req: Marwins Marvellous Adventure

Marwins Marvellous Adventure - CD32

THE plattform games of plattform games.

I am really desperate. I really want this game, but it is nowhere to be found. I would be extremely grateful for anything that will help me got hold of this masterpiece.

Cheers and thanks and things like that.

Old 03 November 2003, 02:30   #2
Tomtom

You may find it HERE ...
under TosecSets/SingleROM/...
Old 03 November 2003, 03:07   #3
incognito

I was mostly looking for the CD32-version.

But it was a great link anyway.

Old 03 November 2003, 03:21   #4
Amiga1992

Do a search for WHDLoad on the board and you will find what you are looking for.
Old 03 November 2003, 11:53   #5
incognito

Can´t say that I found anything that helped me.

Old 03 November 2003, 12:38   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
True, because the CD32 version he wants is not that easy to get hold of.
I'd be interested in this one myself, too. (ISO preferred)

Even moderators should read request posts CAREFULLY.

Last edited by andreas; 03 November 2003 at 12:44.
Old 03 November 2003, 13:10   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've got an original CD of Marvin CD32. I can make a CloneCD image of it.
Old 03 November 2003, 15:25   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Even moderators should read request posts CAREFULLY.
You should research more before posting such an acusation.

This game is available in TomTom's Amiga HD Spiele in WHDLoad form.

So nyah.
Old 03 November 2003, 15:35   #9
incognito

Akira: But is WHDLoad any good if I want to burn it and play directly on my CD32?

Newbie-question maybe, but I really don´t understand this with WHDLoad.

Old 03 November 2003, 16:21   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

WHDLoad is intended for running games on hard disk Amigas.

It is possible to run a WHDLoad install on a CD32 - what you would be doing is making the CD in the CD32 like a removable hard disk and running the WHDLoad install from it.

However you would lose the CD audio and the WHDLoad install may also need more memory than the CD32 can provide. And it's pretty pointless if you can run the actual game directly from its original CD.

WHDLoad can be useful on the CD32 if you want to run numerous smaller games from a single CD. Gary's CD32 compilations use WHDLoad to do this.

There is a general WHDLoad FAQ here: Cody's WHDLoad FAQ
Old 03 November 2003, 16:54   #11
Drake1009

I'm still missing one crucial answer from that FAQ.

Is there a way to make many of the WHD installs run without fastram and without >2MB ram.

I've noticed that most of the WHD installs need fastram, and most of them need more than 2 MB ram, even if it's an old game which would run on an A500 with 512 kb ram. I could run the games 4 times in the memory I have but not even once with WHDload.

This of course means I can hardly run any WHD game which means there's no reason for me to purchase it. And I just can't pull together to install an accelerator, and I can't find any fastram which doesn't need an accelerator.
Old 03 November 2003, 17:22   #12
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There are a couple of tooltypes which can sometimes be used to run WHDLoad games in less memory e.g. 'Preload' specifies that files should not be loaded into memory, but rather taken directly from the hard disk, thus requiring less memory. The tooltype 'ExpChip' forces the install to use Chip rather than Fast RAM, so conceivably might be used to run an install that needs Fast RAM in a machine with only 2 Mb Chip.

How much memory is needed is really up to the WHDLoad patcher and also depends on the game. Some games may require a 1.3 ROM image loaded in memory - this means that 512K is used up for that purpose. Just because an A500 disk game needs 512K memory doesn't mean that a WHDLoad install should need the same.

I don't really know much about running WHDLoad on basic A1200s as for as long as I can remember I've had some kind of extra memory or accelerator.

The problem is that something like WHDLoad really requires some extra memory and most A1200s still in use are upgraded. I think that there is a reasonable basic requirement.

Gary probably knows more, as his CD compilations contain a shedload of WHDLoad games that run with 2Mb Chip RAM.
Old 03 November 2003, 17:23   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Cody ... looking forward to checking out your image.
And due to Toni's excellent emulation progresses, this ISO loaded up into WinUAE will beat *ANY* WHD installed ripped stuff!
Old 03 November 2003, 17:39   #14
Drake1009

I'll try fiddling around with the tooltypes then. Thanks cody. I undestand all too well that WHD games might need more memory because it needs the kick rom loaded and everything. I was just wondering where the other megabytes are going to.
Old 03 November 2003, 19:49   #15
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs down Lies damn lies!

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
I'm still missing one crucial answer from that FAQ.

Is there a way to make many of the WHD installs run without fastram and without >2MB ram.

I've noticed that most of the WHD installs need fastram, and most of them need more than 2 MB ram, even if it's an old game which would run on an A500 with 512 kb ram. I could run the games 4 times in the memory I have but not even once with WHDload.

This of course means I can hardly run any WHD game which means there's no reason for me to purchase it. And I just can't pull together to install an accelerator, and I can't find any fastram which doesn't need an accelerator.
Sorry but this is completely untrue.

If you pick a game like Pipemania which uses 512k chip memory, the original game used 512k only but could not quit. WHDLoad needs to remember the contents of all memory that it is going to destroy in order to quit (the first 512k). If your startup trashes say 250k of memory to load workbench, then the WHDLoad install will take 512k + 250k + a bit more (stack, buffers, file lists etc), well under 1 Mb. Then it needs to either preload the game file or if you do not use preload, it will load from disk when needed.

As for most installs needing fastram, that is also incorrect. I can probably list > 500 games that run easily in 2Mb - but if the original is stored as disk images and is more than one disk there is only one thing you can do - upgrade.
Old 03 November 2003, 22:16   #16
Drake1009

So what you're saying is the less I load up before starting the game, the less I have to have available to play the games?

This I've got to try. There might be hope yet.
Old 04 November 2003, 00:05   #17
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

The less that is loaded when Workbench starts, the more memory you will have to preload the game files, so less operating system swaps will be needed to play the game.

Basically remove the PRELOAD tooltype and boot without startup-sequence and you should be able to run a lot of games no problem. From memory I had about 1.8Mb of RAM on a basic A1200 if I did this.
Old 04 November 2003, 00:12   #18
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Mmmhhhh??? Anyway ---- Marvin CD32 WHDLoad version in the zone now.
Old 06 November 2003, 17:17   #19
incognito

So is there anyone out there who can help me?

Old 06 November 2003, 23:16   #20
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Well, I think every A-500 WHD game should run on a Amiga 500 with 1.8MB ram card with Gary-adapter, with the onboard 512k chipram giving the A-500 a total of 2.3MB. But from my experience a 1MB A-500 will not be able to run most WHD games, even if you don't load any workbench !
I have an old Supradrive harddisk for my A-500, which only needs less than 20kB for a driver so that Amigados can see the HD. But even if I only load that driver and nothing else, I cannot run WHD games with 1MB.
Anyway, HD games only make sense in the case of games with a shitload of disks where you have to swap disks often, or in some rare cases where every cracked disk version is not working 100%.