English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 27 June 2001, 14:07   #1
Opi

Exclamation Starfleet I and II

To satisfy my personal collecting needs I'm looking for clean, verfied copies of the super-old strategy titles Starfleet 1 and 2 from Interstel. Empire designer Mark Baldwin made both games which were released in the US only in 1986 and '87. It would be a real blast to get the game docs as well.

Thanks for your help guys.

Greetings from Germany

Old 27 June 2001, 14:23   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Starfleet

Are you looking for originals or cracks of the games?
Old 27 June 2001, 16:24   #3
Opi

Wink Wonderful

AWESOME, I'm .... I can , :bounce and :laugh all the time

What an experince after such a long time. I spent a hour in my office playing this old gem and finally was able to become promoted AND save my record ! UNBELIEVEABLE

I am very grateful - I you ever need my voice at Retrogames - ASK !

Opi

Starfleet 2 was a misinformation - "starfl21.adf" was Starflight 2 Sorry !

BTW : This messageboard system is terrific !!!

Old 27 June 2001, 17:34   #4
Amiga1992

Yes, it is terific. Glad to see you around here Mr. Opi I haven't checked the Retrogames forums in ages though, I got sick when all that Final Burn garbage occured. That put me off, really
Old 27 June 2001, 17:47   #5
Opi

Eek

The Retrogames messageboards calmed down lately ! So welcome back Akira

Looks like I was too effusive

Any help would be very much appreciated

I've also attached the adf image because it once again complains about 'not been verified".
One saving and everythings gone crazy - damnit :/
So it seems I need a cracked version - any idea ?

Thanks boys

Old 28 June 2001, 09:00   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Starfleet cracked by Codetapper!

Those of you that are interested, to crack the game get out your hex editor and load up the file SF1:

At $1f78, change from $66000084 to $4e714e71

This should send the word-from-the-manual protection to valhalla. If you no longer want to enter the correct password in each save game file to load the file:

At $156c, change from $660c to $4e71

For those of you that can't be bothered doing this, I've attached the game, cracked in zipped ADF format. I've also optimised the disk and cleared all unused sectors, hence it's 100k smaller! Enjoy!

PS: Seeing as I don't have the docs or time to work out how to play this game, I couldn't actually *test* that the above patches work (they should, I've done enough of these now!) so if something goes wrong, send me a valid save file plus your name and I will check it out.

Last edited by Codetapper; 29 June 2001 at 05:08.
Old 28 June 2001, 09:34   #7
Opi

Hey cooool - greetings to New Zealand !
If it works you're my HERO

Now I'm off to test your efforts.

Thanks

Old 28 June 2001, 09:52   #8
Opi

Oaaaah :/ You haven't succeeded your self-chosen task - sorry. Immediately after the registration the game hangs.

Try it out - you'll need workbench and kickstart 1.2 with 512 kb chipmem.
Maybe you can add my two savegames from the disk which I've uploaded yesterday - would be a real pain to lose them again (I lost many in the past, when I was unable to rejoin saved games)
I was registered as "Opi" - password "opisoft"

Thanks

Old 28 June 2001, 14:14   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
PS: Seeing as I don't have the docs or time to work out how to play this game
No problem, mate - here's LSD Sprint Volume #09, with full docs, codes and hints!
Old 28 June 2001, 16:13   #10
Opi

Hmmm nice try, I appreciate it !
BUT (I'm unexperienced) how do I access the
"HELP" and the "ยด" buttons ?

Starfleet docs aren't included in the front menu

//RCK: no signature please

Old 28 June 2001, 16:34   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

WinUAE?

Well just try to press through your six grey buttons (from 'Einfg' (Ins) to 'Bild ab' (PgDn)) the help key MUST be among those!
Old 29 June 2001, 11:40   #12
Opi

Oooh - this is such a frustrating thing :/
Yeah - andreas I got it and read the codes BUT it hasn't helped to go any further.
When I choose to go on the disk led flashes and then it stops showing the sector (?) number 59.

I guess its the "disk not validated" problem that causes the trouble. HOW can I validate my disk ?
Here are some of the codes (you have 3 tries) if a helpful soul likes to check my disk. I've attached it on one of my replies above .....

Thanks

Old 29 June 2001, 11:40   #13
Codetapper

Question Please show me why you think this game isn't cracked!

Hi Opi

Again, let me begin by saying these games bore me stupid so I have no time to work out anything with this game. However, I grabbed the archive I uploaded, copied the files Demo.log, seq78.log and seq79.log off your (completely stuffed) disk image onto my cracked one and loaded the game up (workbench 1.3 image, 512k chip/512k fast memory)

I tried various things, double clicking the main game or the log icons and after loading, entering the name Opi etc - it didn't seem to find the files (no matter, I probably didn't load them properly or copy all the right files or something). However, in the manual it says enter your name as MANAGER with password FLEET (because I cracked that, you can enter anything for the password). Then it asks for a word from the manual (see attached pic).

I type anything, it says authorised. A silly menu appears which I can replay a log of Opi wiping out several baddies etc, getting an 86% rating... There are a lot of other options but I think I proved that this game is now cracked.

If you still think it isn't properly cracked, please give me STEP BY STEP instructions of what to do to recreate this crash you say occurs - every file you copy/load/double click, every key you press to get it to appear.

I could only find the one password check and one word from the manual, I have shown in the screenshot attached that these have been bypassed. The game doesn't seem to have any kind of checksums or self modifying code - it was written in 1987 and probably using some really high level language which means they didn't have a clue how to protect software

I await your reply.

PS: Maybe the game needs > 512k of memory to replay a saved game or something? Try using 1Mb instead of just 512k... That might account for the crash?

PPS: Opi, get rid of your disk image. It looks terminal. Too many of the files are completely corrupt. Copy your saved files off it onto my image and put it in the same rubbish bin as Atari ST's belong in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starfleet_cracked.gif
Views:	462
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	210  

Last edited by Codetapper; 29 June 2001 at 11:52.
Old 29 June 2001, 11:54   #14
Opi

Thanks for your time - you are a real nice guy

Please tell me how to validate the disks - your crack reports the same problem (not validated).
And how can I copy/delete a file from a disk.

Maybe you or someone else can name me a good Disk maintaining program. Even better - attach it here ))

Sorry if I sound lame - but my Amiga experiences are 10 years away ....

Old 29 June 2001, 13:54   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Dirty validation hack :p

To "validate" one of my disks when I got the requester "...not validated" back then when I couldn't afford Disk Salv yet, I took a Disk Monitor and (counting from ZERO, not from 1) set the 78th long word of the ROOT BLOCK (block #880 [$370]) to $FFFFFFFF.
This worked. Do not forget to re-calculate the checksum afterwards.
For that, I've used DisKey from the German author Angela Schmidt aka nessy (and I'm still using the old version 2.0 for OS 1.3 issues).
Old 29 June 2001, 14:08   #16
Codetapper

Opi's disk is knackered!

Hey Opi, forget your disk - it's stuffed. Even if you attempt a disk fix with quarterback tools etc it finds too many problems and just deletes the main game file. So forget it, copy the save files off it to ram: and then load up my adf (which *IS* validated, I don't understand why you think it isn't?!?!)

Then simply copy the files you copied to RAM onto the disk image and save it. If you still can't do it I'll just copy the files on myself and upload it again... but it's a simple operation, if you have directory opus or some tool like that it's child's play...
Old 29 June 2001, 14:15   #17
Opi

Oh oh oh my head aches ...

I have no powers and no utils to follow your suggestions Codetapper/andreas. I've collected Gigabytes of games but no utilites and I have no coding powers.

Hence if it would be a C-64 related problem THEN .... but I used my Amiga only to play games. I never did anything else with it.

So please be gentle and help a old man to cross the street

Old 29 June 2001, 17:02   #18
Amiga1992

Ok Opiman, let me do this for you, you are too old for this shit already (just joking )

In a minute I'll post Codetapper's disk with your savegames
Old 29 June 2001, 17:18   #19
Opi

Don't forget - it needs to be VALIDATED ))))

Old 29 June 2001, 20:22   #20
Amiga1992

Ok, I officially say, WTF?

I copied Opi's two savefiles to Codetapper's disk.. wwell, at least I thought so... The game reports less free space, but I don't see the files anywhere!!!

wtf is going on? Using WinFellow here (I'm at work, I don't have the miggy with me). I copied both using Workbench AND the Shell... if I do a dir, nothing shows up. If I open the disk's window, nothing shows up! The disk space keeps decreasing but teh files never appear.