English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 November 2006, 14:34   #1
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

New "Elite" News

To read more about the forthcoming sequels to the classic ELITE by David Braben, click below

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...49344&skip=yes
Old 20 November 2006, 14:46   #2
Bloodwych

I love the Elite series, but the only ongoing promise of a new release to out-last OS4 is Elite 4!

I fear we'll never see the game anytime soon. Braben always stated he was waiting for technology to catch up. With the current power of systems and the prominence of broadband connections, now surely is the time.
Old 20 November 2006, 14:54   #3
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i seem to recall Braben having a pop at the AI in GTA as just "moving things you could hit" and him stating he wanted a truely-automated environment.... and a game where you started without a ship, just to show the depth of the game.

i mean, how difficult is it to clean the bugs in Frontier, slap in some textures and more polygons, and make it multiplayer??? ok, that kinda thinking lead to the cock-up of First Encounters, but you get the idea.... it really doesnt need much to still make it a great game. (sometimes less is more)

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 20 November 2006 at 15:00.
Old 20 November 2006, 14:55   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Elite 4 is a game I want to play more than any other I can think of but I do wonder if itll ever arrive.
Old 20 November 2006, 17:46   #5
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I hope Braben does not get too bogged down in technicalities and just make Elite:Online, on the other hand we dont want another First Encounters do we? :S
Old 20 November 2006, 22:33   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

other spacer/trader games just dont compete...

and i have tried near enough all of them, and though i enjoyied them... the original (and even amigers elite plus!) are just better... and i dont know why..

lets see

freespace 1/2
tachyon the fringe
wing commander privatier
frontier & first enc.
X,X2 and X3 the threat

those are the onese that spring to mind I am pretty sure there are others but alas..... i cannot remember them.

but ALL of them are not as much fun as ELITE.... figure..... seeing that flashing ELITE status.... that had meaning!
Old 20 November 2006, 22:40   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

FOFT (Federation of Free Traders)
Old 20 November 2006, 23:42   #8
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

I went to the London Science Museum today, hoping to attend David Braben's talk on 'computer games then and now' but the tickets were all sold out
I got there at 1pm and they were already gone. The talk was at 7pm.
Oh well, it wasn't a complete waste, I saw the "Game On" exhibition (40 years of computer and video games). I am a little bit cheesed off that they only had one Amiga (an A500 running Lemmings) when they had so many PS2s.
They had a Nintendo NES running Elite there.
Old 20 November 2006, 23:48   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
I went to the London Science Museum today, hoping to attend David Braben's talk on 'computer games then and now' but the tickets were all sold out
My friend was going to this as well, he wrote me the following e-mail yesterday:

Quote:
Off to see David Braben give a talk tomorrow. Hopefully try and get him to sign my sealed Darxide...would be worth a fortune! (could already sell it for £1k at least, no problem ;->)
Old 20 November 2006, 23:57   #10
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Hopefully he went to it and can tell you what was said. Good idea to take something to sign, I would have done the same if I had a copy of Elite, but I don't.
Old 20 November 2006, 23:57   #11
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
freespace 1/2
tachyon the fringe
These are more pure space combat rather than anything to do with trading, surely? FS1 rocks, Tachyon is pretty good, I have just installed FS2 so we will see how that turns out X-Wing remains The (combat) Daddy however, I wish they'd do another

How about Freelancer? Darkstar One (may be another combat one though) ?
Old 21 November 2006, 00:01   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
Hopefully he went to it and can tell you what was said. Good idea to take something to sign, I would have done the same if I had a copy of Elite, but I don't.
I'll speak with him tomorrow and post some details

Hopefully he has some good news.
Old 21 November 2006, 00:10   #13
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Thanks, that will be good
Old 21 November 2006, 00:45   #14
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
other spacer/trader games just dont compete...

and i have tried near enough all of them, and though i enjoyied them... the original (and even amigers elite plus!) are just better... and i dont know why..

lets see

frontier

but ALL of them are not as much fun as ELITE.... figure..... seeing that flashing ELITE status.... that had meaning!
i actually prefer Frontier to Elite quite a lot. *hides!*
Old 21 November 2006, 01:06   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@griv
yeah... freelancer 1&2... lots of plot... lots of missions and yeah lots of combat.... but after you spank everything that decalres its self an enemy (and a few whom dont) its kinda like the feeling of playing an FPS agasint the computer... you might get a thrill but... it doesnt last...

@Hungry Horace
theres no need to hide my friend as to begin with I prefered Frontier over elite (once i got used to the initial mass jump-time differential) but... sigh... i had elite status in under a week, made more money than I could forseably spend and was left lacking after a couple of weeks.. (admitedly i did kane that game) but still... its just missing something for me, and i cannot tell you what...

it took me months to get to elite status on the C64... months.... it took ages to get docking computers... man that was a challenge then... every run could be your last and often was.. lol...

but i would hit out the post it notes all over the computer table with what was going for what in leavat system or iixxvae systemm... whom needed school home whom work for political/commercial economics.. I HAD intergalctic economics.... deals done at the point of smoldering military grade laser cannons and a cargohold full of so much contraband its not technically possible ..... sigh.... i miss elite.....
Old 21 November 2006, 02:35   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

woah Zetr0... just play it again already! i'm not surprised it took you months on the c64.... everyone knows the speccy version is faster right? just never got into Elite in the same way, i guess i just wasnt good enough at Frontier to max it out in week, so always found it more enjoyable... plus i only began really enjoying it a few years back at uni, as when it came out i wasnt very keen on it (sacrelidge!)... by the time i DID get into it, the "easier on the eye" Frontier had an immediate advantage!
Old 21 November 2006, 07:37   #17
EmuChicken

man I loved Frontier....

Didnt have the patience to work out all the controls on Elite 1 on the Amstrad in 2003 though :-D hehe!
Old 21 November 2006, 14:01   #18
DamienD
Banned

I e-mailed my friend and asked if there was any exciting information to tell?

Here's his reply:

Quote:
Not really. The Outsider is his next game...looks cool and he had some interesting stuff about it...and about the future he wants to see in games etc. Although tbh I did disagree with a bit of what he said. I don't necessarily want my games to be as emotionally involving as a movie etc...i quite like simple escapism.

PS. Got David Braben's signature on my sealed Darxide. Yippee!
Old 21 November 2006, 18:12   #19
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Oh, well then I don't feel so bad I missed it. Your mate did a good thing getting that signed. That's a keeper.
Old 22 November 2006, 23:56   #20
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Here's where I get my Elite fix...

Oolite:
http://oolite.aegidian.org/

Oosat2:
http://www.aegidian.org/bb/

Oolite Bulletins:
http://oosat.alioth.net/