English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 September 2020, 05:34   #1
c0dehunter

Received my European C= (Chicken Lips) A500 Keyboard: Issue!

Dear all,
I just received, and installed this keyboard (European, with German O and U) on my North American NTSC A500. However, when I turn the system on, as it loads a floppy diskette, on the screen it starts typing a series of

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

bracket symbols (as if a key is stuck), and then it stops half way on the screen and I can not go any further.

If I reset, and press ENTER key immediately, it won't do it, and the game, demo, etc, would load just fine.

I made sure that the ] key is not stuck, and when I successfully boot into WB, I can open up the Notepad, and every single key press seem to be working fine.

Could this be the incompatibility between the US A500 and the European keyboard?

Oh, and when I received the keyboard, BEFORE I test, it I removed all the key caps and cleaned them with soap and water, and meticulously, put everything back together.

Of all the entire keys, only 4 keys, with their 'SPACE INVADERS' shape white plastic mechanism came off together (along with their corresponding spring), but I put everything back together, and as I mentioned earlier, they all type and register the key presses just fine. (including those 4 keys)

What could it be?

Please see attached images, the second instance, is when the system can not go any further (the mouse WORKS however), so I have to reset my A500.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic01.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	516.9 KB
ID:	68841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic02.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	68842  

Last edited by c0dehunter; 12 September 2020 at 05:39.
Old 12 September 2020, 08:03   #2
Jope
-

It's not an NTSC incompatibility.

Does your NMB board have its plastic sheet on the bottom? If not, be sure to isolate it with a piece of cardboard that spans the entire keyboard PCB.

If the plastic sheet is there, make sure none of the solder joints in the bottom have punctured it.
Old 14 September 2020, 20:41   #3
c0dehunter

Yes, the plastic cover is there, let me check to see if there is an opening that causing this.
Old 15 September 2020, 05:25   #4
c0dehunter

Tried it, (removed the A500 case cover, and held the keyboard up in the air) and turned on the system, it is still doing it. So I know it is not a contact issue.
Old 15 September 2020, 07:13   #5
Jope
-

Ok, I booted a 1.3 setup and this is actually a lower case L instead of a ] .. Maybe check your L key, remove the keycap (but not the plunger) and see how the brass contacts look.
Old 16 September 2020, 04:08   #6
c0dehunter

Yes, it indeed looks like an "l".

UPDATE:

I was able to fix it:

The two copper connectors that would touch, and *short* the circuit in order to register a key-stroke (key L in my case), were bent INWARDS, so they would TOUCH ALL THE TIME, or as I played further, it got worse, and they NEVER TOUCHED, so I could not register a keystroke.

Eventual, I was able to adjust them properly, however, the right connector is sort of ripped from the base, so it is *barely* hanging by a thread (so to speak), but it is working now.

Thank you SO very much again for your kind input and direction.

Last edited by c0dehunter; 16 September 2020 at 09:45.