English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 June 2021, 19:11   #561
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
[...] On the other hand - Hyperion claimed the digital download would be a limited edition (1 type of machine, no extras), so this feels a bit unfair. I wonder why did they change their mind. Anyway, Hyperion idea of distribution just sucks - contrary to the development team, who did a really great job!
In another side, by doing so Hyperion allows Amiga resellers to make a bit of money with the OS. All in all we have to wait for a digital download but it's win-win .
Old 05 June 2021, 19:18   #562
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
@Predseda - I hope the rest of the distributors will follow, this is how they should have been selling the OS from day one.
But this is someone anonymous, who offers it pirated.
Old 05 June 2021, 19:47   #563
Romanujan

@malko - Making customers pay for something they don't need (CD, packaging, postage) is definitely not a win-win. I would prefer my money to go for Amiga development, not to the crappy postal service I have in my country. Hyperion itself is free to sponsor the resellers if he wishes to.

@Preseda - Now that's totally strange. Who would consciously pay 30 EUR for a pirated software worth something like 40-45 EUR (legally) or available for free (illegally) at warez sites?
Old 05 June 2021, 19:52   #564
alancfrancis

Seems a bit weird to post this here, but for whatever reason it seems 3.2 related...

On my 3.1.4 install (kickstart+WB) Roadshow 1.1.4 was happy with the little PCMCIA network card. Was using an unmodified "CNet" in Devs:NetInterfaces.

I've just installed Roadshow again on my 3.2 (kickstart+WB) install and an unmodified CNet gives me "Could not add interface CNet (Input/Output Error)" and no other info. Is there some useful debugging information I can access to find out what this error means ?
Old 05 June 2021, 20:04   #565
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
Seems a bit weird to post this here, but for whatever reason it seems 3.2 related...

On my 3.1.4 install (kickstart+WB) Roadshow 1.1.4 was happy with the little PCMCIA network card. Was using an unmodified "CNet" in Devs:NetInterfaces.

I've just installed Roadshow again on my 3.2 (kickstart+WB) install and an unmodified CNet gives me "Could not add interface CNet (Input/Output Error)" and no other info. Is there some useful debugging information I can access to find out what this error means ?
*facepalm*. don't forget to download cnet.device Alan.
Old 06 June 2021, 00:08   #566
bubbob42

Quote:
*facepalm*. don't forget to download cnet.device Alan.
We also had to revert to card.resource V40 for safety reasons. Should your machine be an A1200, then you might need to reinsert the card after power on or use the Cardreset-tool or a Gayle hardware fix.
Old 06 June 2021, 09:13   #567
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Hi Olaf, sorry for the delay in response, I wanted to wait till I was at a proper keyboard rather than my phone.

I got it working by just putting the new include_H and libs folders *ahead* of the old in my INCLUDE: assign. That way I didn't have to delete anything. Do you see risks in this approach ?
Long term you might be better off making a backup of the directory which the "include:" assignment points to, then replacing everything as I outlined before. You could always refer to that backup later if you need it (could be that might never need it again).

The header files (both for 'C' and assembly language) are also part of the operating system documentation and you might want to refer to them often (for a bit of fun, have a look at the all-new "proto/alib.h" file). If that involves first figuring out where the 'C' header files actually are stored (or for that matter, where the assembly language header files wound up at) you are making something simple less so...

The compiler will be happy with a multi-assignment referring to three directories, with dos.library finding the header files the compiler requested for it. But your interests as a software developer are likely different and you may benefit from easily accessing the header files.

Quote:
The GST tip is super helpful, thanks!
The old pre-built include:all.gst file is the only risky file I can think of in this context (with three multi-assignments bound to "include:"). If you never rebuilt it, it will contain the 3.1 header files. The NDK 3.2 does not replace this GST file and this might have side-effects.

The pre-built GST file also has other strings attached. The compiler remembers the floating point and integer size options in use at the time when the GST file was created. Let's say you want to build an application which uses the "historic" Motorola Fast Floating Point math which is enabled with the "math=ffp" option (it could happen) and you set up your project to make use of "include:all.gst". The compiler might then warn you that the floating point math used by the GST file does not match what you picked (with the "math=ffp" option enabled you get sizeof(float) == sizeof(double) and sizeof(float) == sizeof(long)).

Quote:
When you and Camilla are saying you're developing 3.2 on an amiga using SAS, can I assume its not a real amiga, but something emulated so its fast ?
Alan
FS-UAE and WinUAE are involved in some major capacity because they are fast and can be run unattended if need be.
Old 06 June 2021, 10:11   #568
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
We also had to revert to card.resource V40 for safety reasons.
Can you tell us more about this?
Old 06 June 2021, 10:21   #569
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
We also had to revert to card.resource V40 for safety reasons. Should your machine be an A1200, then you might need to reinsert the card after power on or use the Cardreset-tool or a Gayle hardware fix.
The pcmcia storage thing I got from amigakit installed a cardreset and cardpatch and added them to my startup-sequence. Seems to still work fine

I have some vague sense that steve@amigapassion did the hardware fix in my refurbed 1200 but I might be imagining it ?
Old 06 June 2021, 10:24   #570
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
The header files (both for 'C' and assembly language) are also part of the operating system documentation and you might want to refer to them often (for a bit of fun, have a look at the all-new "proto/alib.h" file). If that involves first figuring out where the 'C' header files actually are stored (or for that matter, where the assembly language header files wound up at) you are making something simple less so....
Makes total sense. Thanks
Old 06 June 2021, 10:37   #571
alancfrancis

Quote:
@malko - Making customers pay for something they don't need (CD, packaging, postage) is definitely not a win-win. I would prefer my money to go for Amiga development, not to the crappy postal service I have in my country. Hyperion itself is free to sponsor the resellers if he wishes
But the Amiga developers have said the best way to contribute to Amiga development is to buy AmigaOS3.2 from resellers. If you buy from somewhere like amigastore.eu you get access to the iso while you wait, so you get it fast and Hyperion and the reseller and the developers all win ????
Old 06 June 2021, 13:59   #572
Romanujan

Quote:
If you buy from somewhere like amigastore.eu you get access to the iso while you wait
When I placed my order there was no clear indication which resellers will be providing the ISO - in fact, there was never any mention about such a possibility at all.

Quote:
and Hyperion and the reseller and the developers all win ????
If the role of the resellers is to:

- introduce delays
- increase the final price
- waste environment resources without a good need

then I don't want them to "win" - I want them to disappear. I have purchased quite a lot of retro stuff in the last years (both hardware and software licenses), almost none came from the official Hyperion resellers.
Old 06 June 2021, 14:13   #573
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

We are a UK reseller and we are not allowed to offer any ISO as part of the sale. We are only allowed to sell AmigaOS 3.2 on CD-Rom or other physical media.

Many thanks!

Steve@RetroPassion

Quote:
When I placed my order there was no clear indication which resellers will be providing the ISO - in fact, there was never any mention about such a possibility at all.

If the role of the resellers is to:

- introduce delays

then I don't want them to "win" - I want them to disappear. I have purchased quite a lot of retro stuff in the last years (both hardware and software licenses), almost none came from the official Hyperion resellers.
Old 06 June 2021, 17:18   #574
alancfrancis

Quote:
- introduce delays
All fair points and you should definitely vote with your wallet and don't buy it till its available in a format you like.

You don't have to order it right away ? Why not wait till there's a download available ? I usually wait for paperbacks when I'm buying a book, even if it means waiting a while.
Old 06 June 2021, 17:21   #575
alancfrancis

Quote:
All fair points and you should definitely vote with your wallet and don't buy it till its available in a format you like.

You don't have to order it right away ? Why not wait till there's a download available ? I usually wait for paperbacks when I'm buying a book, even if it means waiting a while.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1280. Seems you ordered and received it already since you're unhappy about prefs in the other thread ;-)
Old 06 June 2021, 18:18   #576
Romanujan

Quote:
Why not wait till there's a download available ?
Because Hyperion claims full version won't be available for download. Only per-model versions, without some extras.

Quote:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1488989&postcount=1280. Seems you ordered and received it already since you're unhappy about prefs in the other thread ;-)
Upon my request, over 2 weeks after the purchase, reseller shared the ISO with me. I still didn't receive the CDs though (and, more importantly, the serial number).
Old 06 June 2021, 18:55   #577
alancfrancis

Quote:
Because Hyperion claims full version won't be available for download. Only per-model versions, without some extras.
Just like 3.1.4 I guess?

Quote:
Upon my request, over 2 weeks after the purchase, reseller shared the ISO with me. I still didn't receive the CDs though (and, more importantly, the serial number).
Great! So you’re good to go ? The serial is only needed once there’s a 3.2.1 I think so as long as you have the ISO, there’s no hurry \o/
Old 06 June 2021, 19:33   #578
Romanujan

Quote:
Great! So you’re good to go ? The serial is only needed once there’s a 3.2.1 I think so as long as you have the ISO, there’s no hurry \o/

I had to pay for manufacturing and postage of physical item I don't need, I was waiting for electronic delivery without any valid reason (and got it delivered by pure luck), the serial will be send to me via unreliable snail mail (of course it's not their fault at all, it's the coronavirus that breaks into the storage and feasts on parcels!). If you are good with all this, then I don't have any more comments - for me EOT, I don't intend to continue this flame any more.
Old 06 June 2021, 19:43   #579
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Can you tell us more about this?
Short version: Gayle chip does some address overlay stuff on power on. Now if a PCMCIA card is inserted, you don’t have a chance to avoid hardware conflicts, as this is just how Gayle works and the OS cannot stop it. Which probably is the reason why Commodore made the change to card.resource from V39->V40.

We had a concept to work around this, but not enough time to implement it. So maybe next time.
Old 06 June 2021, 20:04   #580
alancfrancis

Quote:
I had to pay for manufacturing and postage of physical item I don't need, I was waiting for electronic delivery without any valid reason (and got it delivered by pure luck), the serial will be send to me via unreliable snail mail (of course it's not their fault at all, it's the coronavirus that breaks into the storage and feasts on parcels!). If you are good with all this, then I don't have any more comments - for me EOT, I don't intend to continue this flame any more.
I'm just confused, I guess. I'm just not sure why you're so angry. You knew all this when you handed over your money and it's not like your Amigas are broken without 3.2, so why buy the CD if you knew it was going to annoy you so much ?

Anyhoo, I'll stop asking questions and leave you to your fury. Hope you enjoy 3.2

Alan