English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 May 2006, 19:12   #1
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Some help with sound on real Amiga.

Can any of you guys help me out here.I have run into a problem getting sound to be heard loudly from my tv.Although i can feintly hear the sounds coming from the Amiga , it means me turning up the volume to it's fullest and even then it's still feint.

This is the second time that this has happened to an A1200 of mine and because i was unable to previously fix the first , i had to ditch it.Also i use midi to connect to my Roland Xp50 synth or at least i had done untill i had problems(i used midi without trouble for years on my first A1200).Trouble is midi signals are now not sending or being recieved either and it's seems that the two are linked - no actual sound being heard properly but ever so slightly on full volume and no midi signals attal.

I use an RGB lead to connect but again this has never been a problem.

I have so much music that i still need to finish and i was planning a break from my Synthesizer to work on my prefered choice interface Octamed.Damn it's so annoying and i just don't know what it could be.

I guess i may have to get another A1200 as they not too expensive but i fear the same thing happening again with my midi setup.Maybe it's the midi itself that is damaging sound output in which case perhaps i should get another one of those.

Your help would be very much apreciatted chaps.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:16   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

Thread moved

@Adropac2 why did you post this in news?
Old 16 May 2006, 20:40   #3
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Thread moved

@Adropac2 why did you post this in news?
Sorry havn't quite got the hang of this.
Old 16 September 2006, 11:48   #4
heroicnonsense

Is this a re-occuring problem on "Escom" A1200s? I've had two fail in the audio-department so far... working fine one minute and simply go silent (or almost silent) the next. No way to revive them it seems. Doesn't seem to be Paula as the floppy drive still works fine.

Anyone has some knowledge to this?
Old 16 September 2006, 12:28   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Most unfortunate and strange A1200 behavour, my first thought was the fact that the amiga serial port has direct lines to the paula chip.
Combining this with the fact that you use MIDI a lot, it might of been returned voltage that could of possibly damaged paula in such a away.

This being said though I am unaware that escom built a12's that had a hardware problem as heroicnonsense states, this does not suprise me either so I would defer to that knowledge

Question: does your MIDI interfacte or devices still work when connected to your and being used by your amiga?
Old 16 September 2006, 21:17   #6
heroicnonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
This being said though I am unaware that escom built a12's that had a hardware problem as heroicnonsense states, this does not suprise me either so I would defer to that knowledge
No no, not stating, just asking if anynone could shed a light on this

I'm not privvy to any information leading to that conclusion other than my own two defective "Escom" A1200s and the topic starter's.
Old 17 September 2006, 00:29   #7
Secret Vampire

There is the leaky capacitor issue that Affects C= A4000s, which in theory could happen to the A1200 too (the audio output stages are identical, though possibly laid out differently). It isn't clear why the problem occurs, one theory says it's due to using polarised capacitors to couple the output, whereas another says it's a manufacturing fault.
Certainly would be worth checking the A1200 motherboard over for any signs of capacitor leakage though.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:45   #8
Adropac2
Zone Friend

My sound problem has for some reason sorted itself out and i now have full volume and Midi.Not sure why this has been resolved as i have been using my Amiga regardless of this problem for some time with no change to sound during this time.It's strangely working now though so i don't care why it happened.

Didn't change the midi either which is a bonus considering i was just about to.
Old 06 October 2006, 22:47   #9
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Just to let you know that the sound problem was being caused by one of my power packs.Now that iv'e plugged my Goliath in though everything has gone back to being normal.Again a little strange because the Amiga ran perfectly well just without sound - perhaps it's an A500 supply or it just isn't giving out enough power.Dunno.
Old 06 October 2006, 23:56   #10
PaulyQ

I ran my old A1200 with 68040, 200 meg hard drive and MIDI using an A500 supply and never had a problem with it...EVER!

AS you say, might just be a dodgy supply.
Old 07 October 2006, 14:50   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Could be a dodgy ground or a floating current where something like a capcitor or regulator has gone bottoms up...