English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 March 2010, 05:20   #221
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
.....If the X1000 is a success then I don't see how ACube can stay in the 'market', actually I think they'll probably pull out now whatever happens.
Pass the popcorn, these are interesting times
Hyperion and A-Eon have said numerous times that the X1000 will be high end and the Sams will be low end..say expect the X1000 to be priced fairly higher than the current available Sam boards...please remember that Hyperion are also partners with ACube and I doubt they will sell ACube short
Old 05 March 2010, 06:05   #222
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
Hyperion and A-Eon have said numerous times that the X1000 will be high end and the Sams will be low end..say expect the X1000 to be priced fairly higher than the current available Sam boards...please remember that Hyperion are also partners with ACube and I doubt they will sell ACube short
Hiya,

I know that's the 'official' line but I don't buy it

This new company is Hyperion effectively taking control of both the hardware and software for the Amiga OS4 market going forward.

My predictions:

1) If successful the X1000 will be followed up with a cheaper (Xena featured) computer.
2) Hyperion plan to develop OS4.x to make use of the X1000 family of computers exclusively.
3) ACube will exit the market.

Don't forget that Hyperion had nothing to lose when they became 'partners' with ACube, it's not like they had companies beating down the door with OS4 capable hardware

Last edited by NovaCoder; 06 March 2010 at 01:36.
Old 06 March 2010, 01:34   #223
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
...I know that's the 'official' line but I don't buy it
..only time will tell Nova
Old 15 April 2010, 03:32   #224
klx300r

new X1000 web site finally up today

http://www.a-eon.com/index.html
Old 15 April 2010, 05:14   #225
Mikey_C

For those of you who haven't bothered to read my Amiga 25th Anniversary Event. The X1000 Will Make its world Debut at this event.

see http://www.amiga25th.co.uk
Old 31 May 2010, 01:26   #226
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drain View Post
Someone (I forget who) said that the PC is the new Amiga. I didn't believe it at first, but it's accurate. Both are or were technologically advanced, work as both a games console and a "serious" computer, and more expensive than competing consoles (which sell the hardware at a loss and take royalties from the software, and maintain tight control over publishing).

The PC is missing a lot of the low-budget user-friendly do-it-yourself spirit, but you still see that from time to time - free software, indy game development, and so on. I like to imagine that the Amiga in some part inspired it.
No you are wrong.

Think back to the time of C64 and Amiga launches. What do you remember?

IBM PCs costing a fortune and cheap but restrictive games consoles. And now overlap the technical ability of the original A1000 vs Consoles/EGA PC with the price of a console/EGA-PC.

And what do you have? You have a machine that costs less than half the price of a the EGA PC of 1985, is technically superior to the PC and plays better games than the £150-200 claptrap from SEGA and Nintendo with the SMS/NES in the mid 80s. Even the A500 was still able to hold a good fight against the 286 PCs costing £1000s and Sega Megadrives with £50 game cartridges. Amiga was £450 if you shopped around and games under £20 mail order, Megadrive was about £175-200 but with £50 games, PC-AT even from Amstrad was £1000 and games were between £30-40.

Today we have...Xbox360 and PS3 costing about 20% of the price of a PC tower sans monitor package capable of playing games as beautiful as Killzone II or Alan Wake on Vista @ 60fps in 1920x1080 resolution. Find me a tower that will run Alan Wake on Vista/7 as well as a £125 360 for anything like £300.

If x1000 was the new A1000 it would be £500 and out of the box would be able to run games faster and better than a 360/PS3.

Hyperion are idiots, if they had a clue they would have set out a reference design x86 PCI-E motherboard, put an i7 CPU and 2nd fastest Nvidia or ATI graphics card in there with 1gb of ram. THEN they would port OS4 to THIS machine which would satisfy the criteria of the original A1000 and A500.

Instead we get a useless machine only nerds will be interested in....again.

People constantly banging on about Intel CPUs, ie i7 not Atom low end netbook crap, being unsuitable are idiots, the only thing wrong with PCs is Microsoft Windows, the hardware is astonishing compared to the crap A-EON want to sell you for £1500 without even a top end GPU inside sorry. These people are suffering 1994 Amiga Format syndrome. Only in some fantasy world are you going to get a mass market cheap CPU/Motherboard that exceeds price/performance of i7...but then people who think that are

Apple are not stupid, their products may be crap technically in the 80s/90s compared to Commodore sure, but their business sense is spot on. This is why PPC processors were dumped for x64/x86, so if any company is still pimping a PPC CPU except if it's actually a deal to use the xbox 360 motherboard for a reference design for a new home computer as a package is also an idiot

lol
Old 31 May 2010, 10:06   #227
8bitbubsy

They're keeping some of the original Amiga philosophy, and there's no Amiga charm in an Intel compatible system. If you can't feel the difference, then I have to ask why you are still interested in the future Amiga ideas. For me, the feeling of being able to use a system from 1992 (expanded A1200) with modern applications is well worth its price. I don't use it as my main computer, but I play with it at times. The feeling is unbeatable, and I think myself that the feeling you get from your computer is also an important factor for many.

If you want superior performance and cheap costs, go buy a PC on ebay and install AROS. Or GNU/Linux and make an Amiga OS skin, it won't be the same. Performance is not everything, computers do almost have a soul and personality
If you want something that makes a difference from your PC or Mac, then consider getting what we'll see this year. Something exotic and new, not just another box that you can install Windows on. Not something every second people have.

If they made an x86 PC and ported Amiga OS 4.0 to it, it'd just be "another PC". Off with the crap, I want something else! Can't you feel the difference on what hardware you use?
If they made their own system design and let OS 4.0 run natively, it'd be something different. By that I mean no PCI Express, i7 or Geforce 480.

My point being that PCs are everywhere, sometimes we geeks want to expand our interests and toys! Expensive or not, machines can be hobby toys too. You know yourself what makes you happy, go for it.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 31 May 2010 at 10:12.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:30   #228
Hewitson

Immortal the Intel architecture is shit. Still based on a 1970's design, and always will be.

x86 will die sooner or later the same way PPC did. You can't keep expanding upon an ancient design indefinitely.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:33   #229
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Yet they had no problems with using Motorola products.
Yet Motorola isn't used in any mainstream computer anymore. For sure it's because Apple went for reducing costs (and increasing performance). Just saying that even if the NASA doesn't use it, that'll have no impact on the current market
Old 31 May 2010, 19:00   #230
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Can't you feel the difference on what hardware you use?
Um, no? I can see the charm of vintage hardware, but a new system is a new system. And an obscure new system is still a new system and I don't see how it "feels" any different if it runs the same software.

Now of course such things are subjective, but I doubt superior "feeling" of the hardware is gonna make it commercially viable. If you just want a toy, I suppose you don't care much about that. However, it does conflict a bit with the whole "future of the platform" notion.
Old 31 May 2010, 22:04   #231
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Immortal the Intel architecture is shit. Still based on a 1970's design, and always will be.

x86 will die sooner or later the same way PPC did. You can't keep expanding upon an ancient design indefinitely.
No, it is rather highly successful. And it's not a 70's design but a modern superscalar and what not RISC thing with an old CISC programming model on top. I think we will see something like Transmeta's Crusoe emulating x86 in the not so distant future. Btw, Z80 is still in use, too.