English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 May 2004, 11:42   #1
Dr.Venom

A bug that's seems to have entered is the AVI Output not working anymore in 0.8.26. The WAV output also seems to be dead. When I try the WAV output and click ok, WinUAE returns to the game running, but stops playing any sound. The configured WAV output file also doesn't get written to disk.

I've tried to retrace it to the version and the exact same problem occurs in v0.8.25. The last version with WAV output working correct is v0.8.24.

As I especially like the WAV output feature, I'm hoping this bug can be retraced and fixed for version 0.8.27.

Old 29 May 2004, 14:32   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

[moved to separate thread]

No problems with AVIOutput AVI or wave-saving here. I got similar report some months ago but I couldn't reproduce it either..
Old 29 May 2004, 21:07   #3
Dr.Venom

That's too bad, because it will make it difficult to retrace.

With regards to the wave saving: I'm guessing that there's going something wrong early on. When I select "Wave Sound (*.wav)" in the "save as type" selection and press save, then in WinUAE 0.8.24 the Output properties for Audio would change to "Audio: Wave (internal)", whereas with 0.8.25 & 0.8.26 there's no change, it remains "Audio: No codec selected". Maybe this is already part of the problem?

About saving avi: is the "AVIOutput enabled" button supposed to change status? It's a bit confusing because it always says "AVIOutput enabled", even with no codecs selected. It would be more intuitive to have this text be "AVIOutput disabled" and only AFTER selecting the audio and video codec it should change to "AVIOutput enabled". Clicking on it should then lead to clearing any selected codecs and put the status back to "AVIOutput disabled". (Btw it does clear any selected codecs after pressing the button twice, but since the button label doesn't change it makes it a bit confusing).

Anyway, hopefully the first observation (about the Output properties for audio not changing) will give a clue as to why the .wav saving isn't working for me anymore in the newer WinUAE versions.

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 29 May 2004 at 21:40.

Old 30 May 2004, 11:30   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you get anything in log after starting wave-recording? (by clicking "avioutput enabled"-button" and returning back to emulation)

Missing audio codec-message when selecting wave-recording is only visual bug.
Old 30 May 2004, 13:04   #5
Dr.Venom

No, I don't get anything in the log. BUT, it seems that my analytical skills were not around when I did the earlier analysis. AVIOutput and wave saving DOES work for me. I overlooked that pressing the AVIOutput button gives a "pressed" status. I earlier assumed it was enabled already after selecting the codecs (like in older versions), and since the text said "AVIOutput enabled" and returning to the emulation made sound stop playing made me assume the feature was buggy...

So, the saving of wave and avi seems to be solved now, but it's apparent for me that things are made a bit confusing by the missing "Wave (internal)" after selecting .wav and the counterintuitive behaviour of the AVIOutput button, which should have its label changed when going from enabling <-> disabling the AVIOutput. So I'll just modify my previous comment here to improve it:

It would be more intuitive to have the button text be "Enable AVIOutput" and after clicking it should change to "AVIOutput enabled". Clicking again on it should then put the status back to "Enable AVIOutput". Small difference, but an important one

I still managed to find a real bug though: the output file is always saved with the last 4 letters cut off from the filename. So if I save "E:\Download\Hybris.wav", then I end up with the file "Hy.wav" in my downloads dir. If I try to save "12345.wav" in the same dir, then I end up with a file called "1.wav". And if I save "E:\Download\Hybris1234.wav" then I end up with the file "Hybris.wav", which is the filename I need

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 30 May 2004 at 13:17.