English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 09 May 2023, 20:26   #21
spacebiscuit

Thanks, I've replaced my own SYS:System/BMenu with the one from the above archive.

After rebooting I don't see any button menu or any differences at all.
Old 09 May 2023, 21:37   #22
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I don't know what doesn't work for you mate.

In order to fill the lists (GamesMenu, DemosMenu, OthersMenu) there are some steps you need to do first...

For example for games, you need to have an A-Games: assign to your WHDLoad games drawer.
When you do, you go to the /BMenu/Files/ drawer and you run the AddGames script which scans all your A-Games: volume for games, then sorts it and adds it as a list that the GamesMenu can read.

Same happens for DemosMenu.
For adding stuff to OtherMenu you just edit the file /BMenu/Files/OtherMenu/OtherMenu.menu adding the path to the things you want to have on the list (for example SYS:Tools/TextEdit)
If you want to sort the list based on name, you run the /BMenu/Files/SortOther script and your OtherMenu is ready as well.

Dunno if I can help you more sadly :/
Old 09 May 2023, 21:49   #23
AMIGASYSTEM

spacebiscuit, in my opinion you are wrong to clone Classic WB, it has too many assigns and too much scattering of data.

In my opinion you need to install "only" the menus you need from scratch, only then we can help you.
Old 09 May 2023, 23:54   #24
spacebiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
spacebiscuit, in my opinion you are wrong to clone Classic WB, it has too many assigns and too much scattering of data.
Yes you're right, I am going to go away and read the readme's for button menu and lazybench and set these up from scratch as classic 68k is too complex to simply copy across it seems. I'll get there.
Old 10 May 2023, 09:56   #25
AMIGASYSTEM

@spacebiscuit

Hi, I sent you an archive that contains all ClassiCWB Menus working on any Amiga OS:

What you need to do is this:

- Copy the contents of Copy-Sys to your system, copy to the same folders.

- The menus will work if you copy all the contents of my DH1 folder into your own volume which must have the name DH1.

- If you do not have a DH1 Volume, copy everything to any volume of yours, all in the root (do not use subfolders). Once this is done edit my "Assign-All" file and replace DH1 with the name of your volume.

- Before running the menus run "Assign-All", if you want you can add these Assigns in your user-startup, this way it will not be needed every time.

- The "MenuUtility" folder is not configured, copy the applications that are missing and change the Menu paths with "ButtonMenu," found in MenuProgram

Assignments are necessary because "LBench" scripts are executables that include assigned paths!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 10 May 2023 at 10:35.
Old 10 May 2023, 20:14   #26
spacebiscuit

Everyone should be made to use an antiquated OS to really appreciate how finely tuned todays' offerings are

It becomes apparent why Windows succeeded where Amiga failed. It's exhausting to do anything - is the icon an executable or is it a shortcut, does Amiga OS even use the concept of a shortcut - it's all smoke and mirrors and guess work There is no consistency in appearance since each icon seems to be custom.

A couple of questions

1. How do you copy or move something to the desktop. For example there is a "Run" icon in the BMenu folder, if I drag it to the desktop next time I reboot it disappears. Can't I move it permanently?

2. In BMenu/files there is an icon (is it a short-cut I have no idea). If I click it I get a message

"Please insert volume VNC in any drive"

What is VNC - I never heard or saw this before?

3. Where is the Assign-Startup? In a video tutorial it was accessed by a button menu from the workbench - System->Assign but I don't have that. It looks like is located at:

SYS:S:Assign-Startup

- but in this location I have no such file.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 May 2023, 20:37   #27
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

If you start making your own workbench based on your needs, you're likely never go back to compilations cause you know EXACTLY what you made and what you tinkered making it exactly per your need.
It's really satisfying transforming your workbench from just 4 color icon with minimal things into personalized workspace.
This is the beauty of the AmigaOS. It's just that many people missed that era and find hard to adjust coming from Windows/MacOS etc. Do you remember what Linux used to be back in the days when going into X was a bit of a lol (comparing to the Amiga)?
Just give it a bit of time, ask and you'll be fine EAB is full of people that are willing to help you out in your journey. Just make the right questions and don't give up

Onto your questions now:
1. Moving an icon doesn't exactly MOVE it (if you check via DOpus or CLI you will see that the file is there where you had it
The correct way to bring an icon from a drawer into the workbench screen is to just select it and use from menus "Icons --> Leave Out". That will put the icon outside and with right click and "Icons --> Put away" it returns to where it was... Isn't that lovely? You can also put it wherever you want and Snapshot it there for eternity :P

2. VNC is an advanced version of CON handler (from the archive ViNCEd by Thomas Richter) that you can find in Aminet. It upgrades your shell with many features (like tab-completion and many more) and by default replaces CLI window declarations of CON with VNC. Normally if you right click the icon and go into Information you can change the VNC into CON and it will work correctly.

3. ClassicWB uses a script called Assign-Startup in order to gather there ALL the assigns for better editing (as by default most assigns go into User-Startup).
You have no reason to copy this file. You can use your own assigns into User-Startup just fine and get rid of this button from ButtonMenu
If you like it that much, you can always make an S:Assign-Startup file, copy there all your assign from User-Startup and put a declaration of:
Execute S:Assign-Startup
...as first line of your User-Startup

Last edited by mfilos; 10 May 2023 at 20:43.
Old 10 May 2023, 21:22   #28
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebiscuit View Post

A couple of questions

1. How do you copy or move something to the desktop. For example there is a "Run" icon in the BMenu folder, if I drag it to the desktop next time I reboot it disappears. Can't I move it permanently?

As you've been told, it's not much different from Windows, right click Mouse on icon, "menu Icons" and choose "leave Out", to put the icon back, always right click "Put Away"

You have to be careful, it is not sumplice link, if you delete that icon, you will also delete its file.

Also besides files you can also move folders, Applications icons, pretty much everything
Old 11 May 2023, 16:42   #29
spacebiscuit

Ha - so when I was trying to figure out how to copy an icon to the desktop I did see "leave out" - I must have tried every other option. Yes I see quite neat and simple

So I have made some progress. I managed the following:

1. I copied "Run" from BMenu to the desktop and now I see it when I reboot, when i click I see a button menu

2. When I click the WHDLoad button and then Games it was asking for mt to assign A-Games. As suggested I added an assign to SYS:S/User-Startup - so now I am no longer prompted to assign A-Games when I reboot.

3. Next step I tried to the script to add games, as mentioned I was getting a message asking me to assign VNC, as suggested I edited the icon to use CON and now I can run AddGames etc.

However when I run AddGames I see that only 2 or 3 items have been added - there should be 25 or so. When I have run this on the Classic 68k I get the full list of games so just wondering why I don't this time around. Milfos I think i took your copy archive and copied that to my setup, could there be something configured in your setup causing this?

Anyway, progress at last it seems
Old 11 May 2023, 18:45   #30
AMIGASYSTEM

Are you using the archive I sent you ?

if so you don't have to assign in the user-startup "only" A-Games, but also the other Assign that I included you in the Assig-All file

In AddGames you are to add the games you want !
Old 11 May 2023, 21:14   #31
spacebiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Are you using the archive I sent you ?
!
Not entirely, I've bene mounting it and studying it trying to figure things out. I went with the archive that Milfos sent since he sent it first and I had half gotten something working
Old 11 May 2023, 21:23   #32
AMIGASYSTEM

Don't mix things otherwise you complicate the procedures more !

The package I sent you has been simplified and eliminated unnecessary things, and it can be moved anywhere and will always work.
Old 12 May 2023, 16:33   #33
spacebiscuit

Ok my error, I think the lha files I had in my Games directory were not actually extracted but were copies of the original zips. I extracted these now and when I run the add games script they are added to the games list - so all good.

I'd now like to edit the buttons and associated options of the principle menu that appears when I click the RUN icon in BMenu:

I've checked all the file in my Bmenu folder but I can't find anytihng that seemingly relates to the config of these menu items.

Thanks.
Old 12 May 2023, 16:41   #34
AMIGASYSTEM

In the archive I sent you "RUN icon in BMenu" is well configured, and all the buttons in the menu work perfectly, if you haven't moved/changed anything if you run Assign-All
Old 12 May 2023, 16:41   #35
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

This is correct.
The entries are not text files.

Just open the ButtonMenu application and load the file "Run" and you'll be set
There you can add new buttons, delete current ones or change layout of the table etc.
Old 20 June 2023, 11:04   #36
wobbly

AMIGASYSTEM did you put the zip in the zone ?
Old 04 July 2023, 22:48   #37
spacebiscuit

Hi guys - returning to this after a break from the Amiga due to other commitments.

Well positive news in that I have the Lazymenu working mostly, WHD Load is working nicely and I've been playing around with the program and now have a better understanding of how it works.

I also managed to install Directory Opus myself, but I am trying to now do is make open via the Dopus Lazymenu button. I can see that the button currently executes the script:

Scripts/Dopus

I can see in the Scripts folder the corresponding Dopus script which is:

A-Programs: DOpus
DirectoryOpus -X -x

In my user assign I added:

Assign A-Programs: SYS:Tools

In my Tools folder I have a 'DOpus' folder and inside that is the DirectroyOpus executable.

If I try to open the DOpus script I get:

DirectoryOpus: unknown command

Do I need to assign DirectoryOpus to the executable or similar? I think I am close, what am I missing?

Thanks!