English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 08 April 2009, 09:04   #1
pmc
gone

What gives you coding inspiration?

What gives you coding inspiration?

How do you guys come up with the ideas for the routines you code?

How did you get the idea to do something that had never been done before and then go about making the code to show what you could see in your mind's eye?

Are you a follower, disassembling other people's code, working out what's going on and then doing your own versions or are you a leader and innovator blazing a trail with experimentation and ingenuity?

Come on people, tell all!
Old 08 April 2009, 09:14   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Erm, mainly it's my boss telling me to f*cking get it to work
If I do some coding for fun I like to try different approaches and see how they work both in terms of performance and usability. Well maybe I should mention that I not much (if at all) a game/demo coder
Old 08 April 2009, 09:32   #3
seuden
uber cool demi god

/me wishes he could code.
Old 08 April 2009, 09:35   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

We can all code seuden, we just need to give a whistle.

Seriously though, whilst I am no demo/game coder, I do enjoy the odd bit of coding here and there.

Most of my inspiration comes from either being bored of doing something else, or just walking away from the coding for a while and thinking about it, rather than coding it.

Oh and there's laying wide awake in the middle of the night because you can't sleep. That always helps.
Old 08 April 2009, 09:47   #5
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
We can all code seuden, we just need to give a whistle.

Seriously though, whilst I am no demo/game coder, I do enjoy the odd bit of coding here and there.

Most of my inspiration comes from either being bored of doing something else, or just walking away from the coding for a while and thinking about it, rather than coding it.

Oh and there's laying wide awake in the middle of the night because you can't sleep. That always helps.
It's always something that I've wanted to do but I've just never even known where to start. I envy the guys that can, I think it's awesome some of the things the guys can do on EAB.
Old 08 April 2009, 10:59   #6
pmc
gone

@ Seuden: Where to start? Get yourself an assembler (Devpac, ASMOne, Phxass etc.), a text copy of the Hardware Reference Manual and a second hand book on 68000 assembly programming. Go on, give it a try, you know you want to.
Old 08 April 2009, 12:17   #7
Asman

All bad coded games.
Old 08 April 2009, 13:12   #8
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
@ Seuden: Where to start? Get yourself an assembler (Devpac, ASMOne, Phxass etc.), a text copy of the Hardware Reference Manual and a second hand book on 68000 assembly programming. Go on, give it a try, you know you want to.
I do know I want to, it's also having the time. Well actually we have Friday off so maybe I can have a butchers then, be sure that I'll probably be posting a lot if I do get started tho, hehe.
Old 08 April 2009, 13:22   #9
Parsec

I spend my working day coding and not doing much design, but when I'm at home I have a big cup of tea, and think over how to build stuff i.e design patterns etc.

Tea, well recommended.
Old 08 April 2009, 19:07   #10
Ed Cruse

I mostly code when I have a need for a program to do something, then I'll improve it when I'm bored. My latest project was a digital graphic equalizer, because I started doing sound effects for the theater group I belong to. There's usually always a need, and then that gives me a good reason to program.
Old 08 April 2009, 19:59   #11
keropi

you are just a bunch of blatant liars.... come on , admit that you have them pictures of naked ladies hanging on yer walls for "insipiration" be it for coding or <insert activity here>

Last edited by keropi; 09 April 2009 at 01:37.
Old 08 April 2009, 21:12   #12
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

for me, the starting block comes with the idea of what it will look like or what i want it to do / achieve.

working out how to actually get there is the 'creative' bit (dunno if id call it 'inspiration' though) in that i generally dont know how i'm gonna do it until i'm doing it, or at least until i've started building up a basis. It's the same with the (very little) coding i do at work. I have the IN and the OUT, and i just start trying to make one become the other!

probably why it takes me so sodding long to finish anything!
Old 09 April 2009, 16:48   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Me, I generally get an idea in my head, often for no apparent reason, and then I start doing it (anything not work related I mean). Most of the time it is the inquisitive part of myself that gets me to code, when I start to think about "how the hell is/was this done?", I generally want to see if I can do it myself.

For example, one thing I want to figure out one day is how the hell they did a game like Lotus 2, drawing the road with perspective correction and such, running at lightning speed on a bog standard A500. Fascinating question, but for now I'm drawing a blank with no research documents to help me out
Old 09 April 2009, 16:49   #14
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Greetings,
Pure and simple need, if I need it, I code it, but only in PIC.

68000 isn't that a bit harder than 6502?
Old 09 April 2009, 20:20   #15
Leffmann

I don't code a lot anymore, but when I do it's usually because I want to make sure I've understood something fully or that I've been right in my assumptions about how something works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
68000 isn't that a bit harder than 6502?
On the contrary. The 68000 has 32bit registers and a very powerful and extended instruction set. It is extremely convenient to program.
Old 10 April 2009, 05:01   #16
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I don't code a lot anymore, but when I do it's usually because I want to make sure I've understood something fully or that I've been right in my assumptions about how something works.

On the contrary. The 68000 has 32bit registers and a very powerful and extended instruction set. It is extremely convenient to program.
I bet it is, but it doesn't confine you to a simple 64 Kb of RAM, plus I don't know the Kernal of the Amiga.
Old 10 April 2009, 05:42   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Music and Graphics help,

When I code, I have two ways, obviously formal code is pretty much basic with no real flair however personally coding, I have found inspiration for complex loops by listerning to music, espcially complex drum loops.

I use commenting with a "what am I listerning to" at the time of writing.

I love graphics, I find that at times writing music and being inspired to do graphic work / pixel art, It then moves me onto coding
Old 10 April 2009, 09:02   #18
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Music and Graphics help,

When I code, I have two ways, obviously formal code is pretty much basic with no real flair however personally coding, I have found inspiration for complex loops by listerning to music, espcially complex drum loops.

I use commenting with a "what am I listerning to" at the time of writing.

I love graphics, I find that at times writing music and being inspired to do graphic work / pixel art, It then moves me onto coding
I highly recommend you start listening to Aphex Twin, if you aren't already.
Old 10 April 2009, 11:29   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
I highly recommend you start listening to Aphex Twin, if you aren't already.
Depends on the album really. Some may give you inspiration, others will liquify your earwax
Old 10 April 2009, 14:49   #20
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Depends on the album really. Some may give you inspiration, others will liquify your earwax
I had a serious LOL attack after reading this, thankyou

I would listen to Come To Daddy, or Arched Maid Via RDJ whilst programming a random number generator.

Paul