English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 September 2022, 01:51   #1
jcgeuze

Amiga Joystick Games

Just noticed that i'm having a hard time enjoying Amiga games that require a joystick while games that require the mouse seem to have aged much better.

Maybe i'm spoiled with modern console controllers, or i just like strategic games better.

Just wondering if there are more people who found the joystick experience disappointing after trying it again 20 years later.
Old 06 September 2022, 07:15   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's a different muscle memory for sure Using a controller for platformers and then going back to play them using a joystick feels weird. That's why today I prefer to use a controller and using a second button to jump. If I use a joystick for a while it gets 'better' though. If somebody never switched to use a controller for certain types of games I can imagine it feels weird for them to use a controller. Force of habit
Old 06 September 2022, 10:05   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Are you playing with the joystick you're used to though? I would only be able to play with my favorite "the Arcade" stick. That was already true back in the day, I sometimes had to play with a different joystick when at a friend and it felt wrong.
Old 06 September 2022, 11:34   #4
DisasterIncarna

arcadey/clunky sticks never did it for me back then or now, back in the day my go-to joysticks were the comp.pro.5000, python joysticks and the speedking.

The python was my fave by far, then the comp.pro, then the speedking, but nowadays, the python is still pretty good, still use it on my Chameleon64 and have a usb adapter to connect it to the pc for FS-UAE/WinUAE, i for some reason struggle with my 2 comp.pro's which is a big surprise and the speedking type seems a lot better in my hands which i really wasnt expecting. Tried and hated all joypad type controllers, i find i only like them for a select few games, maybe racing games like lotus? for me its joysticks/mice/keyboard only.

So yeah, maybe what "was" great when i was younger isnt that hot these days, maybe try a bigger variety, if possible ofc. I havent tried any of the "modern" remakes yet, still using the old and slowly breaking down originals, will have to take the plunge eventually tho, they wont last forever.
Old 06 September 2022, 18:14   #5
jcgeuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
arcadey/clunky sticks never did it for me back then or now, back in the day my go-to joysticks were the comp.pro.5000, python joysticks and the speedking.

The python was my fave by far, then the comp.pro, then the speedking, but nowadays, the python is still pretty good, still use it on my Chameleon64 and have a usb adapter to connect it to the pc for FS-UAE/WinUAE, i for some reason struggle with my 2 comp.pro's which is a big surprise and the speedking type seems a lot better in my hands which i really wasnt expecting. Tried and hated all joypad type controllers, i find i only like them for a select few games, maybe racing games like lotus? for me its joysticks/mice/keyboard only.

So yeah, maybe what "was" great when i was younger isnt that hot these days, maybe try a bigger variety, if possible ofc. I havent tried any of the "modern" remakes yet, still using the old and slowly breaking down originals, will have to take the plunge eventually tho, they wont last forever.
I've tried a bunch of joysticks and pads, they all sucked. I've bought the Kickstarter joystick from a while ago. I hope that one will work for me
Old 06 September 2022, 19:41   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Well that would be exactly my point. So if you would now try to play with an arcade stick because that is what you managed to get your hands on, you can't then say "Oh no I've lost the touch". You never had it... with the particular joystick you're holding. You can't lose what you never had.
Old 15 September 2022, 15:13   #7
TommyTomorrow

Of course, I have two classic joysticks but now I prefer to play an arcade stick, less often on a gamepad (when it comes to retro equipment, of course).
Old 15 September 2022, 19:32   #8
seuden
uber cool demi god

For years I used an sms controller on my Amiga for Sensible Soccer then about 5 years ago I tried it with a joystick and have never looked back.
Old 16 September 2022, 11:08   #9
TommyTomorrow

"Banana shooting" in SWOS is much easier with joystick than SMS gamepad
Old 17 September 2022, 08:42   #10
zx80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgeuze View Post
Just noticed that i'm having a hard time enjoying Amiga games that require a joystick while games that require the mouse seem to have aged much better.
I played most of my time on my real Amiga 500 and got more interested in programming after Commodore went bankrupt.

Just found my way back on simulated Amiga recently and the good old Competition Pro just feels right and works as good as back in 1993. However I never used modern Controllers for more than a minute or so in my entire live.

My kids however can play Bubble Bobble, Blood Money etc. only with the PS4 Controller, while their dad uses the Competition Pro
Old 17 September 2022, 16:30   #11
Zak
Zap´em

I mostly play with WinUAE and an Xbox gamepad. There are games that are a hassle to play and others play smooth. I have no problem playing my favorite Goal!. Also well are games like Giana Sisters or Rick Dangerous. Others are a pain. In Test Drive I find it difficult to steer. Pressing up left/up right ona a pad is more difficult than pressing the fire button for acceleration and then plain left/right. That's why Supercars and Lotus are better with pad.
Old 25 September 2022, 10:48   #12
stobros

Same here, joystick experience is very, very disappointing for me as well.
Old 25 September 2022, 16:16   #13
Hewitson

The only thing I find disappointing about the joystick is how poorly it was utilised.

Having to hold the stick UP to accelerate or jump? What were they smoking?
Old 26 September 2022, 07:37   #14
Jope
-

I'm in the still happy using a joystick camp. Just use one with a short throw and accurate directions and gaming is fine. Use a long throw vague joystick and gaming sucks.
Old 23 October 2022, 00:39   #15
Weasel Fierce

No problem here. I have both pads and joystick for the miggy. Anything that uses diagonals doesn't play well with a pad in my opinion.
Old 23 October 2022, 00:39   #16
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
The only thing I find disappointing about the joystick is how poorly it was utilised.

Having to hold the stick UP to accelerate or jump? What were they smoking?
Pushing up makes the character go up? Always seemed perfectly logical to me
Old 23 October 2022, 04:33   #17
QuikSanz

The only joystick I use is analog,a must for a good flight sim.

Chris
Old 23 October 2022, 05:00   #18
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Amen!
Old 23 October 2022, 07:47   #19
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Thank you for saying it out loud!
Old 23 October 2022, 08:03   #20
ransom1122

I agree when I play Giana Sisters, Quik n Silva, Jim Power, etc Pushing UP or UP-Right to diagonal jump seems more natural, because that's the direction I want to go too. TBH even Chaos Engine is played better on Joystick Vs Gamepad IMO

Using a seperate Button to Jump seems wrong, in that event all you do with Joystick is move left or right which seems to basically limit joystick movement.

Fire Buttons for SHMUPS are OK and as designed ie Project X, Apidya.

WHDLoad patches that remap Key Stroke Powerups like Flying Shark (Space Bar) for Bombs to an allocated Fire button is a good feature.

Also as said in previous posts doing a banana kick in sensi soccer is impossible with Gamepad. On a Joystick its easy because of the range of movement.

Not all games are playable on gamepad, but as an alternative it's not too bad