English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04 April 2021, 15:57   #1081
Tekk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19
I just was wondering if there was any news concerning the developments of 3.2. Cheers..
Tekk is offline  
Old 04 April 2021, 16:14   #1082
gulliver
BoingBagged

gulliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 43
Posts: 2,322
- Translations are 95% finished.
- There was an Easter GlowIcons invitation: https://www.a1k.org/forum/index.php?threads/78823/
- Only minor work continues. Mostly testing related.
gulliver is offline  
Old 14 April 2021, 05:39   #1083
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

gdonner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Elkhart / United States
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by btp View Post
Really wonderful to hear that the development team has respected the heritage of the OS and Commodore's original vision for its evolution.

I'm very excited for this release!
Indeed! 3.2 is very nice--many substantial practical improvements, numerous solid bug fixes, and feels much snappier/more responsive than 3.1.4; well worth the upgrade when it's released.

Incidentally, if anyone has a color or better quality copy of the DevCon 93 notes ("Amiga User Interface Directions" in particular w/Addendum) than already available online, I'd love to get a copy. A while ago on eBay, someone had a physical copy of the notes for sale, but they were asking a bit more than I was willing to pay. :-|

Last edited by gdonner; 14 April 2021 at 06:00.
gdonner is offline  
Old 14 April 2021, 18:44   #1084
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 47
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
Indeed! 3.2 is very nice--many substantial practical improvements, numerous solid bug fixes, and feels much snappier/more responsive than 3.1.4; well worth the upgrade when it's released.

8><---
That moment when you realize you have 11 Amigas that could all use the new ROMs ;-)
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 14 April 2021, 19:44   #1085
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

gdonner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Elkhart / United States
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
That moment when you realize you have 11 Amigas that could all use the new ROMs ;-)
Oy vey! Two Amigas are enough for me (A3000 and A4000), but I'm learning that it's not uncommon for many Amiga owners to have a lot more in their possession. The most I've personally heard of is 17..!
gdonner is offline  
Old 15 April 2021, 09:53   #1086
fxgogo
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Richmond / U.K.
Posts: 340
I have two machines, both of which are close to full restoration. I doubt I will get anymore. The effort and cost was fun, but not again. Running FPGA or emulation versions of 3.2 will be in my long term future.
fxgogo is offline  
Old 19 April 2021, 16:59   #1087
coldacid
WinUAE 1200/40, V4SA
coldacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Candinavia
Posts: 267
Will 3.2 support separate font/colour for icon text on the workbench itself separate from workbench windows? My guess is not, but I'd love that down the road so I can use dark background pictures along with lighter windows and still maintain good contrast for the icon text in each.
coldacid is offline  
Old 19 April 2021, 19:11   #1088
boemann
AmigaOS 3.2 Developer

 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Frederiksberg
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Will 3.2 support separate font/colour for icon text on the workbench itself separate from workbench windows? My guess is not, but I'd love that down the road so I can use dark background pictures along with lighter windows and still maintain good contrast for the icon text in each.
It wont but it is indeed a good idea down the road
boemann is offline  
Old 19 April 2021, 20:12   #1089
jdb78
Registered User

jdb78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neckargem√ľnd/Germany
Age: 42
Posts: 21
You people make me crave to get my Amiga up and running again. It is almost like back then when I bought my first OS 3.1 and started exploring all the new features. I can't wait to get my hands on OS3.2. I really appreciate all your hard work you put into this aged system.
jdb78 is offline  
Old 20 April 2021, 10:29   #1090
Laupert
Registered User

Laupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Norway
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
You people make me crave to get my Amiga up and running again. It is almost like back then when I bought my first OS 3.1 and started exploring all the new features. I can't wait to get my hands on OS3.2. I really appreciate all your hard work you put into this aged system.
Why would anyone have an Amiga that isn't up and running?
Laupert is offline  
Old 20 April 2021, 23:52   #1091
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 47
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
You people make me crave to get my Amiga up and running again. It is almost like back then when I bought my first OS 3.1 and started exploring all the new features. I can't wait to get my hands on OS3.2. I really appreciate all your hard work you put into this aged system.
Putting a physical 3.2 ROM into your real Amiga is more fun than copying rom files to the WinUAE folder ;-)
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 21 April 2021, 07:53   #1092
klx300r
Registered User
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 51
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Putting a physical 3.2 ROM into your real Amiga is more fun than copying rom files to the WinUAE folder ;-)
true but not so much fun taking apart your tower with Mediator to get to the roms eh
klx300r is offline  
Old 21 April 2021, 09:00   #1093
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 2,071
Was there anything done on the topic of theming and maneuvering workbench folders?
That whole palette management and how windows look like leaves me scratching my head often enough.
Also it's tiresome to open up all these new windows all the times. A simple 'up' or 'back' gadget would be all I want.
Steril707 is offline  
Old 21 April 2021, 15:27   #1094
amipal
Registered User

amipal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Saltdean, United Kingdom
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
true but not so much fun taking apart your tower with Mediator to get to the roms eh
Oh dear lord, don't remind me... I've got a FastATA in mine too!
amipal is offline  
Old 06 May 2021, 13:41   #1095
Greyspirit
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Groton / USA
Posts: 34
I can't wait. 55 pages of discussion this far took a while to read. Got a pair of A500's at present. Run my BBS using WinUAE to reduce wear and tear on physical machines which are better suited to Backing up Floppies.
Was hoping for Arexx to be updated a little to add functions specified in the REXX standard. I can't do assembly so unfortunately I can't help with it.
What I can do is request better documentation on Arexx libs and better (more complete) examples for writing them.

ps. don't suppose someone could throw together a cli based rlogin client (std in/out)? Looks like nobody ever did one and I don't know enough C/C++ to figure out how to work around fork() in BSD 4.2/4.3 source or to do one from scratch myself.
Greyspirit is offline  
Old 06 May 2021, 20:44   #1096
boemann
AmigaOS 3.2 Developer

 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Frederiksberg
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyspirit View Post
I can't wait. 55 pages of discussion this far took a while to read. Got a pair of A500's at present. Run my BBS using WinUAE to reduce wear and tear on physical machines which are better suited to Backing up Floppies.
Was hoping for Arexx to be updated a little to add functions specified in the REXX standard. I can't do assembly so unfortunately I can't help with it.
What I can do is request better documentation on Arexx libs and better (more complete) examples for writing them.
.
What functions are you thinking of specifically, and what documentation are you lacking?
boemann is offline  
Old 06 May 2021, 21:00   #1097
mnemo
MTN/SPT

mnemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Germany
Age: 50
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Putting a physical 3.2 ROM into your real Amiga is more fun than copying rom files to the WinUAE folder ;-)
I'd just copy the SuperKickstart version to LIBS:. ;-)
mnemo is offline  
Old 07 May 2021, 02:45   #1098
Greyspirit
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Groton / USA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
What functions are you thinking of specifically, and what documentation are you lacking?
two functions present in later REXX versions right off top of my head along with worked out subs to implement them but would be good to have out of the box. Thinking there were others but I'm brain fried tonight.

b2x: return c2x(b2c(arg(1)))
x2b: return c2b(x2c(arg(1)))


In regards to the documentation, I've found the instructions for writing Arexx libs in the NDK to be very hard to follow and very terse. If it could be expounded on with more examples it would help greatly as I tend to need examples. Other than that, I haven't been able to find source for any other Rexx library to compare/study.
I was able to translate Telengard from C64 basic to Arexx for my bbs but I can't figure out how to do a library :/
Greyspirit is offline  
Old 07 May 2021, 15:42   #1099
boemann
AmigaOS 3.2 Developer

 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Frederiksberg
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyspirit View Post
two functions present in later REXX versions right off top of my head/
Entered into our wishlist - if it is at all possible to modify the arexx is far more questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyspirit View Post
In regards to the documentation, I've found the instructions for writing Arexx libs in the NDK to be very hard to follow and very terse./
I've noted it down as well
boemann is offline  
Old 07 May 2021, 20:37   #1100
kamelito
Zone Friend

kamelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Posts: 1,385
A doc about finding bugs in an application would be nice.
Tools to use, how to find the culprit using stack traces etc. Something like Grim reaper would be nice with a way to disassemble the program that crashed...
I guess Thor tools and libraries could be used with CBM ones I guess.
kamelito is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AmigaOS 3.1.x v 3.9 steve_mynott New to Emulation or Amiga scene 35 19 April 2020 06:23
AmigaOS 3.9 PoLoMoTo support.WinUAE 8 27 August 2011 18:06
AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 maddoc666 support.Apps 12 22 February 2010 08:02
AmigaOS koncool request.Apps 6 04 June 2003 17:45
AmigaOS XL sturme New to Emulation or Amiga scene 4 15 January 2002 02:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.14565 seconds with 14 queries