English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 March 2021, 07:33   #21
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
HA its no Vampire
Lol I think Vampire is overkill for WHDLoad...unless it has AGA support (somehow) in which case you could make it a portable A600!
Old 20 March 2021, 12:23   #22
Torti-the-Smurf

I could not agree more.
Thats why i love the Furia so much. It is still a classic Amiga.

(Sure, the Amiga is expandable with the Vampire but that makes it just like an RTG Amiga, which is fine, but kind a boring for me nowadays.
(i had it all back in the day)

Nowadays a 16-Bit Amiga (AGA is not really relevant for me)
with 68020 and fast-ram is really my dream machine AND the A600 is just so cute
Old 20 March 2021, 12:28   #23
lesta_smsc

I have to say the A600 has a special place in my heart... my 1st Amiga was A600HD - I still have it in storage (along with original HDD and extras) and various accessories including CDROM drive! I am worried it is beyond repair as over 20 years ago that I last used it... one day it will resurface for museum lol.

I managed to get shell to boot with just utilising 130k of RAM or thereabouts. Reduced HDD buffers and reduced to 2 bit planes! I would prefer no shell window either and nothing displayed but not sure how to do that. Lol
Old 21 March 2021, 23:05   #24
lesta_smsc

UPDATE: Thought of an idea! I'll modify the guide for Beneath A Steel Sky so it still boots from the menu but install calls on installed file (if that is possible).

As for Monkey Island - I can boot it via command line but unless I modify the AG-Launch to boot in 2 colours (1 bitplane) then it is unlikely to have enough memory for the launcher so might convert this to be HD installed as well.
Old 22 March 2021, 13:32   #25
lesta_smsc

Update yet again!

Beneath A Steel Sky works great! Is there anyway to add voice like there is with CD32 eg by copying over sound files/applying any patches?

I'm struggling with Monkey Island 2 though. It asks for protection code on boot - whilst I can get past this I'm hoping the cracked version to save me getting out the protection manual! I've tried copying over installer to cracked ADF but no joy... there is no installer on cracked ADF?
Old 22 March 2021, 15:17   #26
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Update yet again!

Beneath A Steel Sky works great! Is there anyway to add voice like there is with CD32 eg by copying over sound files/applying any patches?
Definitely possible to copy over from CD32 --> Hard Drive; as there are no audio tracks.

Not sure it will work on ECS though.

Quote:
I'm struggling with Monkey Island 2 though. It asks for protection code on boot - whilst I can get past this I'm hoping the cracked version to save me getting out the protection manual! I've tried copying over installer to cracked ADF but no joy... there is no installer on cracked ADF?
Hmmm, I'm sure I had this working. You should be able to copy the cracked game exe over to your installed path on the hard drive.

Or use the "Kixx budget" version without any protection:
/TheZone/files/_2015/MonkeyIsland2 (Kixx) [Not in TOSEC I belive].zip

Last edited by DamienD; 22 March 2021 at 15:40.
Old 22 March 2021, 18:34   #27
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Definitely possible to copy over from CD32 --> Hard Drive; as there are no audio tracks.

Not sure it will work on ECS though.
I will see if I can extract audio. Although considering the original floppy version didn't have audio as such an option I think a modified CD32 version would be needed.

@jotd does cd32load help in this situation?

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm sure I had this working. You should be able to copy the cracked game exe over to your installed path on the hard drive.

Or use the "Kixx budget" version without any protection:
/TheZone/files/_2015/MonkeyIsland2 (Kixx) [Not in TOSEC I belive].zip
I tried copying Monkey2 across but it threw a memory error (although the game did load but due to this problem I don't want to keep this dirty hack).

I never thought of the Kixx version but it needs to have installer. The files in theory for both original and cracked would have been the same except for the initial disk or Monkey2 loader but this failed...
Old 22 March 2021, 18:57   #28
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I will see if I can extract audio. Although considering the original floppy version didn't have audio as such an option I think a modified CD32 version would be needed.
Just try copying all files off the CD32 disk to hard drive; then maybe adjust the startup-sequence if required and test

Quote:
I never thought of the Kixx version but it needs to have installer. The files in theory for both original and cracked would have been the same except for the initial disk or Monkey2 loader but this failed...
It does

...and even if it didn't, you could just copy / use the one from the original set
Old 22 March 2021, 19:04   #29
Torti-the-Smurf

Beneath a Steel Sky CD32 runs on OCS/ECS, there is no true AGA version.

Just another case where the OCS/ECS version was burned to a CompactDisc an sold as a "CD32 game".
Old 22 March 2021, 19:16   #30
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just another case where the OCS/ECS version was burned to a CompactDisc an sold as a "CD32 game".
Well not really; it has additional speech over the floppy disk version
Old 22 March 2021, 19:55   #31
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Beneath a Steel Sky CD32 runs on OCS/ECS, there is no true AGA version.

Hmmm that's positive. May it will work then...
Quote:
Exactly. But they made a DOS talkie version of Monkey Island which was great!
Old 22 March 2021, 20:09   #32
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Not really. The Enhanced DOS version from Monkey Island had the new game interface from part 2 and CDDA music, but it's no talkie version. First talkie versions of part 1 and 2 are the special editions from 2009/2010. There's a fan made talkies though that combines the old CD DOS version with the speech taken from the newer SE.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 22 March 2021 at 20:24.
Old 23 March 2021, 02:26   #33
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There's a fan made talkies though that combines the old CD DOS version with the speech taken from the newer SE.
Exactly, but I've used this version in true dos mode and it works! If there was a fan made conversion possible on the Amiga that would be great

As for Beneath a Steel Sky CD32 version works on A600! Now I have the speech version which is amazing as never thought this would be possible. You have to copy the contents of "Libs" folder into "System:Libs" and then move the SteelSky out of the "_" folder into main folder - that's it!

Still need to do MI2 at some point.
UPDATE: It works! Thank you DamienD for the Kixx version!

My aim is to have the benefits of WHDLoad as much as possible, but where needed to have HD installed versions for those that fail to run on A600 2MB RAM. To make it even nicer, I have modified the guide files to they direct to the install executable - great!

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 23 March 2021 at 03:01.
Old 23 March 2021, 12:01   #34
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
My aim is to have the benefits of WHDLoad as much as possible, but where needed to have HD installed versions for those that fail to run on A600 2MB RAM. To make it even nicer, I have modified the guide files to they direct to the install executable - great!
On your spec Amiga; native versions are always better than WHDLoad versions due to RAM requirements / screen flickering / saving.

Ok, so you miss a quit key, big deal. Most game have an exit anyway or you just restart / turn off once finished playing.
Old 23 March 2021, 16:31   #35
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
true ! But i was never a fan of spoken dialog in the older Graphic adventures anyway

Even Ron Gilbert said that the Dialog in Monkey Island & Co was always meant to be read.
Speech was a "nessesary evil" to fill the CD-Rom . Often hoffible done... sometime pretty good actually, but it was never like in my head

Even today. The first thing i did when i played THIMBLE WEED PARK, turn off the Speech and i love it !

Aehm .. back to B.A.S.K ,.. yeah they put at least effort into Beneath a Steal Sky CD32 with the added speech BUT to remove the Save feature and replace it with a passord system was not great Thats why i stick to vanilla, but yeah, its neat to hear fully voiced audio on an Classic Amiga
Old 23 March 2021, 17:22   #36
lesta_smsc

Quote:
true ! But i was never a fan of spoken dialog in the older Graphic adventures anyway

Even Ron Gilbert said that the Dialog in Monkey Island & Co was always meant to be read.
Speech was a "nessesary evil" to fill the CD-Rom . Often hoffible done... sometime pretty good actually, but it was never like in my head

Even today. The first thing i did when i played THIMBLE WEED PARK, turn off the Speech and i love it !

Aehm .. back to B.A.S.K ,.. yeah they put at least effort into Beneath a Steal Sky CD32 with the added speech BUT to remove the Save feature and replace it with a passord system was not great Thats why i stick to vanilla, but yeah, its neat to hear fully voiced audio on an Classic Amiga
Yes I did notice the save feature being lost on CD32... but I have both installed!

I had Thimbleweed Park for Android - never fully got into it but I probably didn't give it enough time.

Any other point & clicks adventure games you'd recommend on Amiga to beef up my setup lol.
Old 23 March 2021, 22:35   #37
Torti-the-Smurf

same, both installed

Loved Thimbleweed Park, it really had the feeling of playing one of my beloved Lucasfilm Graphic-Adventures, ohh and the ending, with Ransome...HA .... LOVED IT

Amiga Adventures sugesstions; all LucasFilm/Art Games
Hmm, maybe look at the hole Adventure genre on LemonAmiga or Amiga Hall of Light, you might find something interesting there

Always loved the genre

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 23 March 2021 at 22:45.