English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 February 2010, 19:19   #1
lost_lemming

fixing a faulty key

ok I did search. but this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=sticking+keys - ends too soon for any solution.

I only have 1 bad key I think, on my a500. It's the down arrow key. The one under Del/Help not the one which is also '2' (if you know what I mean)

I seriously need to get this key to work so I can play Pipe Mania properly lol.
Any idea what's causing it not to work? It jumps back up again (so that's ok). What cleaning should be done? I tried to lift the key but I didn't force it out because I didn't want to damage it... I guess there's contacts underneith.

Thanks for reading
Old 15 February 2010, 19:48   #2
Gordon
Settler

Its most probably the membrane. Can never be too sure withot seeing it but ive had 2 cases where my AMIGA keyboard membrane has stopped working. You cant get a used repacement off ebay for about 3 pounds.
Old 15 February 2010, 21:40   #3
Jope
-

Actually it's most probably the rubber elastomer that's under the key stem.
Old 23 March 2010, 04:34   #4
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Hi,

Bumping this thread.

I just tried to get my A1200 out of storage, and its going... SEMI fine.

Some keys are not working,

6, Y, H, N, 8 (Number pad), and F1 works when it wants to.

Are the suggestions in this thread still relevant ?

What is a likely fix?
Old 23 March 2010, 04:55   #5
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
ok I did search. but this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=sticking+keys - ends too soon for any solution.

I only have 1 bad key I think, on my a500. It's the down arrow key. The one under Del/Help not the one which is also '2' (if you know what I mean)

I seriously need to get this key to work so I can play Pipe Mania properly lol.
Any idea what's causing it not to work? It jumps back up again (so that's ok). What cleaning should be done? I tried to lift the key but I didn't force it out because I didn't want to damage it... I guess there's contacts underneith.

Thanks for reading
I had similar problems with my keys on A2000. There are multiple keyboard designs and each can have different problem, but same sticky issue.
You need to take apart the keyboard and examine how does the key works. There can be a spring missing or out of place, or rubber tube is damaged, or key terminals bent. Take it apart don't be afraid.
Old 23 March 2010, 05:04   #6
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
Hi,

Bumping this thread.

I just tried to get my A1200 out of storage, and its going... SEMI fine.

Some keys are not working,

6, Y, H, N, 8 (Number pad), and F1 works when it wants to.

Are the suggestions in this thread still relevant ?

What is a likely fix?
I have similar problem with my A3000 keyboard, when multiple keys are not working there might be an open in one ground trace connecting these keys. In my keyboard, the L Shift, L CTRL, LALT and some other key was not working. I took it apart and with volt meter found an open on ground, I was not able to fix it because you need some liquid silver to paint new trace , which I don't have (my keyboard was using plastic membrane).

You could have different problem like spilled juice or milk or beer, it just need some cleaning .
Old 23 March 2010, 05:44   #7
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I have similar problem with my A3000 keyboard, when multiple keys are not working there might be an open in one ground trace connecting these keys. In my keyboard, the L Shift, L CTRL, LALT and some other key was not working. I took it apart and with volt meter found an open on ground, I was not able to fix it because you need some liquid silver to paint new trace , which I don't have (my keyboard was using plastic membrane).

You could have different problem like spilled juice or milk or beer, it just need some cleaning .
FIXED IT..............

took the KB out, opened it up and reBlew out any crap I could find, sand, dust bunnies, whatever....

Cleaned the graphite pads with Isopropyl, put the KB back together, cleaned the Ribbon contacts......, Works a treat.

[edit] its happening again, with more keys doing it now.

Might be time for a new membrane

Last edited by whiteb; 23 March 2010 at 06:54.
Old 23 March 2010, 07:06   #8
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

The fix is different for each type of keyboard technology.

I recently fixed my A500 which has plastic spacers inbetween two metal 'fingers', I found the best approach was isopropyl and a toothbrush. Membrane types is best with a coarser cloth like denim and isopropyl, clean everything really well.
Old 23 March 2010, 11:24   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
on the a1200 keyboard it wears where you attach it to the motherboard, theres a simple fix involving cutting a bit off the end of the flat cable and cleaning the green stuff off.

do a search as theres a thread about it round here somewhere
Old 23 March 2010, 11:39   #10
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Touch up the graphite pads with a soft pencil then brush off the excess dust. I used to repair a lot of older calculators with membrane keyboards using pencil graphite.
Old 23 March 2010, 12:16   #11
Jope
-

Noooo, just wipe the pads with normal copier paper until they're no longer shiny. The pencil makes a mess and doesn't last as long as getting rid of the burnish on the rubbers. :-)
Old 23 March 2010, 13:46   #12
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

If the pads are worn out, that won't work, Jope.... although conductive paint (the type used to repair PCB tracks) is quite good for this too.
Old 23 March 2010, 15:46   #13
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
If the pads are worn out, that won't work, Jope.... although conductive paint (the type used to repair PCB tracks) is quite good for this too.
Are we talking about the same pad? I mean the rubber.. It's about 3mm thick and the paper trick wears it down maybe hundredths of a millimeter. The pads on the membrane / pcb don't wear out nearly as much.
Old 23 March 2010, 19:58   #14
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Erm, no... we aren't talking the same thing here, are we?

(/me shuts up)
Old 23 March 2010, 20:12   #15
Jope
-

Probably not.. If the black blobs on the membrane/pcb are somehow worn, then it's quite a difficult thing to fix those.

I have had a few where the previous repairman as replaced the blobs on a C-128 keyboard with some solder.. Wasn't a very good substitute.. :-) I guess conductive paint is among the best for that side of the problem. :-)
Old 23 March 2010, 22:08   #16
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I thought so, because you can at least build layers of conductive paint up; that's quite a tough thing to do with solder without damaging the board.
Old 24 March 2010, 01:34   #17
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

What I do not get though, is if its the ribbon cable losing contact with the motherboard connector (Worn Graphite contacts), is why only SOME keys do not work, and the rest do ?
Old 24 March 2010, 01:38   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
on the a1200 keyboard it wears where you attach it to the motherboard, theres a simple fix involving cutting a bit off the end of the flat cable and cleaning the green stuff off.

do a search as theres a thread about it round here somewhere
Here it is - Akira's A600/A1200 keyboard fix with pics!
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51596
Old 24 March 2010, 09:38   #19
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
What I do not get though, is if its the ribbon cable losing contact with the motherboard connector (Worn Graphite contacts), is why only SOME keys do not work, and the rest do ?
The keyboard is a matrix of horizontal and vertical lines that are connected together. If a vertical line stops making contact, all the keys that rely on that vertical line die.