English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 07 February 2017, 06:41   #1
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Floppy drive sound emulation

I have finally gotten around to installing UAE on my main PC (I prefer to use a real Amiga, but that's not really an option for me at the moment). The ability to emulate the clicking sound made by the floppy drive is a nice feature. But it does not exactly sound like a real Amiga floppy drive to me. I was wondering about the possibility of recording the sound from a real Amiga floppy drive in action and using those samples for the drive click emulation. I'm not real familiar with FS-UAE and am not sure if this is already a feature, if it is I'd like instructions as to how to access it. And if not then it's a feature I'd like to request for future versions.
Old 07 February 2017, 12:38   #2
jbl007

Hi,
go to winuae.net and download "Improved drive sounds".
In your FS-UAE directory create a directory named "Floppy Sounds" and put all the .wav files in here.
Now you can change it via config options, for example
floppy_drive_0_sounds = A500Real
Old 08 February 2017, 03:36   #3
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Hi,
go to winuae.net and download "Improved drive sounds".
In your FS-UAE directory create a directory named "Floppy Sounds" and put all the .wav files in here.
Now you can change it via config options, for example
Excellent, that's exactly what I was after, I had a feeling that this was a feature of FS-UAE, as I have used WinUAE in the past and am pretty sure I have noticed the setting in that version of UAE, I just wasn't sure if it was common across all versions.

And the fact that I don't have to go to the trouble of recording the drive sounds myself is even better. Although I may still record my own drive sounds eventually anyway, just for the experience. That and there don't seem to be any A1200 drive sounds in the archive, and that's the machine I'll most likely be emulating.

I do have a question though, which is:

1) Where exactly (in which file) do I enter the string
? I notice that within FS-UAE launcher there is a button labeled "custom configuration", and I assume I can enter the option there to apply the sounds to the current configuration. But what does FS-UAE call its main configuration file, so I can apply these changes to all configurations without having to enter it again for each configuration?

P.S. I did not know about BBcode's CODE2 command until I quoted you just now, I can see this being quite useful. Thankyou.

Last edited by Anakirob; 08 February 2017 at 03:48. Reason: Edit removed a question which was already answered.
Old 08 February 2017, 11:16   #4
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
1) Where exactly (in which file) do I enter the string
?
If you don't use the launcher (only FS-UAE itself) you can write it to a config file named "Host.fs-uae" in your configurations-directory. This file is like a global config file.
If you do use the launcher this file is ignored, in this case you can use Settings/Advanced Settings and enter it here. I haven't tested this but it should work.

BTW: If you use drive sounds you might be also interested in these two options:floppy_drive_volume
floppy_drive_volume_empty

Edit: Regarding A1200 floppy sounds... I don't think it will be usefull to have one. Because even different A500 models sound different (other revisions, floppy brands etc.) I remember this has been discussed many years ago when WinUAE started to support drive sounds. :-)

Last edited by jbl007; 08 February 2017 at 11:24.